2020 3.5 ecoboost - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
Last September I paid $42,126 in Las Vegas for a 2020 F-150XLT 3.5EB with max tow package. Only thing I didn't like was no tow mirrors. Solved that problem with tow mirrors from Boost Auto. Took me 10 minutes to exchange Ford factory mirrors with Boost Auto's tow mirrors (that look just like the Ford tow mirrors).

My German Shepherd has plenty of room with the rear seats folded up. I did purchase Oasis Auto seat covers because my German Shepherd (he's all white) sheds, and drools! People don't know the seat covers aren't Ford OEM.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the boost auto mirror info....bookmarked!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #82

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
ECB

I have a 2016 ECO Boost 3.5. The engine has had some issues, not mine but in general. Ford, or whoever built the ECB engine for them decided to change the engine from a port injection system to a direct injection system. Several other companies, most notably BMW made the same decision. Removing the port fuel injector from the intake port did 2 things. The fuel had been injected on the back side of the intake valve cooling the valve some with each injection and injecting carbon cleansing agents in the fuel onto the back of the intake valve. The lack of this port fuel injection causes the intake valve to run hotter and retain carbon deposits that need to be cleaned off. My brother's Mini Cooper cost $1100 to have a BMW dealer clean them. Chemical cleaning kits have been developed for the ECB engines. I bought my 2016 used with 40,000 miles and had it cleaned then for under $300. It does also require an oil change when it is cleaned as chemicals and debris are washed into the oil pan. I have 55,000 miles on the truck now and plan to clean it again at 60,000. A couple of years later Ford again did an engine design change that maintained the direct injector in the combustion chamber but added a port injector to keep the intake valve clean. My son’s work truck is a 2017 3.5 ECB and the 10 speed. He is a manager with Mastercraft and drives over 100,000 per year. He had to have his transmission replaced, they do not repair them. But it has worked fine on the second 100,000. I would much prefer the 10 speed.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
I have a 2016 ECO Boost 3.5. The engine has had some issues, not mine but in general. Ford, or whoever built the ECB engine for them decided to change the engine from a port injection system to a direct injection system. Several other companies, most notably BMW made the same decision.
"EcoBoost" is a brand name used by Ford for their current turbocharged gasoline engine ranges... which are several ranges of engines unrelated except for the use of turbocharging and related technology. These engines are built by Ford, based on engine families first designed by Ford and Mazda, using technology developed with assistance from FEV Group.

Direct fuel injection (meaning injection of fuel directly into the combustion chamber) is a critical part of this technology, since it allows the control of combustion needed to use relatively high compression ratios, particularly in combination with turbocharging. Direct injection is a very common technique used by most (perhaps all) major manufacturers, even without turbocharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
Removing the port fuel injector from the intake port did 2 things. The fuel had been injected on the back side of the intake valve cooling the valve some with each injection and injecting carbon cleansing agents in the fuel onto the back of the intake valve. The lack of this port fuel injection causes the intake valve to run hotter and retain carbon deposits that need to be cleaned off.
A couple of years later Ford again did an engine design change that maintained the direct injector in the combustion chamber but added a port injector to keep the intake valve clean.
I don't think the dual port and direct injection is used on all EcoBoost engines, and other manufacturers don't seem to have a big problem with this. My direct-injected Mazda has no issues, but it only has 120,000 km on it so far.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #84

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
The Ford cyclone engine series was co developed with Mazda in the early or mid 2000s. Direct injection and turbo charging were intended and factored in to design.

While the second generation 3.5 EB deviated somewhat the first gen you can plainly see the similarity. It's interesting that non turbo cyclone motors don't seem to experience timing chain stretch or issues with the VCT at the same rate. (Such as the 3.7 and 3.5 naturally aspirated engines)
Possibly has something to do with the large increase in power and torque and how early in the power band it is.

Like any modern engine, quality oil and reasonable intervals for changes are key. I've been changing my oil at 8000km with full synthetic.

Direct injection has been added to the base non turbo cyclone in the newest F150s (3.3l) and in the 2021 it's paired with the 10 speed

I don't need the exhilarating power of the 3.5 EB so my future truck will be a 3.3 or 2.7 PP truck. Payload and rated towing are the same or slightly lower in the non PP 2.7 trucks, so while I'm sure the 2.7 drastically out performs the 3.3, on paper it can't haul or tow any more.
Payload package (PP) adds heavier axle and springs and increases payload to as high as 2200lbs on a SCAB 4x4.
IIRC the 3.5 EB can be optioned with significantly higher payload than even a PP 2.7, and the highest configuration is with a 5.0.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Payload and rated towing are the same or slightly lower in the non PP 2.7 trucks, so while I'm sure the 2.7 drastically out performs the 3.3, on paper it can't haul or tow any more.
This is not just "on paper". Power has little effect on towing capacity and no effect on payload (and the extra weight of the turbo hurts both), so the 2.7 EcoBoost really can't safely and reliably carry or tow any more than the 3.3; it just hauls and tows about the same amount faster.

Of course payload packages can increase payload and powertrain packages (better cooling, different gearing, etc) can increase GCWR (and thus trailer towing capacity)... regardless of engine power.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote