DIY install of F150 bed rails for 5th wheel hitch - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Please be aware that ETI’s published pin weight of 646 lbs. is, IMO, rather optimistic. The scale weight of mine (now referred to as a classic with its “airplane door”) is around 740 lbs., and the second generation 5.0TAs are heavier, but I am not sure if the pin weight between the two (fully empty) is the same.
I am towing with a 2020 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost Super Cab and Max Tow Package, not using an Anderson hitch. I use a Demco Recon, @ 100 lbs. If it helps, the sticker on the pillar of the driver’s door lists maximum passenger and cargo weight as 1,937 lbs. from the factory. That is no longer entirely accurate because the first thing I did was to install a Roadmaster HD Active Suspension. I’m not sure what it weighs but any weight addition after purchase has to be subtracted and the hitch reduces it by an additional 100 lbs. But I know I am well below the maximum when the truck is loaded for our excursions. If you are ordering a truck to your specifications, I would insist that the individual at the dealership confirm with the factory what the maximum cargo capacity will be based on the options you choose. My previous F-150 was 1,479 and I was skirting the maximum passenger/cargo capacitiy.
I too was interested in Demco Recon, but, after speaking with them, found the estimated payload impact to be approximately 150 lbs - 94 lbs for the hitch and about 50 lbs for the rails (estimate I got from Demco). I switched my plans to Andersen Ultimate with the calculation - 50 lbs for the rails, 35 lbs for Andersen Ultimate, 15 lbs for the chains, etc.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyc_y2k@yahoo.com View Post
thank you for the quick reply. I do have lots of questions regarding to the powerboost (actually 5.0TA too, but I will focus on the truck first). questons: 1. the above 1200lb. minimum payload doesn't include the truck cargo weight. What will it be roughly? 2. Will Andersen ultimate on rails can be installed without problem? What's other hardware needed? 3. When ordering my truck, How do I know the approximate payload after adding options?

I sent a request not to disclose my email, thank you for the reminder.
I do not have my 5,0, so questions on that are better answered by the much more experienced posters here.

You are right, 1200 lbs was my minimum payload need estimate going in. We are going to be very limited in putting any cargo in the truck. We are not packrats and also expecting to have some tie downs installed (still need to find an installer) in the camper itself so that any additional cargo can be stored in a secure manner inside the 5.0 near / slightly rear of its two axles. That way it will not contribute to the tongue weight of the trailer. We are going to keep the cargo in the truck box between low to no. So, it is a conscious decision on our part partly as we wanted practical options like 7.2kW generator and luxuries like massage seats and that ,unfortunately, forced the high end trim and options.

Without knowing what trim level, box length, drive (4x2/4x4) you are targeting, it is hard to share much information.

Currently, there are no 5th-wheel hitches / fitments for 2021 F150. I am in touch with 3 manufacturers and they are all working on modifications. So, I am betting on one being available in the next 3-4 months when I will need it.

Also, I think this strand is quite off-topic. Perhaps we should move it to a thread by itself. You should also know that there are few trucks on the lot and it impossible to get real data on payloads. It is definitely not as simple as asking the dealer, at least at this stage.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 07:51 PM   #43

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
Last September I installed Curt rails in the bed of our F150 4WD 6.5 bed with standard gas tank. I used the Curt vehicle specific bracket kit. It is very similar to the standard Reese kit and installs in the same position with the rear rail directly over an underbed cross member with the mounting bolts on each side. So there is no option for a different position unless you use a universal kit that requires drilling into the frame. After installing the rear rail I used the Andersen hitch to locate the front rail. The Curt kit has the 4 tabs bending inward so that the bolts install between the tabs and the frame, a very limited space. Even with the standard tank the front rail has a really restricted operating space. I used a ratcheting closed wrench with an extension handle. I could only access about 1/2 the bolts with my torque wrench and the bracket to frame torque exceeded my wrench max. I had the truck's first service scheduled so my dealer torqued all the bolts to spec for a nominal charge. They said the front caused problems and they had to find a very shallow socket. The Reese outboard bracket and rails seem to put the mounting hardware in a more accessible location with the tabs bending out away from the frame. In hindsight, the Reese outboards seem like a better choice, but I agree with Perry (and I'm a few years older) tightening those bolts without a lift is literally a pain in the back. Good luck with your install. Anxiously waiting for our 5.0 pickup in mid-March.
I also used the Curt bracket to install the rails in my 2023 F150 w/5.5' bed & 36 gallon fuel tank. It was quite a job, but I was able to get it installed. The problem though was trying to torque the 8 outer carriage bolts that connect the rails, through the bed, to the Curt bracket. There's not enough space between the truck frame and under side of the bed to get a torque wrench in there, so I also used a ratcheting closed end wrench to get it as tight as I could. Took it in to a local truck repair shop today to have them torque the 8 bolts to the required 110 ft-lbs using an offset "crowsfoot" attachment on the torque wrench. Unfortunately they couldn't get to the bolts either. So if anyone has suggestions on how to torque these bolts to the proper specs, it would be appreciated. In the mean time, I'll be checking with with some other local shops to see if they can figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9244.jpg   IMG_9238.jpg   IMG_9239.jpg   IMG_9241.jpg  
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:11 PM   #44

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeluca View Post
I also used the Curt bracket to install the rails in my 2023 F150 w/5.5' bed & 36 gallon fuel tank. It was quite a job, but I was able to get it installed. The problem though was trying to torque the 8 outer carriage bolts that connect the rails, through the bed, to the Curt bracket. There's not enough space between the truck frame and under side of the bed to get a torque wrench in there, so I also used a ratcheting closed end wrench to get it as tight as I could. Took it in to a local truck repair shop today to have them torque the 8 bolts to the required 110 ft-lbs using an offset "crowsfoot" attachment on the torque wrench. Unfortunately they couldn't get to the bolts either. So if anyone has suggestions on how to torque these bolts to the proper specs, it would be appreciated. In the mean time, I'll be checking with with some other local shops to see if they can figure it out.
Looks like the crows foot should work if you mean this. My 2014 Ford F150 rail mount bracket had 2 nuts that were impossible to access with a normal socket on a torque wrench. I used this on the torque wrench without issue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2793.jpg  
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:17 PM   #45

Yes, that's exactly what the mechanic tried, but he said it kept slipping off - guess I need to find another shop.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:49 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I also tried a crows foot wrench and it keep slipping off.

I sacrificed a box end wrench, cut it off , drilled a hole in the cut off section, welded an extension in the hole and connect the torque wrench to it.

You have to do some math to figure out the multiple factor when moving the torque center out from directly over the nut.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
I also tried a crows foot wrench and it keep slipping off.

I sacrificed a box end wrench, cut it off , drilled a hole in the cut off section, welded an extension in the hole and connect the torque wrench to it.

You have to do some math to figure out the multiple factor when moving the torque center out from directly over the nut.
Thanks Occer - looks like this might work: https://snap-on-products-hr.imgix.ne...t&fit=max&q=30
Old 10-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #48

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Torque adapter wrenches come in many sizes and from a few vendors.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Torque adapter wrenches come in many sizes and from a few vendors.
Thanks Randy - ordered this 3/4" torque adapter and was able to get everything torqued down properly, but it was no easy job. As mentioned by Occer, I had to calculate the torque setting on the wrench based on the offset of the adapter. Had I known how much work it was going to be I probably would have had it done by a shop, but it was satisfying getting it done as a DIY.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9322.jpg