Current top picks for tow vehicle for 21' - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When looking for a tow vehicle to tow around a new $40,000 trailer
safety , ability to tow , braking , payload etc would be at the top of my list. MPG'S would be somewhere far down my list , probably on the last page . No one gets hurt or killed by the loss of a few MPG'S.
Can't agree more, that's why I got the truck I have
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #102

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I do slightly better not towing. Average towing mileage is similar to yours, about 15.2 mpg. Non towing averages 25, with an even mix of freeways at 65 mph and secondary roads at 55 mph. 2015, non 4wd, 2.7L EcoBoost.

There are very few if any tradeoffs with the F150 EcoBoost. Good fuel economy, passing is a snap, plenty of reserve power even on steep grades, and the cabin comfort is superb. I'm sticking with it next March when my current lease is up. There's just nothing better out there imho.
My 150 is a 4x4 ,probably accounts for mileage differance. What's your axle ratio?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #103

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Ecoboost question

This is a question for the ecoboost owners on here. If my wife and I decide to upsize the Tacoma in response to purchase of the 21, the Ford ecoboost was one of the alternatives on our list, until recently at any rate. Since my initial interest, I have run into apparently reliable reports of the ecoboost engine having potentially serious issues with intake valve fouling, a problem which results from changing to the direct fuel injection design. Apparently, the combination of egr and no fuel in the intake air stream past the intake valves coats them with oil residue which hardens and builds up to the point that air delivery is interfered with enough to cause the engine to misbehave by missing or the like. This problem has also been run into with other makers using direct injection, Mercedes apparently included.

Do any of you owners, particularly with higher mileage on their ecoboosts have any experience to share here? My wife and I buy new or young and keep for a long time, so it is the long term consequences of this issue that bother me. The last report I located suggested that Ford's only solution to this is to replace the entire bloody head, which is a non starter for me.

Thanks,

Allan Edie
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #104

A good friend of mine, who runs a Mercedes shop, told me Mercedes had an issue with some of the 5 cylinder diesels they put in their Sprinters. Over time, the injectors would actually cut into and dig holes in the heads, ruining them.
VERY expensive.

Interesting video from an actual Ford Tech on the EcoBoost carbon deposit issue:

thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #105
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Mine's not high mileage Allan, and I've no info on the long term downside (if any) of the EcoBoost design. In my case it's the perfect fit, but then again I am leasing and only put about 8K miles on it per year.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #106

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated. The video link provided is one of the items which originally identified the issue for me.

As far as I recall, the intake valve issue that Mercedes is dealing with is the same as the one with the ecoboost engine - valve fouling in a direct injected gasoline engine. I understand that Mercedes at least, and perhaps other makers, are attempting to cure the problem by blasting the backside of the valves with walnut shells, which can be done without removing the heads (I can just hear the conversation in the shop with the tech that does this with the intake valve open). No sign that Ford has tried this yet.

Interesting that the Sprinter engine is also having problems, we were once thinking of a sprinter van as the next rv, but no longer. Too many issues with the diesel, and too expensive both initially and from depreciation. Even the better half has come around, and she hates towing - couldn't back a trailer to save a life at this point. We may have to work on that...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #107
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by james p View Post
Is there anyone on this site towing an Escape 21 with a current AWD Honda RIdgeline?
I have 21 with Pilot AWD.. I was comfortable buying the SUV given the towing reviews of the Ridgeline I saw online, as well as others here who have the Highlander.
You'll most likely have slightly better result with the Ridgeline which has exact same drivetrain as me, with less rear end weight.

By the way, I think there's a misunderstanding about Honda engines towing power. They are meant to be rev'ed. Traditional Honda engines need to be rev'ed to get torque and power. I love rev'ing my S2000 to 9K rpm. There's no lack of power with Pilot/Ridgeline if you are not afraid to drop down to 3rd gear and rev to 5 or 6K rpm.
Also, you'll love the super-handling AWD when not towing (they don't call it SH-AWD, but it feels the same as the SH-AWD in the Acuras). I love how the Pilot feels on curvy roads at 70mph along with the 0-60 6 sec launches. It almost feels like I'm driving the S2000, lol.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #108

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Good thread, I have 21 on order, and have been considering TV's. I already have 09 Tundra 4.7 V8, nice to know others are having success towing 21 with this truck.

I have been towing 17' Casita with it, and is just about perfect for me. I originally towed 17' Casita with PreRunner 2.4 4 cylinder and know what it feels like to be under powered. I don't drive faster than 65mph, but don't like to strain my TV, would rather have too much TV than just get by, for sure.

Have been looking at F150 EcoBoost 2.7 and 3.5 V6's, wondering if I would be happier with 3.5? Or, Tundra 4.6 and 5.7? V8's. So this thread was a good one for me. Fortunately, will probably still have Tundra 4.7 V8 and use to tow 21 for awhile before I buy another TV. So, will be a good test for what I will want to replace it with.

The F150 is very attactive with lighter alum body and EcoBoost engine that makes huge torque at low rpms. I love Toyota, but F150 are making Tundra look a little dated IMO.

Another point I have noticed, with web, it's easier to buy a good used TV now a days, compared to maybe 10 years ago. I will probably buy a used TV and save big on 1st year depreciation. Thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #109

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
A good friend of mine, who runs a Mercedes shop, told me Mercedes had an issue with some of the 5 cylinder diesels they put in their Sprinters. Over time, the injectors would actually cut into and dig holes in the heads, ruining them.
VERY expensive.

Interesting video from an actual Ford Tech on the EcoBoost carbon deposit issue:

The video is for the 1 generation eco boost ford produced and considering how many of them were sold there have been very few problems in this regard. Maybe in 5 or 10 more years...who knows.
They are now on their second generation eco boost design and have addressed this possible concern with a dual fuel delivery system. Don’t let this video put you off of buying a new F150. I have had both engines and they are great. I could go on and on how I love this truck but I am sure everybody loves their truck...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #110
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I could go on and on how I love this truck but I am sure everybody loves their truck...
I certainly do. I could fill volumes about how great my 2015 2.7L Ecoboost has been. In a couple months I'm swapping it out for a 2018, with the direct and port injection that you mentioned, and a 10 speed. They start building it next month.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I certainly do. I could fill volumes about how great my 2015 2.7L Ecoboost has been. In a couple months I'm swapping it out for a 2018, with the direct and port injection that you mentioned, and a 10 speed. They start building it next month.
You will love it. Aluminum body so no need to worry about the truck bed rusting because of a few scratches. No need to get a box liner or have it coated. That was $500 Canadian in my pocket. I will just give the rust free box a quick spray with something when I sell it.
Did a cross Canada return trip this fall with the 10 speed and towing a 4,500 lb trailer the same size as the 19 was great. 9th gear on the flat with no head wind. 8th gear if there was a head wind or little hill. 7th gear for the hills.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #112
Site Team

Quote:
You will love it. Aluminum body so no need to worry about the truck bed rusting because of a few scratches.
Yeah, although I don't yet have the 10 speed, I know about the aluminum. I'm an "early adopter".

Old 12-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #113

The only thing I would have done differently in my factory order 2017 was select a different axle ratio. I think there was 3 different choices...so I selected the middle one which was 3.55. Knowing now how much power it has I would have selected the 3.31. That would be plenty of power to tow anything under 5,000lbs.
With the 3.55 and not towing, I end up in 10th gear at 100 km/hr so there are no more gears left when the speed is 120 km/hr. The rpm just rises which I am sure eats up more fuel. Not that the rpm is high at 120 km/hr...I think it is around 2,000 but it has plenty of torque to do 120 km/hr at 1700 rpm with the right rear end.
So my recommendation is...if you just use your new 10 speed f150 for towing, get the 3.55. If you are towing 5TA or 21 a lot in the mountains get the 3.55. If you drive your truck more on the hwy without the trailer than with and you have a 19 or smaller, order the 3.31. If you are a flat lander the 3.31 will tow the 21 and 5 just fine. And if you make a mistake...don’t worry the 3.5 L ecoboost will just tow the crap out of anything that Escape makes.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:38 AM   #114
Site Team

It's already on order. I've very specific preferences which are mainly stock, because my emphasis is on the best fuel efficiency, rather than towing capacity. My 2015 2.7L Lariat has the tow package, but with the regular 3.15 axle ratio. With just the stock setup, I still have almost 8000 lbs towing capacity, and plenty of payload. The 2018 will have the same stock axle as my current truck, and the newly redesigned 2.7L engine. I've found towing our 19 with the regular axle to be just fine, towing everywhere from the Rockies to the plains. And, I get great fuel economy, about 26 mpg. Add a 10 speed and dual injection, and I may even get slightly better mileage than my current one.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #115

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Agreed!
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #116

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
No need to get a box liner or have it coated.
While not necessary in some cases and for some folk, I would not consider not doing a good spray coat (not a fan of drop in liners). The main reason is the traction it provides for people and cargo. I used Line-X spray, and the cost was almost bang on the $500 you mentioned.

Things slide around too much without it and the paint gets scuffed up real bad, especially with stuff like rocks, gravel, pallets, and most anything. I have a couple spots that got scraped off, but no problem, as I can just take it in to have them touched up for free for the life of the truck.

Things are also a lot more slippery when snowy or wet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #117

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our truck has the 5.7 Ltr , Hemi V8 with the 8 speed transmission and a 3.92 rearend . We also have the Line X spray in bed liner.
Works okay for us and our needs
If we purchase a Ford Eco Boost with the 10 speed transmission we may consider a 3.73 rearend because of the turbos but ?
Our truck is primarily used for towing so the ability to tow is our uppermost concern.
A friend of ours recently purchased a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel with the 3.41 rearend for towing his 34 ft lightweight 5th wheel .
He is not happy with the trucks performance when towing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #118
Site Team

While it's true that a higher axle ratio means better towing capability, for me it comes down to what I'm towing. If it's a 8000 lb trailer behind me instead of 4000, my axle choice might be different. I like your choice Steve vs your friends'. Why would you get a heavy duty truck with such a low axle ratio to tow a 5th wheel? Not a good match up.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While not necessary in some cases and for some folk, I would not consider not doing a good spray coat (not a fan of drop in liners). The main reason is the traction it provides for people and cargo. I used Line-X spray, and the cost was almost bang on the $500 you mentioned.

Things slide around too much without it and the paint gets scuffed up real bad, especially with stuff like rocks, gravel, pallets, and most anything. I have a couple spots that got scraped off, but no problem, as I can just take it in to have them touched up for free for the life of the truck.

Things are also a lot more slippery when snowy or wet.
There are also rubber mats available that keep stuff from sliding at much less cost. You can usually make them work in your next truck as well or sell them to recover some of the money.
I made a plywood drawer that has 4 wheels on each side that my generator is locked onto. This way the generator just pulls out over the tailgate to use. Real quick to cool down the trailer for a high heat lunch stop.
I will do a DIY thread on the pickup bed drawer and bug screen next year...

Old 12-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #120

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
There are also rubber mats available that keep stuff from sliding at much less cost. You can usually make them work in your next truck as well or sell them to recover some of the money.
I made a plywood drawer that has 4 wheels on each side that my generator is locked onto. This way the generator just pulls out over the tailgate to use. Real quick to cool down the trailer for a high heat lunch stop.
I will do a DIY thread on the pickup bed drawer and bug screen next year...
I have used the rubber mats, and while then perform good for keeping stuff in place, they are bad for gunk getting under them and have to be removed to clean frequently. As well, a mat would have to be cut out to accommodate the hitch, and leave a void when the hitch is out.

This is why there are so many solutions out there, some of them work for some folks, but others need/want something different for their situation. Case in point, I have no need for a genset living in a cooler climate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote