Pullrite hitch for 5.5 foot beds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2024, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Pullrite hitch for 5.5 foot beds

Hello again,

Has anyone heard of the Model 2700 Pullrite super glide hitch supposedly designed for short beds. Someone is selling his nearly new one in which I only need to buy the frame mounting brackets and a capture plate. He wants quite a bit, hoping he’ll come down on his price, but he did say he would install it once I got a hitching company to put in the frame mounting brackets and drill the holes. I wrote all this down but otherwise know nothing.

I do have a Reese 15,000 hitch, but it’s not the kind that slides back on tight turns. I do have a long ways to go from Washington to Texas, and I want to be safe. He’s advertising it as a “short bed 5th wheel hitch.”

Any thoughts on whether I should purchase this? I may be able to get him to agree to $850 from the $1,000 he’s asking which he says is very low compared to a new one and he does have the rails AND will install it. Oh, I don’t have the hardware for the Reese and will have to pay for those and was given an quote of $950 to install, so maybe it’s a no brainer,

Thanks,
Marjorie
shlm2umac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
IMO you don't need a sliding hitch for a 5.0TA but what do I know.

I've been using the standard Reece 15,000 hitch I bought from ETI for 9 years in my short box trucks with no difficulties. Unlike some other very high mileage ppl here on the forum I've only towed about 20,000km.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
IMO you don't need a sliding hitch for a 5.0TA but what do I know.

I've been using the standard Reece 15,000 hitch I bought from ETI for 9 years in my short box trucks with no difficulties. Unlike some other very high mileage ppl here on the forum I've only towed about 20,000km.
I agree!... OP needs to do more research on the forum.. Plenty of people towing 5.0 without sliding hitch. I can't comment to the price of hitch being sold. I know nothing about them. I use the Andersen rail mount for my 5.o... Like many people on here.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We use an Andersen rail mount hitch in a 6’2” bed. I actually spin the hitch around to pull it tighter to the truck by 6-8”. In other words, I don’t think you’ll want or need a sliding hitch for a 5.0.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
We use an Andersen rail mount hitch in a 6’2” bed. I actually spin the hitch around to pull it tighter to the truck by 6-8”. In other words, I don’t think you’ll want or need a sliding hitch for a 5.0.
As stated, an Andersen hitch allows the ball to be in a forward or rearward position. The “standard accepted” position for a 5th wheel hitch is slightly in front of the rear axle. The reason for that is that a heavy pin weight on a behemoth “stickie” 5th wheel would act like a lever lifting the front (steering) wheels of the tow vehicle off the ground resulting in no directional control. However, this really doesn’t apply to either the 5.0 or to a Scamp 19 which hitches like a 5th wheel but is really not a 5th wheel because it does not have a kingpin, it has a coupler and a ball just like the Andersen hitch modifies the 5.0. 5th wheel refers to the form of connection and a true 5th wheel does not require safety chains; the Scamp 19 and anyone using an Andersen hitch legally require safety chains. But back to my point. The “hitch” weight of the 5.0 or the Scamp 19 is not heavy enough to cause steering instability if the hitching point is behind the rear axle UNLESS your pet elephant is sleeping in the front of the trailer. Due to clearance issues, Scamp often installs hitches where the ball is behind the axle. The Andersen hitch will give you more clearance and you will be able to lift it out of the bed of the truck. You do NOT need the Pullrite or any other sliding hitch.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
The Andersen hitch weighs just 35 lbs, so even an old lady like me can put it in & take it out by myself. Don't think I'd like riding around with a big hitch in the bed of the truck when not towing for a while. Just my 2 cents worth. :-)

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Good point

Great point you make Lorraine. I hadn’t thought about the fact that I’d have that 200 lb hitch in the bed all the time. Thank you! Marjorie
shlm2umac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Reace told me when we bought our 2017 5.0 TA that we should not use the Pull Rite. Better check with ETI be fore purchasing.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote