Backing straight... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #61

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Getting through is not really the problem- it's having the trailer continue back straight that I can't quite get. But that was only the 2nd time I'd backed it in- later this week will be the 3rd time.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Good for you Bobbie, GOOD FOR YOU! That's something I haven't been able to master. I can get into a 90 degree campsite and do a U-turn on a wide two lane road, but I cannot back straight back! You don't want to know the trouble I had on my Big Trip when I got stuck in an EZ-Pass only lane on a toll road.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good for you Bobbie, GOOD FOR YOU! That's something I haven't been able to master. I can get into a 90 degree campsite and do a U-turn on a wide two lane road, but I cannot back straight back! You don't want to know the trouble I had on my Big Trip when I got stuck in an EZ-Pass only lane on a toll road.
Just the thought of you trying to back up straight out of a e-z- pass lane is funny, it's one of my nightmares, I figure just go through it and pay the mail fine and toll.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just the thought of you trying to back up straight out of a e-z- pass lane is funny, it's one of my nightmares, I figure just go through it and pay the mail fine and toll.
It was ugly. My traveling companion got out to make certain no one was behind me. There was about a foot on each side of the jersey barrier and I was sweating bullets! Even though the truck tires were straight, there was a small cock on the king pin... that's all it took for the trailer to start swinging the wrong way, first one way, then the other... UGH.

It looks like I should take lessons from Bobbie!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If I was better on the 90 degree turn I might be going straighter into the garage!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #66

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
Too bad you couldn't have a hitch ball on the front of your TV that way you could just push it in.
Humm... Not sure I've ever seen a front hitch for a Subaru.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #67

Seeing your situation in the photos you posted, I'm inclined to second Bob's motion in post #10 above to invest in a Parkit360 Trailer Dolly. Slow, positive control. No surprises. Pricey, but probably your best insurance bet against damage to camper and/or door frame - which might end up being even more pricey. That, and maybe a cheap pair of walkie-talkies so someone inside the garage can give you a quick warning you if something isn't lining up right from their perspective as you enter.
https://parkit360.ca/
Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Your garage is quite dark inside relative to the bright outside sunlight. That probably helps to make it challenging to see what your trailer is doing once it enters the garage. You could try mounting a couple of lights at the back of the garage, one on either side of your trailer (led flashlights would even work). As you back into the garage, watch the lights in your mirrors and keep the trailer lined up so that you always see both lights with the trailer centered between them. If you lose sight of one light your trailer has drifted too far in that direction. You will still need to judge the correct spot to stop.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #69

Hmm, might work, I could hang lights on either side of where I want the trailer. (Back door is a garage door so can't put them there.) That might help. There is light in the garage, you just can't see it with the trailer blocking the opening. I have to get it into the right place first! Then mark where to hang lights.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Do you have the $35 jack wheel?
I've used one to reposition my 17' in my carport, which has a flat concrete floor ( I found the wheel useless on any other surface ).

I just pulled and pushed the trailer until I had it where I wanted it.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Do you have the $35 jack wheel?
I've used one to reposition my 17' in my carport, which has a flat concrete floor ( I found the wheel useless on any other surface ).

I just pulled and pushed the trailer until I had it where I wanted it.
I have a wheel for the jack it came with. But once in the garage I really don't have a lot of room to reposition- both times it has been the back wheels that angled too close to the door side wall so not easy to move. (That's what I did with my Campster- just moved it by hand, but I had more space to work with.) There is storage in the back of the garage behind the trailer which limits maneuverability.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #72

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Getting trailer into garage straight

We had a similar situaion with our previous trailer. We found it impossible to get it straight into the garage as the driveway curves a bit into the door and the opening was only 6" wider than the trailer. The only solution we found was to just get the rear axle (single axle trailer) onto the concrete in the garage as straight as possible then place car dollies under the tires. Then continue backing in while manually pushing the rear of trailer (on dollies) to where you want it. We also put tape on the floor to have a straight line as a target. Yes, it worked but it was somewhat a PITA.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We had a similar situaion with our previous trailer. We found it impossible to get it straight into the garage as the driveway curves a bit into the door and the opening was only 6" wider than the trailer. The only solution we found was to just get the rear axle (single axle trailer) onto the concrete in the garage as straight as possible then place car dollies under the tires. Then continue backing in while manually pushing the rear of trailer (on dollies) to where you want it. We also put tape on the floor to have a straight line as a target. Yes, it worked but it was somewhat a PITA.
UGH. Luckily my driveway is long and straight so I'm not that far off once inside- just enough to make it hard to squeeze past if off-center. (Whacked my forehead on the magnetic door holder yesterday!) But actually, I think if I got the wheels in and then stopped, unhitched, and manually moved the wheel jack to straighten it out, that would work, if I can push it the rest of the way (my neighbor has a handtruck thing to do that with.) (Hitching back up would likely result in the same problem but maybe not, so also worth a try.)

On the plus side, this is great practice for backing a trailer...
Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape
Bobbie54, you are trying to do an almost impossible task to back straight once you lose any markers to guide you. It’s always handy to have a tree, the pier along a boat ramp, the fire ring in a campsite, or whatever to use as a point of reference. Dave Walter’s suggestion of lights is clever, maybe the best idea other than going to a slow and steady manual dolly. https://www.vidaxl.com/e/87184759110...hoC3psQAvD_BwE Here is another option.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Bobbie54, you are trying to do an almost impossible task to back straight once you lose any markers to guide you. It’s always handy to have a tree, the pier along a boat ramp, the fire ring in a campsite, or whatever to use as a point of reference. Dave Walter’s suggestion of lights is clever, maybe the best idea other than going to a slow and steady manual dolly. https://www.vidaxl.com/e/87184759110...hoC3psQAvD_BwE Here is another option.
I have a fairly long, straight driveway- If I could get going straight I should be able to continue straight- but I never get going that straight, even with a lot of back and forth. I think the lights may be the best bet- or one light that I can see to the right of the trailer- if blocked I'm too far over that way.

Interesting option- but I don't see where it attaches to the trailer.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #76

Some dollies attach via a bolt on frame attachment, manual ones normally attach to the coupler as they have a 2" ball, but the tongue weight is an issue but not with a smaller trailer. Home Depot, Amazon, ETrailer all carry them...
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #77

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
17 tongue weight

After loading the 17, one gas tank full, the other part full, empty black and grey, 1/2 fresh, Checked for level and I had 450#. It's a good thing the Durango has a lot of capacity or we would need to take less stuff.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #78

You are supposed to be out of the trailer when weighing it Jack.........
Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #79

My neighbor has a hand dolly so I'll borrow it when I put the trailer back and see how it works.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
My neighbor has a hand dolly so I'll borrow it when I put the trailer back and see how it works.
As long as your driveway and garage are level, you should be good to go with your small single axle 15A. If not, have wheel chocks at hand to prevent a runaway in whatever direction is downhill. Best of luck....