Interpreting my F150 build - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #21
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
I just bought this truck from a local used car dealer. It's a 2018 F150 XLT 4WD Supercab. I spent about a month looking for just the right 2017 or 2018 to haul or soon to be 5.0TA and finally found this one. The dealer says he has several Canadian sources and he's had great luck importing them. I got the truck December 31st (as a way of saying good riddance to 2020 I suppose). No issues, the truck is great shape.

My question relates to the build. I've attached the a copy of the window sticker. I think I've managed to interpret, with help from Google, all of the options. What I'm puzzled by is the lack of any mention of tow packages. I've got the trailer hitch, trailer back up assist and 36 gallon gas tank, along with a tonneau cover that looks like a Ford installed option but I don't see any of these on the window sticker. Are Canadian options packages different or did I just misinterpret something?
Here is a link from Ford that lists the towing capacities of 2018 Ford F150s.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content..._F150_Oct9.pdf

According to your window sticker, I google translated 'pont ar blocage electro 3,55' to 'rear bridge electro lock 3.55' which I believe is the axle ratio rating. Thus, according to this chart, for a 2.7L and a 3.55 axle rating, this chart indicates your max towing capacity for a 5th wheel is 7,400 lbs. However, the picture of your car door sticker shows your F150 max payload at 1175 lbs. If the pin weight of a 5.0 is between 650 - 750 lbs then that leaves you with only 425-525 lbs of payload left in your truck which includes passengers and cargo - something to keep a close eye on. Congrats on your new truck...and 5.0! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks everyone. This is what I know from my window sticker and my door stickers plus Ford's on line information:

From Ford - GVWR for a 2.7L 4X4 Supercab with a 145" wheel base is 6500#
My max load capacity (payload) based on the door sticker is 1176#
That would seem to indicate my truck weighs 6500-1176=5324# with all fluids.

Here's my build:
XLT Supercab 4WD
2.7 Ecoboost
301A equipment group
Box link cleats
LT275/65R18 all terrain tires
3.55 e-locking rear
Shields? (still trying to decipher this option)
Floor mats
Sync 3
Tow package
Tow mirrors
Remote starter
LED box lighting
Sync connect
Tailgate step
36 gallon gas tank
Trailer brake controller
XLT Sport package
120V converter
Wheel well liners
Spray in bed liner
Tonneau cover
Engine block heater
Hood deflector
Window deflectors

I'm curious if anyone else here comes close to these numbers with their own trucks. Do my options really weigh that much? I like the truck and plan to keep it. There will only be two of us when camping and we don't haul a generator or other heavy gear. Just luggage, some groceries and a small tool box.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Thanks everyone. This is what I know from my window sticker and my door stickers plus Ford's on line information:

Here's my build:
XLT Supercab 4WD
2.7 Ecoboost
301A equipment group
Box link cleats
LT275/65R18 all terrain tires
3.55 e-locking rear
Floor mats
Sync 3
Tow package
Tow mirrors
Remote starter
LED box lighting
Sync connect
Tailgate step
36 gallon gas tank
Trailer brake controller
XLT Sport package
120V converter
Wheel well liners
Spray in bed liner
Tonneau cover
Engine block heater
Hood deflector
Window deflectors

I'm curious if anyone else here comes close to these numbers with their own trucks. Do my options really weigh that much? I like the truck and plan to keep it. There will only be two of us when camping and we don't haul a generator or other heavy gear. Just luggage, some groceries and a small tool box.
I misread a previous post and thought you had a 3.5 L, not a 2.7L. My mistake. You can certainly tow a 5.0TA even with the low payload. You just need to be careful how much weight you put in the back seat and in the truck bed around the hitch when you are towing.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #24

My plan is to fill the tank and take the truck too a local scale once all the snow and crud has melted off. That should give me my real curb weight which should then allow me to confirm my max load capacity.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, low payload is something a lot of us need to pay attention to. I also can tow 11,000 lbs. it's why I'm trying to shoe horn everything I can inside the trailer. Gotta keep an eye on the pin weight though.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up No worries, IMO ....

Rich, forum member Jon Vermilye has maintained a spreadsheet of 'real world trailer weights' which might be of interest to you

http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx

When I sort/filter that spreadsheet to only Escape 5.0 entries I find 12 data points with 'real world' tongue weights (aka 'pin weight' in the case of the 5.0) ranging from 520# to 1036# (average 722#). That same group has total weights ranging from 3340# to 4981# (average 4260#).

You'll note that the trailer with the highest tongue (pin) weight is not the trailer with the highest total weight, nor do the lightest values correspond to one trailer. This just illustrates that when it comes to the tongue weight which counts against your payload, not only is how much you put in your trailer important, but how it is distributed in the trailer.

A trip to the CAT scales with your trailer (or maybe several trips with different loads in the truck and trailer) will be invaluable to gain 'real world' insights into managing weight and weight distribution for your specific rig.

IMO as others have already mentioned, your truck won't have any problem towing your 5.0, you'll just need to be a bit more attentive to the payload/tongue weight factors than those folks with more generous payload ratings.

I've little doubt that you'll be able to work it out and enjoy lots of happy miles with both your Canadian F-150 and your new 5.0
Old 01-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
My plan is to fill the tank and take the truck too a local scale once all the snow and crud has melted off. That should give me my real curb weight which should then allow me to confirm my max load capacity.
Rich, I have used the CAT scale at the Kwik Trip in South St Paul

455 Concord St S, South St Paul, MN 55075

I've found it not too busy and helpful people in the store. It's a pay scale, I am not aware of somewhere that might be cheaper/free, but I haven't looked too hard for one either.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Just keep in mind that whatever you eventually add to the truck in the way of hitch provisions for your 5.0 will reduce the available payload capacity available for pin weight.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just keep in mind that whatever you eventually add to the truck in the way of hitch provisions for your 5.0 will reduce the available payload capacity available for pin weight.
Yeah, that’s why we’re going with the rail mount Andersen Ultimate.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
New question has popped up. The window sticker (and the white door sticker) says I'm good for 6500# towing, which makes sense when I look at the options.
Actually both say 6,500 pounds GVWR, which you later realized. I don't see a towing rating on either sticker (and would not expect one on the door placard), but as already mentioned it will be much more than 6,500 pounds and much more than needed for any Escape.

Quote:
But I'm confused by the payload. According to the Ford chart for 2018 trucks, I should be good for 1800#. But the yellow/red sticker on my door says 1176#. Am I reading this wrong? Or does Canada calculate this differently?
No, you're reading the base payload from a chart, the actual payload for your truck from the sticker, and it's the same in Canada and the U.S. (although values in Canada should be provided in kilograms).

The truck has the 6,500 pound payload package, which is not high for a recent F-150. It doesn't have the maximum payload package for its wheelbase and engine, which would be more useful for towing a 5.0 than a towing package, since the loaded trailer is more of a hitch weight concern than an overall weight concern. In the 2021 model year, for a given wheelbase and engine combination there are generally two GVWR (and corresponding payloads) available, with the higher one from 400 to 800 pounds higher; 2018 would have been similar.

The F-150 payload king is a long wheelbase 4X2 with either 5.0 V8 or 3.5 EcoBoost... and the maximum payload package. People generally buy F-150s in 4X4, often with other engines, without the payload package for a cushier ride, and loaded with payload-sapping options.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #31

Quote:
I'm relatively sure that's the gravel guards; they're likely on the transfer case, fuel tank, and front axle diff housing.

Quote:

Here's my build:

I'm curious if anyone else here comes close to these numbers with their own trucks. Do my options really weigh that much?
Just looking at that curb weight for a well-equipped 4X4 full-sized pickup, I would be surprised if it were any lower. Whether you can account for every pound among the options, the overall result seems reasonable to me.

The payload on that placard may also allow for a standard driver weight, in addition to the truck's curb weight.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Rich, forum member Jon Vermilye has maintained a spreadsheet of 'real world trailer weights' which might be of interest to you

http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx

When I sort/filter that spreadsheet to only Escape 5.0 entries I find 12 data points with 'real world' tongue weights (aka 'pin weight' in the case of the 5.0) ranging from 520# to 1036# (average 722#).
The 1036 pound pin weight was reported by sleepy in an abnormal loading condition, and the extreme low values are unrealistic scenarios as well. The average values of pin and overall weight are reasonable, and the resulting pin weight fraction (about 16%) is reasonable for the 5.0TA, too.

There was a thread with a more extensive examination of those values, and to avoid rehashing it here, if I find it I'll post a link to it.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Thanks for all the help deciphering my 2018 US built/Canadian stickered F150. New question has popped up. The window sticker (and the white door sticker) says I'm good for 6500# towing, which makes sense when I look at the options. But I'm confused by the payload. According to the Ford chart for 2018 trucks, I should be good for 1800#. But the yellow/red sticker on my door says 1176#. Am I reading this wrong? Or does Canada calculate this differently?
I have a 2018 Lariat with the 5.0 L engine and the front GAWR is the same as yours but the rear GAWR is 3800 lb which is 450 lbs more, maybe different leaf springs?
My payload on the door sticker is 1712 lbs. I have the 3.73 rear axle ratio which seems to allow higher towing limits.
Payload seems to vary a lot for trucks, I am not sure why that is.
My GVWR is 7000 lbs so minus the 1712 =my truck weighs 5288 lbs. I added my tonneau cover and running boards after I bought the truck so those would come off the payload, maybe 100 lbs I am guessing? ( I should find that out )
I think your tow rating should be fine with the 5.0, just have to keep an eye on the pin weight.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Your estimated curb weight is about right. A 6500 lb GVWR is also typical for non PP 2.7 trucks, especially with the 3.55 axle.
You likely have the Super 8.8 rear axle as opposed to the 9.75 Stirling axle, and you will typically see sub 6900 GVWR on those trucks
For that model year 120$ sounds like the ford skid plates, which I'm not 100% certain if they are all steel. There were some rigid fabric sort of panels on EB trucks for NVH reduction and to keep stuff out of engine bays. I'm not as up to speed on 13th Gen truck permutations.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
While shopping for a 2017 F150 to tow our 5.0TA I learned that the 2.7 models were limited in gvwr by their electronic parking brake that had its own gvwr of 6500 lbs. Ford at that time offered a 2.7 payload package which among other things upgraded the parking brake. I needed more payload so purchased a 3.5 model as it had the 10 spd (new that year) as well as well as higher gvwr.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Shearwater,
My truck is a 2019 F150 XLT with pretty well the identical specs as yours. It's odd mine has a payload of 1420lbs which is 244lbs. more than yours. Reducing my payload I have mounted a raised canopy (approx. 220lbs) and a custom bed slide (approx. 125lbs) I tow a 2017 E19 and rate the tongue weight at 450 lbs. This gives me only about 335 after subtracting occupants weight. I pack light and distribute weight truck and trailer.
That said, I love the truck. It tows well and I'm happy with the choice.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #37

I found this document over on one of the F150 forums. It gives what appears to be ALL the specs on the 2018 F150s including weight of options. This appears to be the holy grail. It's going to take me some time to decipher but at first glance, it makes for some interesting reading.

Oops, the files too big to attach. Here's the link to the other forum, scroll down to post #11. I have just the file itself if the link goes dead. PM me and I will forward it to you.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/why-do...-price-492967/