2017 Ram Crew cab 5.7L 4x4 As a tow vehicle - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I ordered my 2019 Ram specifically for towing - got the towing-related options I wanted but not any of the bells and whistles that add to the weight, so my payload capacity came in at 1,804 pounds. I have never weighed my 5.0TA, I am sure that I am well within the weight limits and that was kind of the point, never having to calculate or worry about weight.

Most half ton pickups these days, though, are heavy on options and lighter on payload capacity - I'm sure in response to market demand.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I ordered my 2019 Ram specifically for towing - got the towing-related options I wanted but not any of the bells and whistles that add to the weight, so my payload capacity came in at 1,804 pounds. I have never weighed my 5.0TA, I am sure that I am well within the weight limits and that was kind of the point, never having to calculate or worry about weight.

Most half ton pickups these days, though, are heavy on options and lighter on payload capacity - I'm sure in response to market demand.
Hi: davidmurphy02... Our 1/2 ton is so full of "Bells and whistles" that it can't carry half a ton!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty2 View Post
FYI We did have to change from the 5.0TA to the 21NE.
The only way around it was to change the pin box and that’s not allowed by ETI.
And like you said we were pushing weight limits to the extremes.
I hope to take possession of our trailer in a couple of weeks meeting delivery truck in Wisconsin. 👍
Not sure if this helps or not, but I went through a similar evolution when I bought my Escape. At first, I was all over the 5.0TA. But I ended up with a 19 because the truck I bought would have been marginal for towing the 5.0TA, and I decided I wanted the storage afforded by a canopy on the back of the truck. I have to say I never regretted this decision, even after actually seeing a 5.0TA in ETI’s showroom when I picked up the 19. They are really awesome units, but so are the other models. I have learned it’s good to feel like your truck is well matched to your trailer, and you aren’t pushing the payload or any other limits. I think you will be very happy with your new 21!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you looked at the thread “ Trailer weights in the real world “ yesterday there is an interesting post . A member had his Escape 5.0 TA weighed and the pin weight was 920 LBS
Even worse, that value was the result of an error - the actual pin weight based on the scale readings was 980 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I believe we all underestimate weights to fit our purpose so the post was a goodwake up call .
I agree - the entire point of that thread is to give people a realistic idea of what they will be dealing with.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
This is interesting, because looking at that chart there are weights ranging from 520 to 1036, the average is 737. I would really like to see how these trailers where loaded especially the 520 and the 1036. It would seem a drastic extreme.
Other threads have discussed these pin weights and the corresponding configurations and loadings in detail. Yes, both extremes are abnormal conditions.

Quote:
ETI advertises a hitch weight of 650 and that’s what I used when I went shopping for a truck.
I assume that you meant that when shopping for a truck you allowed for 650 pounds of empty trailer pin weight, plus perhaps 100 or more pounds of additional pin weight due to options and stuff in the trailer, plus the weight of the hitch including mounting system, plus the driver and passengers, plus cargo in the truck.

Quote:
The 1660 payload on my F150 has thus far served me well. I have never weighed my rig but being that the truck rides perfectly level I can’t imagine I’m near the max payload.
The truck is probably pretty close to level when loaded right to maximum gross vehicle weight (and so maximum payload) if the load is kept relatively forward. It could be tail-low if the same load is carried further back, so there is more load on the rear axle and less on the front axle. I would take the rig over a scale (which is free here, using highway truck scales) to be sure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We looked at an Escape 5.0 TA but no matter how I finagled the number , I could never honestly get the payload numbers down to a point I felt comfortable.
Even with our Escape 21 which was originally well within our vehicles weight limits , I see the weight slowly creeping up to a point that we may be over our limit very soon.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Other threads have discussed these pin weights and the corresponding configurations and loadings in detail. Yes, both extremes are abnormal conditions.

The truck is probably pretty close to level when loaded right to maximum gross vehicle weight (and so maximum payload) if the load is kept relatively forward. It could be tail-low if the same load is carried further back, so there is more load on the rear axle and less on the front axle. I would take the rig over a scale (which is free here, using highway truck scales) to be sure.
Yup did take into account all of the above and the tonneau cover too. Pin weight would have to be approaching 1000 lbs to put me at my max. The Q1000 grill in front storage and some socks and underwear in cabinets over the bed I don’t see adding adding 350 lbs to the pin so I’m comfortable in thought that it’s in the average not extreme weight range. I bought my truck off the lot after a lot of shopping. I figured the 7500 lbs tow rating was more than enough for a trailer with a GVW of 5500 lbs and after doing the math the 1660 payload would be adequate. And after 3 years I’m totally happy with my choice. The F150 and Escape 5.0 go together perfectly. If I where ordering a truck I might consider a higher payload but not at all sure I’d use it. And anyone shopping for a truck had better do their own research because I found the sales people I dealt with pitifully uneducated.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1500 4x4, 5’7”, airbag, ram, ram box