I guess I'm spoiled - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I guess I'm spoiled

Although I have been towing for over 30 years, the last ten being the Escape 19, I have never towed with an SUV until today. After installing the Prodigy P3 brake controller in my son's 2021 Ford Explorer, we went for a little test ride. The Explorer did well, and I've got the Prodigy about dialed in. So the big question is do we need sway control on this rig? I didn't really notice any sway...just a little jiggle, and bounce I guess, but I know I'm spoiled. It seems to sit level.

I'm also wondering if I might do better with softer tires. We were running about 46psi on the E19. No, I don't know what my hitch weight is. Propane, and two 6v batteries up front. Waste tanks were empty. Water about 1/2.

Just not sure what to expect.

We just got back from about 3500 miles of towing with the 2023 Ford F150 Powerboost.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Explorer with Escape.jpg  
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
Once you've towed with a Powerboost, everything else is just "almost as good".

When Ford releases an Explorer with the 3.5 twin-turbo + Powerboost option (including the 7.2kW inverter) I might consider trading in my F-150.

*MAYBE*

heck yeah, I'm spoiled ;-}
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
My 19 tows straight and steady behind my Lexus GX470 suv without sway control. Plenty of hitch weight is key, and mine is a tad over 500 lb.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
Measure a bit..........

First off - I would always suggest a WD hitch for "light" TVs with that kind of trailer. Though the short distance from the rear axle to ball helps on SUVs.

What does the Explorer towing section state? Usually will have weight carrying and weight distributing max values for both tongue and trailer. I saw you don't have weights, but knowing those values for the particular model helps.

What does the yellow tire loading sticker on the driver's doorjamb show for allowable payload? Tongue weight uses available payload.

Measure at the top of the 4 wheel wells of the Explorer TV unhitched, and then hitched (or the other way around!) and see what kind of drop/rise you are getting, especially in front.

Your pic looks like it is squatting a bit in the rear, and nose up a bit, but hard to tell..............a "light" TV front end is bad ju-ju, but you know that..............

FYI - I tow an E19 with a "soft sprung" F-150 Raptor SCAB and use a Fastaway E2 WD hitch and added Roadmaster RAS springs
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
My 19 tows straight and steady behind my Lexus GX470 suv without sway control. Plenty of hitch weight is key, and mine is a tad over 500 lb.
WD (weight distributing) and sway control are 2 separate functions, you can have a WD hitch without "sway control", though the ETI supplied Fastaway E2 combines combines both functions. WD is primarily to restore front end TV loading.

"Appropriate" hitch weight (tongue) is key................
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Camera angle can be misleading.
This shot was taken with the camera aimed at the front bumper of the tow vehicle.

Try it again from the left about 20 feet aimed at the hitch and it might tell a different story. It might look less lifted in front.

You'll know you might need weight distributing when you drive at night and all the approaching drivers flash their brights at you.

What does the level show on the side of the trailer? You want either dead level or slightly down in the front, and we can't tell right now.

I towed our 21' for two years and 30,000 miles with a 2003 4Runner, but always had an Andersen hitch, so can't advise much about how it would be without that setup. Safer is always better. How is your rig going to behave when the deer jumps out?
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:59 PM   #7

Should have taken the FujiFilm X-T20 with me.....we could see that level!

Actually I was surprised at how level it looked

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3931.jpg   IMG_3933.jpg  
Old 06-12-2023, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Looks great.

Have fun.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our 19 towed very well behind the 2012 Highlander. My tongue weight was about 360 lbs on that rig if I remember correctly. We had the Escape provided hitch on that trailer (their Equalizer.) I don’t mind towing slightly nose down as long as my front tires aren’t breaking loose on steep loose gravel going uphill. The battery (ies) in the front box, the propane bottles and some forward loading in the trailer are usually enough to have adequate tongue weight. The second half of that is to not overload the rear portion of the cargo area behind the wheels. Heavy single items like a big cooler, canned goods or beer and soda in boxes can easily make a difference too.
You have to experiment a little before you hit the sweet spot some times. Towing “performance” also may change with how much gasoline or diesel you have in the tow vehicle tank and how much liquid you’re hauling in the trailer tanks. There’s some leeway in tire pressures too the make a difference on the sidewall stability in the tires and how much rubber you have on the road. On the Anderson hitch we have now I take special care to have the same amount of tension on each side. I wise man once told me “you can feel a half a thread”. I did not think I was that good but in time found out it was true. Best of luck.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-13-2023, 08:40 AM   #10

Which weight distribution hitch for an Explorer towing an Escape 19?

Thanks, as usual, for all the help. Somethings I know ....some I don't...still learning after all these years!

Glenn
Old 06-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #11

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Our 19 towed very well behind the 2012 Highlander. My tongue weight was about 360 lbs on that rig if I remember correctly. We had the Escape provided hitch on that trailer (their Equalizer.) I don’t mind towing slightly nose down as long as my front tires aren’t breaking loose on steep loose gravel going uphill. The battery (ies) in the front box, the propane bottles and some forward loading in the trailer are usually enough to have adequate tongue weight. The second half of that is to not overload the rear portion of the cargo area behind the wheels. Heavy single items like a big cooler, canned goods or beer and soda in boxes can easily make a difference too.
You have to experiment a little before you hit the sweet spot some times. Towing “performance” also may change with how much gasoline or diesel you have in the tow vehicle tank and how much liquid you’re hauling in the trailer tanks. There’s some leeway in tire pressures too the make a difference on the sidewall stability in the tires and how much rubber you have on the road. On the Anderson hitch we have now I take special care to have the same amount of tension on each side. I wise man once told me “you can feel a half a thread”. I did not think I was that good but in time found out it was true. Best of luck.
Iowa Dave
Dave, do you give a thumbs up to the Anderson hitch? It's a bit expensive but I think it may be worth it. What are your thought?
Attached Thumbnails
E19.jpg  
Old 06-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have towed a 17B and now the 21 with SUV and have been comfortable. The most uncomfortable time was on Hwy 40 heading east into Flagstaff with the 17B. Frost heaves and single axle trailer were not fun. I generally tow at 60 unless the speed limit is lower. I do go faster going down slight hills on straight hwy and slower going up steeper hills. Just trying to improve mpg.

I don't use a WDH but do use extra side mirrors and I do keep track of the tongue weight. I think most people would be more comfortable with a weight distribution hitch to reduce the load on the rear axle or reduce the bounciness on bumpy roads. I think speed and proper tongue weight are key to sway control.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220118_184025458.jpg   PXL_20220119_004340201.jpg   Sunrise.jpg  
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:21 AM   #13

I've towed my E19 over 13,000 miles in the past year with a 2021 Subaru Ascent. No issues whatsoever.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our second Escape we bought used came with the Anderson. The previous owner and I got it set up to tow on my vehicle which was slightly different from the vehicle he had. We settled on 5 threads showing out the back of the adjusting nut. That’s what I’m still running 6 years later. We’ve been happy with the Anderson. You will learn how to most efficiently mount and dismount the hitch and after that it becomes a simple process. I can detail my procedure if you’d like. No magic involved, just logic and some respect for the physics at work.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
We just updated from the Pro-Series 600lb Trunnion to the 2023 Anderson WD hitch and "what a difference" according to my wife. It's quiet, tracks beautifully and is easy to hitch & unhitch. I too am on 5 threads and it is a noticeable upgrade with money well spent I believe.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Which weight distribution hitch for an Explorer towing an Escape 19?
Thanks, as usual, for all the help. Somethings I know ....some I don't...still learning after all these years!
Glenn
Glenn: We used to tow without a WDH. One issue with sway was my fault because I was light on the tongue (thankfully I knew to manually brake the trailer only with brake controller) and then got rocked pretty good by a semi as we descended the Delaware Memorial Bridge with a crosswind. That changed my mind pretty quick to get a more stable setup. There are a lot of choices but we use the Equal-i-zer 6000# model with integrated 4 point sway control. Works perfectly with a 19 and Toyota 4Runner. Should work equally well for you. The ride is much better and the trailer feels more connected. Measure at your wheel wells both hitched and unhitched. You have more squat than you think.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post399274
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37061ET.html

Then once you have a WDH you'll realize that an electric tongue jack is really nice to bring the trailer tongue and tow vehicle up together to get the bars on:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post415983
Old 06-13-2023, 01:42 PM   #17

Thanks to everyone. I'll figure this out. We will keep towing with the Powerboost, but the three people who matter most to me want to use their own car.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF9385.jpg  
Old 06-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 21
Mmmmm I get the next piggy back ride lmao memories being made in that pic
Old 06-13-2023, 08:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
Once you've towed with a Powerboost, everything else is just "almost as good".

heck yeah, I'm spoiled ;-}
What he said...
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Should have taken the FujiFilm X-T20 with me.....we could see that level!

Actually I was surprised at how level it looked

Glenn
We tow our E19 with a 2021 Ford Explorer ST, so just a different model of your sons TV. We find we do not need any sway control but do use a WDH. Our setup does not have the back end of the tow vehicle sitting near as low as what it appears your pictures show. In fact, the drop on the receiver appears to be a couple inches lower than yours. Measurements at all four TV wheels show our TV sits level when hooked up to the trailer with the WDH. We have had to make what I would call Quick avoidance turns a few times at highway speeds and the trailer stays planted behind the TV. I truly believe a WDH is required.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote