2020 Highlander Platinum, no factory hitch receiver option - WWYD? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #21

Trailer: N/A
Highlander Hitch

I own a 2010 Highlander and bought the hitch off Amazon ($120.) & installed myself. The 4/7 pin and brake controller I had U-Haul install for $400. (parts/labor) & came with either a one/two year warranty!
popeye8843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
.....the hitch people recommended the Curt Echo Wireless brake controller which we went with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
so will you leave your phone running the Echo app at all times, with the phone screen unlocked just in case you need to manually deploy the brakes in an emergency ?
At one time I was considering Curt Echo Wireless Controller and had the same concerns as John. One solution (I thought) would be to carry a second phone dedicated for the purpose of operating the controller in an emergency. An inexpensive used phone would do the trick. It wouldn't need to be activated or have a data plan.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
The dealers charge about double for parts and installation. I bought a Curt class 3 hitch and a wire harness on ebay and installed it myself in about 60 minutes. You may have to use a small jack to lift the hitch up and hold it in place to install the bolts. The wire harness was a "plug in" installation. Check YouTube for some very good video instructions.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
John, you make the same point I made when the hitch guy told me about this brake controller and yes, if you want to manually apply the trailer brakes you’d have to access through the app. I don’t like this idea at all which is one of the reasons I like the Prodigy P3, but he convinced me and now, quite frankly I’m having second thoughts. I plan on keeping the app open (you don’t need to do this when towing normally). Here’s more info if you’re interested : https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstan View Post
Thanks for all the replies, here is the current plan through a reputable company I have used in the past that also includes the 4 -> 7 pin wiring modifications:

Receiver: Drawtite Hitch 75896

https://www.draw-tite.com/products/t...hHPRxd6OSqDYHl

Tekonsha Primus IQ

https://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...5wjPKPJz0br%7C

The brake controller seems a bit outdated, that said I don't think a brake controller is something I want to trust to a wireless connection anyway.

Regarding increasing the gauge of the power run from the battery, what measurable effects will this have? Does it actually charge your trailer batteries faster while driving? Is it more efficient in draining the tow vehicle battery? I would assume the spec cabling would be sufficient but this would certainly be worth the upgrade if not.

Thanks for all the feedback!

EDIT: Also planning on purchasing the E2 Fastway from Escape!!!
Get the P3 brake controller. It is smaller and has self diagnostics. It is Tekonsha's top model and doesn't cost much more.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Also- for such an expensive trim level you should price the factory hitch option. It definitely looks better and as someone said previously it will be at least 4 inches higher. Some of the after market hitches I see on the Highlanders look hideous. Had a 2013 with factory hitch.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I last had a 2017 4Runner. I wired the brake controller myself. It was simple plug and play. I had to buy a harness.

I just bought a 2019 Tundra 4.6L 4x4 DC, not so straight forward. I bought a new controller and harness, but plan on having a towing shop do it. It's not plug and play, have to splice some wires. The dealer wanted $770 for the hitch package, not including brake controller. I bought a hitch for $225 and the 7 pin was $55.

As far as a transmission monitor, I used a ScanGauge2. See it here, and my experience.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nce-13422.html
Old 03-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I last had a 2017 4Runner. I wired the brake controller myself. It was simple plug and play. I had to buy a harness....
the highlanders with factory tow packages don't have a 7 blade nor the wiring for a brake controller, that all has to be added. the factory tow package only has a 4 pin suitable for a light trailer with lights only.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote