Our new custom ordered tow vehicle, and a question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2022, 09:55 PM   #1

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Our new custom ordered tow vehicle, and a question

Thought I’d show off our new tow vehicle, ordered in preparation for our 5.0 on order….which we won’t be getting for another 18 months!

Anyway I did a lot of research and ended up custom ordering this F150. They weren’t getting any cheaper, and the dealer offered me an insane trade in value,

So ordered back at the end of Feb, and took delivery at the end of June. Think I was pretty lucky with timescales, not many folks are getting their custom orders that quick.

Anyway I specced out this F150 to maximise towing and payload capacity, with lots of bells and whistles for safety and comfort.

Spec is 2022 F150 2.7L Ecoboost, SuperCab XLT, 6,5ft bed. Ordered with the 2.7l payload package, tow mirrors, 302a luxury package, 360 Backup cameras, the Ford Co-Pilot assist2 which is Adaptive cruise control, lane centering, collision radar/etc. 36 gallon Fuel tank.

This 2.7 in the SuperCab config with the 2.7 Payload package is rated to tow 10,100lbs, and a max payload of 2100. With my options our payload is 1889lbs. Which should be plenty.

This truck will literally drive itself with adaptive cruise control + lane centering. Quite spooky to watch it in action. And the 360 cameras will certainly help me with my crappy reversing.

So my question is do I need to do anything with the height of the bed rails? The stock height is 55 inches by my measurement. Our 5.0 will be lifted. I notice the 5.0 spec states max bed height of 58” if you have it lifted. Is there a min bed rail height?
Attached Thumbnails
1368FC68-5F46-4FC6-8E58-B026EF5D6C7B.jpg   52C15C60-155B-43AF-9179-71C4C64113A0.jpg   1D619655-9D90-4D62-80B7-FAEFD4226EED.jpg   759B1C46-3483-4FF6-AEF5-E702456D61BB.jpg  
BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
You’ll be fine with 55” bed rail height with either a standard 5.0 or the lifted 5.0

Our bed rails are 54” and we have plenty of clearance with a standard height 5.0

Edit: nice truck!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Congrats on a beautiful truck, IMO a nice special order spec, you'll do great and love towing your 5.0!
Old 07-14-2022, 02:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Wow, that's a quick delivery

My friend orderd his F150 Feb 2021 and just got it June 2022. The dealer offered him many options during the wait, but like you he had a very specific package in mind. He kept his trade value, 2021 price and got good incentives.

You'll enjoy the trailer!!!!!
Old 07-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, 2.7 ecoboost SuperCab, my dream tow vehicle.

Way more bells and whistles than mine but I consider it the best tow vehicle that I've ever had.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Yeah, the custom ordering at Ford is a bit of a crapshoot from what I can see. I was expecting a 6-9 month wait. If you checkout the F150 14th gen forums some folks have been waiting over a year.

I was happy to wait, wanting that exact spec.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #7

Thumbs up yep, worth the wait on both counts (truck and trailer)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
Yeah, the custom ordering at Ford is a bit of a crapshoot from what I can see. I was expecting a 6-9 month wait. If you checkout the F150 14th gen forums some folks have been waiting over a year.

I was happy to wait, wanting that exact spec.
Same here. I was happy to have 'only' a 5-1/2 month wait for my F150 ordered late December 2021 and delivered in early June.

As you doubtless know another aspect of the 'crapshoot' is Ford unilaterally removing some options on orders due to commodity availability issues. Yeah, folks subject to that can cancel their order but there's no satisfaction in that of course.

It seems you, like I, were lucky in that regard and received your truck exactly as originally specified so congratulations on that front, too!

Enjoy that F150 while waiting for your 5.0, I'm confident that sooner than later you'll have a complete rig that you will really enjoy!
Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 None
Nice Truck!! What rear end did you decide on? Would you like to share the out the door price?
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Nice Truck!! What rear end did you decide on? Would you like to share the out the door price?
It's a 3:73 locked diff rear end. You don't get any choice if you order the 2.7 Payload package.

My out the door price was MSRP sticker price minus $500 plus their rip off doc fee. So in my case just under CAD $62K before tax. There were 2 price increases while I was waiting, so if I ordered it now it would be $5000 more. The dealer however did offer me what I paid for my trade 2 years ago (and 70,000km!). Used car prices are nuts.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 None
Quote:
It's a 3:73 locked diff rear end. You don't get any choice if you order the 2.7 Payload package.

My out the door price was MSRP sticker price minus $500 plus their rip off doc fee. So in my case just under CAD $62K before tax. There were 2 price increases while I was waiting, so if I ordered it now it would be $5000 more. The dealer however did offer me what I paid for my trade 2 years ago (and 70,000km!). Used car prices are nuts.
Thanks, for the price information. Not many people are willing to share it. Sounds like you got a great deal on the used vehicle!! :-) It looks like you are going to have some glorious days camping ahead of you.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Nice truck . I see you still have the push button second glove box. They have been removed in the States . they said they can no longer get them. I like them I just have a shelf. I had one ordered But I ended buying off the lot. it appears my dealer never cancelled my order. I got a email from for saying sorry nothing happened with your order,But we contact you every 45 days with update. Congrats on the new tow rig
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
.... I see you still have the push button second glove box. They have been removed in the States . they said they can no longer get them. I like them I just have a shelf....
Congrats to you, too, on your new F150! I suppose that having a truck without that upper glovebox door is better than having no truck at all, but that's still a bummer.

Perhaps not a big deal in your case but in some cases the features that are omitted, while not presenting any safety or mechanically functional compromise, are really significant compromises in terms of buyer expectations relative to what they were told their trucks would have when they placed an order. At least you knew what you were getting since you bought off the lot and could see your truck.

The 'de-contenting' of some 2022 F150's in response to commodity issues has really gone too far, IMO, but I don't have any idea what the solution might be.

Ford is scheduled to open the 2023 F150 order banks this coming Monday July 18; It'll be interesting to see the extent to which those are 'de-contented' up-front in advertising and order-guide specs. I hope Ford presents realistic information, perhaps designating currently unavailable items as "for late(r) availability", so folks might have a more realistic idea of what Ford can actually commit to delivering when they place an order.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The 'de-contenting' of some 2022 F150's in response to commodity issues has really gone too far, IMO, but I don't have any idea what the solution might be.
This is industry-wide though. Just saw an article about many automakers having to do the same type de-contenting - including Audi and BMW. As we all know too well, unfortunately, this also crosses other types of manufacturing. Our Escape was delivered with “alternative contenting” due to supply shortages. I don’t have a solution either. Looks like nobody does these days.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wait for it.
BMW is charging $23 a month subscription for heated seats in UK and some other countries.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
This is industry-wide though. Just saw an article about many automakers having to do the same type de-contenting - including Audi and BMW. As we all know too well, unfortunately, this also crosses other types of manufacturing. Our Escape was delivered with “alternative contenting” due to supply shortages. I don’t have a solution either. Looks like nobody does these days.
Yep, that's understood, it's not just Ford by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
BMW is charging $23 a month subscription for heated seats in UK and some other countries.
Not only BMW and not only heated seats but a variety of features which are built into the vehicles ('at no extra charge' as BMW has advertised ) but require a subscription fee to activate.

Aside from the 'money grab' aspect I find this particularly ironic given that in order to control activation by subscription they must also add telematics systems in the vehicle for that, and that's one of the types of systems that some manufacturers are having trouble delivering due to commodity ('chips') supply constraints.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Thought I’d show off our new tow vehicle, ordered in preparation for our 5.0 on order….which we won’t be getting for another 18 months!

Anyway I did a lot of research and ended up custom ordering this F150. They weren’t getting any cheaper, and the dealer offered me an insane trade in value,
I did a similar thing. Knew I was going to buy a fiberglass trailer & purchased our Tahoe about 8 months prior to finding the trailer. Customized the Tahoe for dog training trips.

This freed me to select the trailer which best met my needs.

Drive your new truck in the best of health!
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Same here. I was happy to have 'only' a 5-1/2 month wait for my F150 ordered late December 2021 and delivered in early June.

As you doubtless know another aspect of the 'crapshoot' is Ford unilaterally removing some options on orders due to commodity availability issues. Yeah, folks subject to that can cancel their order but there's no satisfaction in that of course.

It seems you, like I, were lucky in that regard and received your truck exactly as originally specified so congratulations on that front, too!

Enjoy that F150 while waiting for your 5.0, I'm confident that sooner than later you'll have a complete rig that you will really enjoy!
Would you mind sharing again where you ordered your truck? I remember it was somewhere in Oklahoma. We are getting ready to order a new F-150 and I remember that you got a pretty good deal from them.

Also the link to your thread about your truck purchase would be much appreciated.

And also just a general thanks for all the verry useful information you provide for us all here.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Would you mind sharing again where you ordered your truck? .... the link to your thread about your truck purchase would be much appreciated...
No worries, I'm so happy about my experience I'm glad to refer folks to:

Granger Ford (Granger, Iowa, a suburb of Des Moines)
Chip Giles ( chipg@grangermotors.com )
Granger's 2022 F150 vender thread on an F150 Forum

Please note that the order bank for 2022 F150's is closed, the 2023 F150 order bank is scheduled to open July 18 with actual build of 2023's beginning in late fall of this year. It may take a while for Ford's retail website to populate with 2023 info (e.g. build-and-price data) if last year is any indication. However, the Dealer Order Guide with trims and options info should be posted very soon, here among other F150 forums. The frequently and timely-updated Dealer Order Guide is actually a more definitive and detailed source of info about the vehicle equipment than the retail website, though it does not contain pricing data.

In this dynamic and ever-changing environment I've no idea if Ford will continue their historic Price Protection Policy, nor do I know if Granger will offer the same specific 'deal terms' on 2023's, but I'm confident that Granger's underlying square-shooting and customer-friendly practices will continue, methinks that's a part of that dealership's basic ethos.

My USA purchase story is documented in the towing with f150 eco boost thread, starting here with scattered follow-up posts
Old 07-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Thanks again, this is really helpful as this exactly the truck we want. Like you and BritCanuck we want the super cab and 6.5' bed. We like the idea of the roomier full crew cab but want to keep the wheel base and overall length down for better maneuverability and also so we can park it in the garage.

We are also going with the Lariat and 3.5 ecoboost. We would be interested in the hybrid and onboard 7K power but I believe it is still only available with the crew cab. Also I expect the two options would add around $10,000 to the price and reduce your cargo capacity pretty significantly.

We were trying to make the 2022 Tundra work for us as we have driven Toyotas for a long time, but by the time we got at least most of the things we wanted it ended up with only twelve hundred some pound of cargo capacity.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Thanks again, this is really helpful as this exactly the truck we want. ....
I wish you happy shopping and the best of luck.

FWIW when I picked-up my truck Chip at Granger told me later orders of 'my' truck suffered Ford-forced-unilateral-deletion of the 360-degree cam package, some features in the Connected Navigation package, and the tan bucket seats, all due to commodity availability issues. The luck of timing .... I sincerely hope you can get what you want in a 2023 model-year truck.