Pro-trailer backup assist - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2023, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Pro-trailer backup assist

My current TV, 2011 F150 has passed 200000km so I've been looking around for a replacement. Ford trucks now include a pro-trailer backup assist function. Has anyone got this or similar on their TV, and if so, is it useful?
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
You are probably gonna get a range of responses on this one. Here is my take.

Learning to back up a trailer stays with you forever as long as you do it from time to time.

Relying on an assist to do it guarantees that if the assist isn’t there or is on the fritz, you are gonna wish that you had taken the time to learn and master the practice.

My last two two vehicles had trailer back up features. Other than trying each out once, I never used them again in the wild.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I rate Ford pro-trailer backup assist 'meh' (YMMV)

My 2022 F150 has it as part of its towing package, useless for my 5.0 of course (it is not compatible with 5th-wheel / gooseneck trailers on the F150), but I set it up and played with it on my 16' (~20ft OAL) flatbed tandem axle utility trailer. This is the system that uses a 'target sticker' on the trailer tongue, not a wired module on the trailer.

I found it a bit inaccurate insofar as the trailer tracking the projected lines when backing, even after multiple 'calibration runs' per the instructions. That inaccuracy is just enough to make it frustrating if not useless, IMO / IME.

I have been towing / backing trailers for many years. Personally I find backing using the 'traditional / un-assisted' method easier, quicker, and more assured to get the trailer exactly where I want it. I no longer use the pro-trailer assist at all. YMMV.

I do find the F150's various rear / overall cam views helpful at times when backing but those are not related to the pro-trailer backup assist system. That's the optional 360-degree camera package which I highly recommend as useful not only for backing a trailer but for typical parking-lot maneuvering. That I appreciate and use daily.

Just FYI, two other current model F150 towing features I love:
  • The 'trailer lights check routine' which can be invoked from the FordPass smartphone app when standing behind / walking around the trailer. It cycles all of the lights on a repeating sequence, great for solo travelers to confirm operation of all trailer lights.
  • The Ford proprietary 12-pin connector on the bumper below the normal RV 7-pin connector. This accepts the wired Ford Accessory trailer TPMS and/or cam kit which displays trailer tire pressure data / temperature / configurable low-pressure alarms on your normal digital instrument cluster display. And if you opt for the trailer cam kit that image is displayed on the center-dash screen. I love both of those without having any aftermarket displays to mess with in the cab.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I would have given it a pass as far as having it goes but my wife was happy to get it.

I've towed multiple types of trailers since I was a teenager and haven't used it but my wife tried it. She doesn't have much experience backing a trailer up, almost zero. Seems like I hog the wheel.

There was a row of cars parked at the curb with enough space for the truck and trailer. She stopped, backed into the space in one try and ended up parallel to the curb. Boosted her confidence level, knowing that if she has to, or allowed to by the wheel hog, that she can do it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
My 2022 F150 has it as part of its towing package, useless for my 5.0 of course (it is not compatible with 5th-wheel / gooseneck trailers on the F150), but I set it up and played with it on my 16' (~20ft OAL) flatbed tandem axle utility trailer. This is the system that uses a 'target sticker' on the trailer tongue, not a wired module on the trailer.

I found it a bit inaccurate insofar as the trailer tracking the projected lines when backing, even after multiple 'calibration runs' per the instructions. That inaccuracy is just enough to make it frustrating if not useless, IMO / IME.

I have been towing / backing trailers for many years. Personally I find backing using the 'traditional / un-assisted' method easier, quicker, and more assured to get the trailer exactly where I want it. I no longer use the pro-trailer assist at all. YMMV.

I do find the F150's various rear / overall cam views helpful at times when backing but those are not related to the pro-trailer backup assist system. That's the optional 360-degree camera package which I highly recommend as useful not only for backing a trailer but for typical parking-lot maneuvering. That I appreciate and use daily.

• The 'trailer lights check routine' which can be invoked from the FordPass smartphone app when standing behind / walking around the trailer. It cycles all of the lights on a repeating sequence, great for solo travelers to confirm operation of all trailer lights.
  • The Ford proprietary 12-pin connector on the bumper below the normal RV 7-pin connector. This accepts the wired Ford Accessory trailer TPMS and/or cam kit which displays trailer tire pressure data / temperature / configurable low-pressure alarms on your normal digital instrument cluster display. And if you opt for the trailer cam kit that image is displayed on the center-dash screen. I love both of those without having any aftermarket displays to mess with in the cab.
Those other features sound very useful. I have the Furrion backup camera, but the screen somehow disappeared, not sure if it got stolen, or I hid it away so well to prevent it getting stolen that I can't now find it. What is the process for hooking up the Ford camera? Can you use the Furrion wiring?
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
.... What is the process for hooking up the Ford camera? Can you use the Furrion wiring?
If I'm not mistaken the Furion system is so-called 'wireless', the only wires being those that provide 12 volt power to the cam (the image is broadcast from the cam to the screen via RF signal)?

If that's the case, those wires have no role in the Ford system - you'll need to use the Ford harness included with the kit which provides both power and TPMS data / video signal wires connecting to the truck via the mentioned proprietary 12-pin bumper connector. It is completely independent of the trailer's 12 volt power system.

The Ford Accessory kit providing integrated display of trailer TPMS and / or Trailer cam consists of:
  • A harness that runs from the tongue of the trailer (with the plug to mate with the 12-pin connector on the truck) to the back of the trailer where the cam is mounted; there's a 'branch' in that harness for the trailer-mounted TPMS module. This harness powers everything from the connector on the truck and also provides the hard-wired path for the various TPMS (data) and cam (video) signals to the truck's systems for display.
  • The cam for mounting on the trailer
  • The TPMS receiver module for mounting near the trailer axles
  • Four valve stems with inside-the-tire TPMS sensors (like the OE TPMS sensors in the truck wheels, but using a different radio frequency)
AFAIK you can buy the kit with either cam or TPMS or both. Most Ford dealers will not install this on a trailer, you can DIY it or hire someone to install it. I DIY installed mine through the inside of the trailer cabinets to avoid any wires on the outside of the shell; my TPMS receiver module is on the floor inside a lower cabinet over the axles and works great there; I drilled one small hole through the shell inside the rear overhead cabinet, immediately adjacent to the cam mounted above the rear window for its small cable to pass through (sealed around the cable with Proflex).
Old 01-01-2024, 06:56 AM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have this on my 2016 F150.

I use it every time I back up my little single axle utility trailer. It's narrow and short enough that when backing up straight you cannot see it in the mirrors. But when using the system I can easily navigate figure 8's with no problem. Note! Bright sun reflection will make seeing very tough.

Our 21C has tandem axles and is a dream to back up so I've never set it up for this.

Based on my experience with the utility trailer I would image it would work great but I'm not sure how Ford has figured out to "see" behind the trailer.

I'm sure Ford has improved the system since 2016. If they have and it works like it does on my single axle utility trailer then I would use it every time. It's just so easy.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:40 AM   #8
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I have this on my 2016 F150.

I use it every time I back up my little single axle utility trailer. It's narrow and short enough that when backing up straight you cannot see it in the mirrors. But when using the system I can easily navigate figure 8's with no problem. Note! Bright sun reflection will make seeing very tough.

Our 21C has tandem axles and is a dream to back up so I've never set it up for this.

Based on my experience with the utility trailer I would image it would work great but I'm not sure how Ford has figured out to "see" behind the trailer.

I'm sure Ford has improved the system since 2016. If they have and it works like it does on my single axle utility trailer then I would use it every time. It's just so easy.
I completely agree. I've got the 2018 backup system for the F150 and never use it. The problem is you can't see behind the trailer, so backing up turning the "backup knob" or steering wheel, does not seem to matter. I do use the backup camera on the trailer once in awhile, but I don't solely rely on it, and it's not good enough to rely on it using the backup system.

If I were buying a new truck today I'd look for the 3D - all-around camera systems. We have one in our 2015 Nissan Rogue and it is awesome. I've parked and moved that car through areas where you normally could not, and without a scratch. I'm also curious if the new Chevy backup camera will actually let you "see" behind an Escape.

Finally, depending on where you live (dealers are more accommodating in some parts of the country than others), hopefully the dealer will let you take the truck home and let you try a short tow with it. That will give you a good sense if the investment in the backup stuff is worth it.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Our new F150 has it, and I hoped initially that it might help the wife. Bottom line is that she has not used it, has no interest in doing so, and I find using it to be more hassle than not. The precision of trailer angle control seems too sloppy for me, I do better with my mirrors and the Furrion rear camera mounted on the back of the E21. I would not personally consider presence of this option a reason for a purchase decision.

As others mentioned though, the all round camera system has been a pleasant surprise. It turns out to be really useful, especially when navigating tight spaces like carports or parking lots. I would now no longer purchase a vehicle without the system.

Overall, I wish I had moved from the Tacoma to the F150 earlier. The extra power and range, combined with better mileage, comfort, and details like cameras and navigation options have been a considerably larger benefit than I imagined they would be.

And if anyone here is considering an F150, I can confirm that the 2.7 ecoboost is superb for towing the E21. The 3.5 is absolutely not necessary, and the 2.7 gets better mileage.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post

And if anyone here is considering an F150, I can confirm that the 2.7 ecoboost is superb for towing the E21. The 3.5 is absolutely not necessary, and the 2.7 gets better mileage.
I've always felt that I was a lone voice in the wilderness on that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've always felt that I was a lone voice in the wilderness on that.
Far from it methinks, there seem to be quite a few very happy 2.7 EB F150 owners here.

IMO it's very unfortunate that for 2024 model year Ford has cut back on some of the trailer towing options on trucks with the 2.7 EcoBoost. For example, the sole Tow/Haul Package in 2024 cannot be had with the 2.7, and that means the IMO wonderful trailer-towing mirrors cannot be had even as a stand-alone option.

The 2.7 is also no longer available on the Lariat trim at all.

At least the integral trailer brake controller is still available as a stand-alone option with the 2.7 engine.

. .
Old 01-01-2024, 05:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

Overall, I wish I had moved from the Tacoma to the F150 earlier. The extra power and range, combined with better mileage, comfort, and details like cameras and navigation options have been a considerably larger benefit than I imagined they would be.

That's where I was last year at this time. Going from a Nissan Frontier to a F150. After the first trip I asked myself what the heck took me so long. Shortly after I had that thought, Linda looked at me and said, "what the heck took you so long!"

As for the 2.7EB being plenty to pull a camper, I'm sure it is but I will take your word for it. I will say that if I was okay with the 2.7, I would have had a ton more options because they were more plentiful than the 3.5.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA - arriving early Feb!
Pro Trailer Backup Assist - LC3T14G621AD

I have a 2021 F150 that has the newer system which works on 5th wheels. I haven't tried it yet because our 5.0 does not arrive until next month.

If you have the 12-pin receptacle near your 7-pin trailer umbilical plug you may be able to use the system. The kit needed is Ford Part# LC3T14G621AD

My truck was bought used and this kit was under the seat. I had no idea what it was until I looked up the part # and was very excited to find out what it was used for. There are lots of them available on ebay if you need one.

Here is Ford's short demo video: https://youtu.be/rdBBa7Yxms4
texastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:23 AM   #14

I am glad I got the 2023 version fully fitted with trailer and payload options. I think Ford is making a mistake here, the 2.7 is a perfect tool for trailers the size of the E21. I love ours. The 3.5 is not required.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I am glad I got the 2023 version fully fitted with trailer and payload options. I think Ford is making a mistake here, the 2.7 is a perfect tool for trailers the size of the E21. I love ours. The 3.5 is not required.
I would agree that the 2.7 EcoBoost is adequate to tow any Escape. But I will say the first tow vehicle I used to tow my 2015 5.0TA was a 2012 F-150 with a 3.5 EcoBoost. It was purchased off the lot and it did not have the options I wanted. Also, I did not like the color. When Ford switched to aluminum bodies and reduced weight, I ordered a 2.7 with all the options and in the color I wanted. In 2019, when EMP from a nearby lightning strike scrambled much of its electronics and Ford was unable to repair it with several visits to the local dealership, I traded it in for a new 2020 with a 3.5 EcoBoost. There is a reason I went back to a 3.5 liter. The 2.7 is good; the 3.5 is better (IMO, based on my experience with both). YMMV
Old 01-17-2024, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would agree that the 2.7 EcoBoost is adequate to tow any Escape. But I will say the first tow vehicle I used to tow my 2015 5.0TA was a 2012 F-150 with a 3.5 EcoBoost. It was purchased off the lot and it did not have the options I wanted. Also, I did not like the color. When Ford switched to aluminum bodies and reduced weight, I ordered a 2.7 with all the options and in the color I wanted. In 2019, when EMP from a nearby lightning strike scrambled much of its electronics and Ford was unable to repair it with several visits to the local dealership, I traded it in for a new 2020 with a 3.5 EcoBoost. There is a reason I went back to a 3.5 liter. The 2.7 is good; the 3.5 is better (IMO, based on my experience with both). YMMV
I haven't towed with the 3.5, so I have no way of direct comparison for towing, but I did test drive the 3.5. When I bought the 2.7, my priority was better mileage, especially when not towing, which is the majority of the vehicle's use. Bottom line for me is that I am delighted with the towing performance, and mileage is as good as it can be with a full sized truck (other, arguably, than some diesels, but I do not want a diesel).

While the 3.5 has more power, the 2.7 is remarkably close. At any rate, I would not trade for a 3.5 now that I have tried the 2.7. As you note, other's opinions will no doubt vary.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I use my son's 2.7EB F150 and my 3.5EB Expedition to tow my 21NE - both are 2017 models with the 6spd transmission. They both are excellent tow vehicles. The F150 is geared a little higher and so runs at higher RPMs for the same speed. I don't think it gets any better mileage. The Expedition feels more powerful, but the F150 does not feel in any way inadequate.
The main consideration for choosing which vehicle to use depends on who is going and what we are taking. If I'm taking his daughters along with bicycles, beach toys, lots of firewood, etc., I take his truck. If it's just me and the wife, we take the Expy. The Expy is easier to load the tandem kayak on, but has less payload and can't handle several bikes or other bulky items.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:16 AM   #18

Quote:
I haven't towed with the 3.5, so I have no way of direct comparison for towing, but I did test drive the 3.5. When I bought the 2.7, my priority was better mileage, especially when not towing, which is the majority of the vehicle's use. Bottom line for me is that I am delighted with the towing performance, and mileage is as good as it can be with a full sized truck (other, arguably, than some diesels, but I do not want a diesel).

While the 3.5 has more power, the 2.7 is remarkably close. At any rate, I would not trade for a 3.5 now that I have tried the 2.7. As you note, other's opinions will no doubt vary.
When I purchased my now “deceased” aluminum bodied 2.7 EB 2015, I was hoping for better gas mileage than my 2012 3.5 EB steel bodied F-150. It turned out to be a false hope as it was essentially identical. The 2.7 was better when not towing and is better than my 2020 aluminum bodied 3.5 EB. But I partially disagree with “remarkably close.” When not towing I would agree, but when towing, the 2.7 is nowhere close to the 3.5, and I have watched transmission temperatures when climbing go much higher as well as much faster when I had the 2.7 vs the 3.5. However, my F-150 was purchased primarily for towing, so it is only used for exploring or shopping when we are RVing. As a result, I really don’t fret over the fact that the 2.7 would get 4 or 5 mpg more when not towing.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I would agree this is a good feature that Ford added. I do not have it on my 2020 XLT but it apparently requires one to open the Smart Phone FordPass app to use it, which seems a bit cumbersome to me. For years I have simply stood in the back of the trailer and the two sides and pressed the lock button on my key. That flashes all the lights on the truck and the trailer if the umbilical cord is connected. And since one has to walk around the trailer anyway, it would seem just as efficient. Since I do not have a Lariat, the F-150 uses the ignition key to start so it is at hand when I am preparing to depart. This method for checking lights can be used by anyone who doesn’t have this latest F-150 feature.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:50 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would agree this is a good feature that Ford added. I do not have it on my 2020 XLT but it apparently requires one to open the Smart Phone FordPass app to use it, which seems a bit cumbersome to me. For years I have simply stood in the back of the trailer and the two sides and pressed the lock button on my key. That flashes all the lights on the truck and the trailer if the umbilical cord is connected. And since one has to walk around the trailer anyway, it would seem just as efficient. Since I do not have a Lariat, the F-150 uses the ignition key to start so it is at hand when I am preparing to depart. This method for checking lights can be used by anyone who doesn’t have this latest F-150 feature.
On my 2022 XLT, you can invoke this from the info screen in the cab. The truck will go through the sequence a couple of times giving you a chance to walk around.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote