Do I Even Need the ETI Hitch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #21
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
PLUS...if you decide that you want tow mirrors, they are very easy to replace with Toyota Tundra OEM tow mirrors. Plug and play quick to do. Actually a lighting improvement for turn signals and running lights that weren't on my SR5.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:41 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have crossed to Chilliwack/Osoyoos at least a dozen times, all without a w/d set up. My truck/Escape set up is level and tows straight. I have air shocks installed on the truck and they keep everything level.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
A WDH helps level your vehicle to the trailer...
I'm not sure what "level your vehicle to the trailer" is intended to mean, but the trailer should be level and can be made level regardless of the type of hitch or tow vehicle used. If the tow vehicle doesn't have air suspension, and sits tail-low without WDH, then adding WDH does make the tow vehicle closer to level.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
thank you for your reply. i'm leaning toward getting one of the hitches that eti offers now having read this; the main reason being the long distances i will be driving and the amount of big truck traffic on the alaska highway. those guys don't slow down!
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Like AZJack, I have towed many loads with many different tow rigs in the last 50 years. I am a 100% believer in the WDH, closely adjusted for the job at hand and well maintained. The added weight, increased hook-up time and weight of the unit parts are insignificant in my view when an approaching tractor trailer looses a wheel and an evasive maneuver is needed to avoid a collision with a semi tire at 65 MPH and closing. I’ve done that and it will get your attention. You have made the correct decision. A jackknife is good in your pocket, not so good with a truck and trailer.
Best of luck always
Iowa Dave
Old 03-31-2021, 03:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ditto Iowa Dave's post

I agree wholeheartedly.

I've towed with and without a WDH and find the driving less bouncy and more secure with one. They may add some level of safety, depending on tow vehicle.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
An expensive WDH is not necessarily better than an inexpensive one.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have a 2018 Tundra CM, in the owners manual it specifies "If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb, a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required"
"If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb, a weight distribution hitch with sufficient capacity is required" hope this helps
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #29
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phsw98 View Post
I have a 2018 Tundra CM, in the owners manual it specifies "If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb, a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required"
"If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb, a weight distribution hitch with sufficient capacity is required" hope this helps
Amazing stuff can be found in the owners manual.
Sadly, the complexity of the manuals at times, are equal to the complexity of the vehicle.
If you have trouble sleeping, reading a chapter may cause drowsiness.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
I am currently waiting for delivery of a Toyota 4Runner to pull my 2019 21'. I have a Fastway hitch which has never worked well, and I would love to change to a different one. It is too heavy for me to put on and take off and constantly needs adjusting and adds too much to the tongue weight. As I am newly on my own, I need a hitch that I can manage on my own. I an interested in the Anderson Hitch, but do not know which one I need, or if there is a better one on the market that would not weigh as much as the Fastway and is less trouble. HELP. This is the best resource I have found for information and have discovered that repair and sales people see an older woman coming in and start planning the purchase of their new boat.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
phsw98, I'm still trying to figure out how to change the time on the display panel for daylight savings time. Thanks for the reply. That does sound like the right answer.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
As mentioned above I stopped using the Andersen. In using it I found it requires a significant amount of raising and lowering the tongue. An electric jack is a must. There still is a great deal of alignment, it works best if you can angle your tow vehicle exactly as it was when you unhitched . Something very difficult to repeat.

After stopping use I found via the Airstream forum that the Anderson can cause premature wear on the Ram coupler. Only noticeable when you stop using it.

I would recommend doing your due diligence and search the internet for other opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
I am currently waiting for delivery of a Toyota 4Runner to pull my 2019 21'. I have a Fastway hitch which has never worked well, and I would love to change to a different one. It is too heavy for me to put on and take off and constantly needs adjusting and adds too much to the tongue weight. As I am newly on my own, I need a hitch that I can manage on my own. I an interested in the Anderson Hitch, but do not know which one I need, or if there is a better one on the market that would not weigh as much as the Fastway and is less trouble. HELP. This is the best resource I have found for information and have discovered that repair and sales people see an older woman coming in and start planning the purchase of their new boat.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote