Full Size Spare Tire - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
I have a 2018 19' Escape Trailer. My tow vehicle was a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 376,000 Kilometers on it. I decided to buy a new Honda Ridgeline as I was happy with the performance and reliability. I was disappointed to note that, unlike the 2006 model, that the 2020 Ridgeline cannot hold a full size spare in the spare tire location. Since the Escape Trailer spare could fit in this 2020 Ridgeline, has anyone changed the rear of their Escape Trailer to hold a full size spare tire.
FYI-
We certainly needed our spare tire for our Escape 19 2015 trailer when we were in Toronto, 2019.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So neither all season nor all weather are effective in the winter? So snow tires become the norm?

All-weather are effective in the winter, just not as effective as full on snow tread ( which wears more rapidly ).
Old 10-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #43

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
I have a 2018 19' Escape Trailer. My tow vehicle was a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 376,000 Kilometers on it. I decided to buy a new Honda Ridgeline as I was happy with the performance and reliability. I was disappointed to note that, unlike the 2006 model, that the 2020 Ridgeline cannot hold a full size spare in the spare tire location. Since the Escape Trailer spare could fit in this 2020 Ridgeline, has anyone changed the rear of their Escape Trailer to hold a full size spare tire.
I’ve gone round and round on this, but I think I’ll add a hitch mounted spare tire carrier to my 19 Escape ( delivery in the Spring of 2021) towed by my 2018 Ridgeline. Ridgeline wheels are large compared to the small bed space available to carry a FS spare. I’d rather use the bed for other things.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:34 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRCURTIS View Post
Here is what we devised to carry a full-sized spare for our Cayenne. Solid with the tie down straps. Not beautiful, but quite functional so far. Uses a two receiver adapter, a flat step unit and a modified Thule bike rack. The Thule allows us to mount either our tandem bike rack and one tray rack for a regular bike or two tray racks for two regular bikes above the spare. Also had a local fabrication shop make a hitch receiver bracket for additional support of the hitch receiver tube given the potential for added stress. Have only towed with this for about 3000 miles - so far, so good - touch wood we have not needed either spare yet.
That appears to be adding a lot of unbalanced load to that rear hitch, which has a stated capacity. Hope it works.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I towed a 17 with a 2010 RAV4 Sport. That year, Toyota decided to do away with the spare on the rear door and put run flat tires on the Sport model. Run flat tires, at least on the RAV4 are/were about the worst idea ever. Harsh ride, no winter traction, fast wearing, and expensive. I replaced them with standard tires (Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max) & built a roof rack for a spare. I later added a cover.

I also switched to 4 snow tires to deal with Oswego's snowy winters.
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_5781.jpg  
Old 10-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
Sorry cant advise on the spare tire ?

We are considering buying an rl to tow a 17; but more likely the 19. Could you please share all your thoughts on the rl for towingthe 19.

Thanks in advance, ken
My 2006 Ridgeline has had no problem towing the Escape 19 for the past 2 years. I generally travel at between 100 to 110 Kilometers per hour (say 62 to 70 MPH) when towing. On steep hills (I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada which is close to the Rockies), I am not always able to maintain that speed but 99% of the time it isn't a problem.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
Is there a chance we could see your 19 and discuss the rl also.

Thanks
Ken and diana
I would be pleased to show you our Escape 19 and the 2006 Ridgeline. The new 2020 Ridgeline is being picked up on October 15 and then going for 3 M Film and Ceramic coating so wouldn't be available for viewing until say the 20th of the month. Give me a call at 403-208-2719.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So neither all season nor all weather are effective in the winter? So snow tires become the norm?
All-weather tires are pretty good in the winter; they're not quite as good as modern dedicated winter ("snow") tires, but still far better than any winter tire available a few decades ago. I tried Nokian WR (all weather) tires on both our Sienna and my Focus, and went back to dedicated winters for the next set, but I was living in a rural area; if I lived in Vancouver I would probably use all-weathers all the time on the van (but not a car in which I valued summer handling highly).

Lots of people drive through the whole winter on "all season" tires here in Alberta, particularly in urban areas. Of course, they also get stuck and crash. The Edmonton Police Service switched to all-weather tires a few years ago, so they could avoid seasonal tire changes and still have adequate winter traction. Many - probably most - people here switch between winter and summer (which themselves are likely all-season) tires seasonally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Glad I have the 5.0TA necessitating a truck as a tow vehicle. Since Ford still puts a full sized spare on the F-150, mounting a full-sized spare somewhere else because one wouldn’t fit in the space designed for the “donut” hadn’t been a problem. Do to WEIGHT concerns, I suppose it is only a matter of time until Ford takes the COST-CUTTING step of eliminating the full-sized spare. If so, because it is under the cargo box it will still be possible to dump (or dunk) the donut and change to a real tire.
On a side note, I have purchased three new F-150s. In each case, the spare was a different brand than the tires installed on the four wheels. I haven’t yet figured out the logic or reason for that.
Unfortunately, I do not believe it is true anymore. I am looking to (special) order a 2021 F150 - and based upon the options (FX4), it upsizes the tires on the vehicle to 20" but the spare is specifically listed as 18". I asked on a Ford forum whether that was standard practice (answer - yes) and whether there was a way / option to get same size spare (answer - silence ).

So, one of the open topics is to figure out how critical this is and how might I be able to match the tire size exactly.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
.... I am looking to (special) order a 2021 F150 - and based upon the options (FX4), it upsizes the tires on the vehicle to 20" but the spare is specifically listed as 18".
So, one of the open topics is to figure out how critical this is and how might I be able to match the tire size exactly.
I believe you'll find that the 20" tire is a 275/60R20 while the 18" is a 265/70R18. Those are within 0.4" of each other in both width and diameter. While Ford may not be accommodating on a swap it should be an easy matter to fit the 20" in the normal spare-tire storage location.

Like-new take-off OE tire/wheels complete with TPMS are often available through sources like truck forums, Craigslist, or EBay at very steep discounts (a surprising number of new-truck buyers immediately swap to aftermarket tire/wheels for a variety of reasons, 'sensible' or otherwise ). That's how I got the as-new OE-matching road-wheel for my Ridgeline at a small fraction of new discount Dealer pricing, even including cross-country shipping.

Then you can do a 5-wheel rotation pattern to keep 'em all 'even' which helps if you want to change tire brand or type when they all wear-out at the same time.

Just for your consideration, enjoy the new truck!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I believe you'll find that the 20" tire is a 275/60R20 while the 18" is a 265/70R18. Those are within 0.4" of each other in both width and diameter. While Ford may not be accommodating on a swap it should be an easy matter to fit the 20" in the normal spare-tire storage location.

Like-new take-off OE tire/wheels complete with TPMS are often available through sources like truck forums, Craigslist, or EBay at very steep discounts (a surprising number of new-truck buyers immediately swap to aftermarket tire/wheels for a variety of reasons, 'sensible' or otherwise ). That's how I got the as-new OE-matching road-wheel for my Ridgeline at a small fraction of new discount Dealer pricing, even including cross-country shipping.

Then you can do a 5-wheel rotation pattern to keep 'em all 'even' which helps if you want to change tire brand or type when they all wear-out at the same time.

The outer diameter of a 20” and 18” is almost the same. But I will say this: I had 20” tires on my first F-150 and I hated the $&#>%£€ things. I did not special order that truck and I personally would never have them again. It had Pirelli tires and they rode like the wheels on Fred Flintstone’s car.

While 20” tires may be attractive, but when it comes time to replace the tires, the choice of replacement tires is extremely limited, or at least it was in 2014. I can see “thin” tires on a Camaro or a Challenger, but not so much on a truck.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #52

Quote:
The outer diameter of a 20” and 18” is almost the same. But I will say this: I had 20” tires on my first F-150 and I hated the $&#>%£€ things. I did not special order that truck and I personally would never have them again. It had Pirelli tires and they rode like the wheels on Fred Flintstone’s car.

While 20” tires may be attractive, but when it comes time to replace the tires, the choice of replacement tires is extremely limited, or at least it was in 2014. I can see “thin” tires on a Camaro or a Challenger, but not so much on a truck.
Agree 100% with all of that (but I don't even find 'em attractive - too 'skinny' for my eye), wouldn't have them myself. I've no idea why Ford foists 20" on buyers for the FX4 package as mentioned by @kavm - makes no sense at all to me

(less sidewall for 4x4 use seems contradictory to the application - unless the only interest is 'style', not rough-road capability )
Old 10-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #53

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
My 2006 Ridgeline has had no problem towing the Escape 19 for the past 2 years. I generally travel at between 100 to 110 Kilometers per hour (say 62 to 70 MPH) when towing. On steep hills (I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada which is close to the Rockies), I am not always able to maintain that speed but 99% of the time it isn't a problem.
Do you use a Weight distribution hitch setup with your Ridgeline? Anti-sway bars?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Thank you so much, Centex! Appreciate the explanation. It helps a lot.

We don’t have a choice in the matter of the OEM tire, as FX4 is important to our planned usage. It is very good to know that we can do a replacement for the OE size and fit it in the spare tire storage location.

It is really poor for Ford to stick us with this task, the most unpleasant of which is to get rid of the spare Ford sells us the truck with.

As for how the 20” tires ride, we will just have to see, Obviously, Ford is making the choice. We will test drive it and, if it is not acceptable, we will rethink our choice of the vehicle.

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2020, 04:36 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Thank you so much, Centex! Appreciate the explanation. It helps a lot.

We don’t have a choice in the matter of the OEM tire, as FX4 is important to our planned usage. It is very good to know that we can do a replacement for the OE size and fit it in the spare tire storage location.

It is really poor for Ford to stick us with this task, the most unpleasant of which is to get rid of the spare Ford sells us the truck with.

As for how the 20” tires ride, we will just have to see, Obviously, Ford is making the choice. We will test drive it and, if it is not acceptable, we will rethink our choice of the vehicle.

Thanks again!
Are you saying Ford will NOT allow you to order an FX4 with 18-inch wheels?
The ride on my Pirelli 20 inches was bad, but the biggest concern was the limited number of suitable 20-inch replacement truck tires. Consider this: You are out in the small town boonies and you get a nail in the sidewall; unrepairable. Unless there is a big tire retailer out in the middle of next to nowhere, you are not going to easily find a replacement. I will add the cutesy line people sometimes use on this forum. “Don’t ask me how I know.” I “love” my F-150 but if I were in that situation, I would tell the dealer to swap the 20s with another new truck on their lot for its 18s or I’m not buying it, period. There are enough people who think pickup trucks are cool who never use them for anything other than commuting who would be happy to buy a truck with 20-inch wheels.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Are you saying Ford will NOT allow you to order an FX4 with 18-inch wheels?
The ride on my Pirelli 20 inches was bad, but the biggest concern was the limited number of suitable 20-inch replacement truck tires. Consider this: You are out in the small town boonies and you get a nail in the sidewall; unrepairable. Unless there is a big tire retailer out in the middle of next to nowhere, you are not going to easily find a replacement. I will add the cutesy line people sometimes use on this forum. “Don’t ask me how I know.” I “love” my F-150 but if I were in that situation, I would tell the dealer to swap the 20s with another new truck on their lot for its 18s or I’m not buying it, period. There are enough people who think pickup trucks are cool who never use them for anything other than commuting who would be happy to buy a truck with 20-inch wheels.
I have not yet tried to order the truck with a dealer yet. 2021s are not on the lot yet and we want to look first. Also, we are not in a hurry as we pickup our trailer in May. So, haven’t had the discussion with the dealer yet.That said, both our preferred model (Platinum) and FX4 force the tire size to 20” on the Ford build configurator. We will ask when we place the order.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #57

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
I would be pleased to show you our Escape 19 and the 2006 Ridgeline. The new 2020 Ridgeline is being picked up on October 15 and then going for 3 M Film and Ceramic coating so wouldn't be available for viewing until say the 20th of the month. Give me a call at 403-208-2719.
Thanks, will call you soon.
Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #58

Quote:
I have not yet tried to order the truck with a dealer yet. 2021s are not on the lot yet and we want to look first. Also, we are not in a hurry as we pickup our trailer in May. So, haven’t had the discussion with the dealer yet.That said, both our preferred model (Platinum) and FX4 force the tire size to 20” on the Ford build configurator. We will ask when we place the order.
Attached just FYI, maybe of interest. Note the date on each page, anything always subject to change of course.

IME the 'retail marketing website configurator' may not accurately convey all the details of what's possible, while these 'Dealer Order Guides' sourced from the Blue Oval Forum are quite accurate (at least for the date of the document). YMMV.

With just a quick scan I see where the 20's are part of the Platinum trim level default; I don't see that they're forced with the FX4 package per se; but anyhoo, there it is for your reading enjoyment

Ford's choices relating to 'option bundling' have always presented a few 'gotchyas' it seems to me, but it is what it is!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2021 F-150 Order Guide_r.pdf (861.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #59

Thanks a lot, Centex! I was writing from memory and might have misstated it. I do know that one of the options we are interested in in addition to Platinum was forcing that.

After doing some research on the F150, I am taking a pause for a while as we’d place the order only in Dec/Jan timeframe and only need the truck around April/May 2021.

The main unanswered question regarding F150 is whether PowerBoost, the new hybrid engine choice (also impacting the Power OnBoard option with up-to 7.5 kW built-in generator), will allow 5th wheel hitch attachment. The hybrid components do occupy the underbody area where the underbody bracket of the 5th wheel hitch goes through. So, the somewhat speculative concern isn’t completely without basis.

Hopefully there is no problem but we’d wait for a confirmed answer before placing an order.