Security used when camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
Raf

Trailer: N/A
Security used when camping

Hi everyone,

We are new to camping with a 5.0 trailer. I know that with travel trailers and other trailers people lock the hitch for security so my question is what do people do if anything with a 5.0

Thanks for the replies.
Raf
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
You have already made your first and best security choice. It was in the top 3 reasons we chose a 5th wheel. Fifth wheels are the second most popular RV at around 22%, second to bumper pulled at near 28%.
But the rate of stolen trailers for fifth wheels is under 3% of all RV's stolen.
Why? Your guess is likely better than mine, but thousand dollar hitches might be some of the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
Hi everyone,

We are new to camping with a 5.0 trailer. I know that with travel trailers and other trailers people lock the hitch for security so my question is what do people do if anything with a 5.0

Thanks for the replies.
Raf
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We use one of these https://war-lok.com/products/king-pin-lock
would be very difficult to cut off, it's made of steel and due to the shape the way it fits up against the flat plate and over the king pin. Maybe the lock could be drilled out but I think it would be difficult at least.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 05:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.
Raf
I assume your doing remote boondocking? Probably not an issue at campgrounds with other campers around...
Old 02-04-2024, 04:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
We use one of these https://war-lok.com/products/king-pin-lock
would be very difficult to cut off, it's made of steel and due to the shape the way it fits up against the flat plate and over the king pin. Maybe the lock could be drilled out but I think it would be difficult at least.
I use the same Warlock Kingpin lock. In addition to the security it provides, it has a handle. The very first mod I made to my 2015 5.0TA was to put stainless steel I-bolts in the reinforcing triangles by the cabinets under the loft so that I could string clotheslines from the Warlock’s handles to the I-bolts providing an “undercover” place to hang towels, bathing suits, etc. to dry in the event of rain showers. The lines have snaps that quickly attach to the handle and the I-bolts.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
We use one like this but ours is bright yellow. I'm not sure it's the best design or best security but it would be a deterrent anyway.

The way it fis tightly to the king pin slot makes it difficult to get a saw or grinder in there to cut it off.

The one shown in earlier replies is likely stronger. Mine didn't cost anywhere near $200., not that price was my deciding factor. I came across the lock, thought it a good idea and bought it. Admittedly, upgrading may be a good idea.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
We use one like this but ours is bright yellow. I'm not sure it's the best design or best security but it would be a deterrent anyway.

The way it fis tightly to the king pin slot makes it difficult to get a saw or grinder in there to cut it off.

The one shown in earlier replies is likely stronger. Mine didn't cost anywhere near $200.
When I purchased my Warlock, it was $99. Seems it has doubled in price. But it is keyed the same as a Warlock puck lock I use with a Little House Customs bracket for a Honda EU2000i.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When camping we lock the door if we are going to be away for a while. That and carry good insurance. I do have a secret disconnect to the landing gear switches.

Maybe I should worry more but not a bit fan of worrying.

One set of stats I found says that less than 10% of stolen RVs are when taken camping. Storage yard theft is 41%, from businesses is 29%, from homes is 17% and roadside is 4%. To steal mine at home thieves would have to first find it, then cut a good lock on the heavy wooden gate and then either remove the Anderson coupler or actually have an Anderson hitch. They would also need to figure out where the switches are for the landing gear and find out where my disconnect switch. Methinks they will go for a bumper pull elsewhere.

This article had bumper pulls at 82% of thefts and fifth wheels at 2.5%.

I do realize that a different article might have different stats posted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:05 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
How many thieves have an Andersen hitch in the back of their truck beds? When I decided on an Andersen hitch to pull our 5.0 I felt their hitch included security.

How many Escape 5.0’s with an Andersen hitch have ever been stolen? Probably zero.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When camping we lock the door if we are going to be away for a while. That and carry good insurance. I do have a secret disconnect to the landing gear switches.

Maybe I should worry more but not a bit fan of worrying.

We use our pin lock in our storage yard and when we leave the trailer sitting somewhere unattended. We like to boondock, often in out-of-the-way places so it provides some peace of mind that the trailer will be there when we return.

Of course we have insurance on the trailer but hopefully the lock will spare us the inconvenience of a ruined trip and insurance claim(s).

Like your good idea of a landing gear disconnect our pin lock is more a matter of mindful awareness than worrying. The lock removes the worry.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

When camping we lock the door if we are going to be away for a while.
I'm not worried about someone stealing my trailer when I'm camping. But if I'm boon docking by myself and away on a hike etc. I'm more worried about a break-in. I've always being a fan of alarm systems at home, long before they became mainstream. Anyone breaks into my trailer I'm going to hear about it. Hopefully the siren will also encourage them to move on, sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post

How many thieves have an Andersen hitch in the back of their truck beds?
I've seen stories where thieves just took the safety chains and used them as a crude hitch to haul a trailer away. I'm wondering if there's any reported cases where they just dropped a 5th wheel hitch into the back of a truck without the proper hitch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Hello Raf,

If you end up using the Andersen hitch this is the lock we use for ours. Or rather this is what we use to go around our coupler on the trailer, we use a different puck lock than pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-02-04 2.43.13 PM.png   Screenshot 2024-02-04 2.47.22 PM.png  
Old 02-04-2024, 03:14 PM   #13

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
I have the Fort Knox lock on our 5.0, with the Abloy sentry cylinder key lock.

You could probably get thru it eventually with a battery powered angle grinder (they will cut anything), but it would be a very noisy doing it. And then assuming you get that off you’ve got the Anderson coupler to deal with, which to be honest you can get off with the right sized socket.

I also have 2 airtags (with speakers removed) hidden inside the trailer, so worst case hopefully i can track it down.

Ours os parked at home, and usually has a car in front of it.

But as has been pointed out 5th wheels a lot less likely to be stolen, and I’ve never heard of a 5.0 being stolen.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not worried about someone stealing my trailer when I'm camping. But if I'm boon docking by myself and away on a hike etc. I'm more worried about a break-in. I've always being a fan of alarm systems at home, long before they became mainstream. Anyone breaks into my trailer I'm going to hear about it. Hopefully the siren will also encourage them to move on, sooner than later.
I am sure a siren would quickly dissuade them. When boondocking I too don't really worry as no thieves would likely head out into the backcountry looking for a possible trailer to steal, or so I think.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-04-2024, 06:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
How many thieves have an Andersen hitch in the back of their truck beds? When I decided on an Andersen hitch to pull our 5.0 I felt their hitch included security.

How many Escape 5.0’s with an Andersen hitch have ever been stolen? Probably zero.

Enjoy,

Perry
My thoughts aline with Perrys.... and thats why I have insurance... I worry about a lot of things in my life... But theft of my 5.0 isn't one of them...
Old 02-14-2024, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Fort Knox Lock for the Andersen Hitch:
https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop/ols/pro...onnection-lock
https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop/ols/pro...puck-lock-body
With this on the trailer, I never worry about theft. It's worth every penny!
1996-2005: 1987 Award 23'
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
My thoughts aline with Perrys.... and thats why I have insurance... I worry about a lot of things in my life... But theft of my 5.0 isn't one of them...
I'm not worried about total theft. When left in isolated spots I worry more about someone using a pry bar on the door and then looting through everything inside.

If you've ever had a burglary you'll know that the insurance doesn't cover the feeling of outrage and violation of a burglary.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:32 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
Hello Raf,

If you end up using the Andersen hitch this is the lock we use for ours. Or rather this is what we use to go around our coupler on the trailer, we use a different puck lock than pictured.
We use the Fort Knox lock on our Andersen Hitch coupler. Living here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, if it's not secured to the ground, it will get stolen. Fortunately, New Mexico will be in our rear view mirrors in a week.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not worried about total theft. When left in isolated spots I worry more about someone using a pry bar on the door and then looting through everything inside.

If you've ever had a burglary you'll know that the insurance doesn't cover the feeling of outrage and violation of a burglary.

Ron
When our 5.0TA was broken into it was by someone who broke through the gate at our rec land. We were quite surprised as it is mostly farmers around, but obviously someone just drove out there.

Nobody around for a few miles so not much to stop them. They busted my door latch trying to break in and when that didn't work the smashed to door window. That worked. They only took things quick to resell like a portable solar panel and a bunch of small electric doodads. Reace sent me a replacement window which was an easy replacement.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I don’t worry a lot in campgrounds. And at home it’s in the driveway with my truck in front of it.

However I have hidden AirTags on the trailer and other high theft items. Two years in I am very happy with how the AirTags work.

If boondocking I add wheel locks, Proven hitch lock and wrap my chains around tongue jack landless and padlock.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote