Low mileage from Toyota Tacoma - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #81

Trailer: 2012 E19
I honestly have been unable to quantify a mpg increase from the times I used higher octane gas while towing, for what that's worth. If I'm getting a favorable bump, it's too small for me to be sure it's there.

It does concern me a bit to hear of someone keeping their gas pedal floored to climb long grades, though. I've never had to do that (other than the time I towed a UHaul CT13 with a 2.2L Dodge Omni, but that's a tale all its own). Even with my 2008 3.5L Highlander I never floored it during my trips through the Rockies. I simply shifted down and slowed to around 40 mph (35-45 depending), running at about 4000 rpm; I never desired to push it harder, for tranny's sake. No discernible pinging.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

It does concern me a bit to hear of someone keeping their gas pedal floored to climb long grades, though. I've never had to do that (other than the time I towed a UHaul CT13 with a 2.2L Dodge Omni, but that's a tale all its own). Even with my 2008 3.5L Highlander I never floored it during my trips through the Rockies. I simply shifted down and slowed to around 40 mph (35-45 depending), running at about 4000 rpm; I never desired to push it harder, for tranny's sake. No discernible pinging.

The unfortunate reality is that the westbound climb out of Denver requires gaining 6000 vertical feet. And since it is interstate, driving at 40 mph would put me in the obstruction category. So, yes, pedal to the metal and rpm 4500. Keeps me around 50-60 mph and I always thank the engine when we reach the tunnel.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:12 AM   #83

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
The unfortunate reality is that the westbound climb out of Denver requires gaining 6000 vertical feet. And since it is interstate, driving at 40 mph would put me in the obstruction category. So, yes, pedal to the metal and rpm 4500. Keeps me around 50-60 mph and I always thank the engine when we reach the tunnel.
Does this mean you're passing the 18-wheelers? Or are they also managing to go that fast? If the big rigs were going 40 mph, I'd just tuck in behind one and not worry about what other people think.

I'll admit, near as I can recall I've only traversed that stretch one time... eastbound! Felt a bit wild, going downhill that one.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Does this mean you're passing the 18-wheelers? Or are they also managing to go that fast? If the big rigs were going 40 mph, I'd just tuck in behind one and not worry about what other people think.
This is a legit tactic we used frequently when towing with our Frontier on Interstates and it seemed to work out well. Usually, we tried to avoid Interstate travel as much as possible with the small truck.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:58 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
This is a legit tactic we used frequently when towing with our Frontier on Interstates and it seemed to work out well. Usually, we tried to avoid Interstate travel as much as possible with the small truck.
To avoid I-70 and the Tunnels one would have the option of going over Loveland Pass on US-6 - at 12,000'. That might be a first for an Escape trailer. If I do I will post a picture.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:04 PM   #86

Quote:

I'll admit, near as I can recall I've only traversed that stretch one time... eastbound! Felt a bit wild, going downhill that one.
I-70 westbound from Denver will have a mix of 18-wheelers going the speed limit+ and some barely managing 30 mph. It's wild and crazy.

Eastbound? Make sure your low gears are working properly.

And at all costs, avoid westbound Friday & Saturday, and eastbound on Sunday.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:06 PM   #87

Quote:
I honestly have been unable to quantify a mpg increase from the times I used higher octane gas while towing, for what that's worth. If I'm getting a favorable bump, it's too small for me to be sure it's there.
I think we have a consensus on the premium gas question.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:30 PM   #88
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Hmmm… or you can just get a F150 with an EB engine and be done with it
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #89

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
I have noticed that when I have my two kayaks loaded the truck it seems to get better mileage and handle better, especailly at faster highway speeds. The kayaks go from over the rear of the cab and extend about 30" past the back of the truck. I believe the kayaks help the air transition up over the trailer rather than passing over the cab down to the tonneau bed cover and then hitting the front of the Escape. I can definately tell a difference in the trailer bug splatter with the kayaks on board. Bugs mostly just on the side edges rather than all across the front.
I can't speak to the handling (it is always fine for me), but I definitely had an improvement in mpg with dual kayaks. It made me also try wrapping the kayaks in a tarp (like a semi truck load tarp) and also adding a little wind deflector in the back. It definitely makes a difference at highway speeds. I am experimenting with just a wind deflector/no kayaks after having to stop multiple times at the watercraft inspection spots in certain states out west.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #90

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post

but I definitely had an improvement in mpg with dual kayaks.

and also adding a little wind deflector in the back.

I am experimenting with just a wind deflector/no kayaks after having to stop multiple times at the watercraft inspection spots in certain states out west.
I carry two longer kayaks and while I can't say that I get better mileage they certainly don't seem to hurt my mpg either.

Wind deflectors can be tricky. Get it wrong and aside from your propane tank levitating due to the creation of a low pressure area the extra drag doesn't help mpg either.

Yah, those water craft inspections can be a nuisance, especially if you get two in one day. They also seem to take longer than you'd think is necessary. How long does it take to look at a clean kayak and determine that it's fine. I've had some that dawdled their way around as if there was some hidden areas that might be covered with something.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #91

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wind deflectors can be tricky. Get it wrong and aside from your propane tank levitating due to the creation of a low pressure area the extra drag doesn't help mpg either.

Yah, those water craft inspections can be a nuisance, especially if you get two in one day. They also seem to take longer than you'd think is necessary.
I agree the inspections take longer than necessary especially if there is a line but the people staffing them have been pleasant for the most part.

I wish there was a simple formula for how to do the wind deflectors. I've done some modelling that has given more hints than answers to what is going on. I use the "coast down test" for drag, and then test again on real world gas usage and they correlate. The deflector makes a real difference in my setup. However, I think it has become more of a minor obsession than about saving money at this point. I usually try something most winters and test it in the spring and summer.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:17 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I agree the inspections take longer than necessary especially if there is a line but the people staffing them have been pleasant for the most part.
I am a certified volunteer boat inspector for the State of Colorado. We pride ourselves on being pleasant and efficient. I can recommend that you always keep the receipt from your most recent inspection to present at the next one. That helps speed up the process considerably, and usually results in a quick eyeball of the boat(s). If your boat is Clean, Drained and Dry, you are on your way in minutes.
Thanks for the "pleasant" comment!!
Old 10-04-2023, 06:04 PM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I am a certified volunteer boat inspector for the State of Colorado. We pride ourselves on being pleasant and efficient. I can recommend that you always keep the receipt from your most recent inspection to present at the next one. That helps speed up the process considerably, and usually results in a quick eyeball of the boat(s). If your boat is Clean, Drained and Dry, you are on your way in minutes.
Thanks for the "pleasant" comment!!
Boat inspections? We've never encountered one here in the Northeast, or as far south as Virginia. We often carry a canoe on our Expedition. What's to inspect? It don't leak!

Guess I should check and see if carrying the canoe helps with mileage. . .
Old 10-04-2023, 06:55 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Boat inspections? We've never encountered one here in the Northeast, or as far south as Virginia. We often carry a canoe on our Expedition. What's to inspect? It don't leak!
Aquatic Nuisance Species is the subject of inspections.
For a quick summary and to understand the scope of the problem:
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/invasiv...ve-species.htm
Old 10-05-2023, 01:32 AM   #95

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Hmmm… or you can just get a F150 with an EB engine and be done with it
It took me 7 months to arrive at that conclusion, but my F150 w/ EB has been fantastic!
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:33 AM   #96
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Or my new choice, I decided I wanted an SUV rather than a truck, so I got that same EB drive train in a 2019 Expedition.... Fabulous ride, and can tow 9300 lbs. 8 passengers or a 7 ft cargo bay.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #97

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Or my new choice, I decided I wanted an SUV rather than a truck, so I got that same EB drive train in a 2019 Expedition.... Fabulous ride, and can tow 9300 lbs. 8 passengers or a 7 ft cargo bay.
At the rally last weekend it appeared that you had changed the rims and tires on your new tow vehicle. I was curious how you made that happen, as wheels and tires are expensive, and you had a nice set of wheels on it.

Also, how’s the ride difference with the higher profile tires?
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:06 PM   #98
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
At the rally last weekend it appeared that you had changed the rims and tires on your new tow vehicle. I was curious how you made that happen, as wheels and tires are expensive, and you had a nice set of wheels on it.

Also, how’s the ride difference with the higher profile tires?
I got a set of 'takeoffs' which came from a 2022-2023 F150 with an appearance package, exact same dimensions, tire size, and offset, so they were a direct mount. they were off a brand new truck with less than 10 miles, and have some inexpensive all terrain OEM tires which I'll wear out and replace with BF Goodrich KO2's... I should be able to sell the 22" wheels and recoup most of the cost of the 18s.

ride was a definite improvement on rough/cracked roads, although I was rather surprised how well the Expedition dampened the 22's, ours has the 'CCD' electronic controlled shocks that greatly tame the big beast on rough roads.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #99

Trailer: 2023 E19
The EcoBoost F150/Expedition appears to be a popular Tow Vehicle choice amongst forum members.

For those how have purchased an F150 recently, did you give any consideration to the 3rd generation (2022+) Tundra? Why or why not?

Based on my experience with the reliability of my current Tacoma, I would be leaning towards the Tundra....if I eventually end up making the jump to a full-size truck.

Admittedly, I have heard of a few teething issues with the turbo V6 on very early-build trucks. However, these problems now seem to be resolved. The fact that the Tundra shares a common platform/powertrain with the global flagship J300 series Landcruiser suggests to me that there should be no long-term concerns with reliability.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:56 PM   #100
Site Team

visit a ford dealer, and sit in a late model Expedition Limited, now get in that Tundra and compare the seats, controls, interior fittings. The seats in my Expy remind me of those in my wife's late model Mercedes E series wagon, supremely comfortable on long trips, controls with great ergonomics. Toyota feels cheap and plasticky by comparison.