Security used when camping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2024, 08:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I also use AirTags on my truck, trailer and dogs....also use a Fort Knox lock on my trailer coupler. Any lock is just a deterrent hoping they pick an easier target.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
AirTags are good for finding dogs, keys, and non-valuable items, but as a theft deterrent/recovery item one needs to hope that the thief does not own an iPhone and gets a warning that there is an AirTag in his/her proximity, because the iPhone can also be used to locate and disable it. An AirTag will also beep in this situation making it easier to locate, unless the tiny internal speaker is removed. Apple is very concerned that AirTags can/could be used for nefarious purposes. Yes, they may help if theft is quickly noticed and recovery is rapid, but a stolen trailer hauled to the boonies where there are no iPhones around to detect the AirTag and report its location is likely gone for good.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
AirTags are good for finding dogs, keys, and non-valuable items, but as a theft deterrent/recovery item one needs to hope that the thief does not own an iPhone and gets a warning that there is an AirTag in his/her proximity, because the iPhone can also be used to locate and disable it. An AirTag will also beep in this situation making it easier to locate, unless the tiny internal speaker is removed. Apple is very concerned that AirTags can/could be used for nefarious purposes. Yes, they may help if theft is quickly noticed and recovery is rapid, but a stolen trailer hauled to the boonies where there are no iPhones around to detect the AirTag and report its location is likely gone for good.
Not my experience. After two years and seven tags in motion.

If you are a bad guy, Are you going to look for one or more AirTags on a trailer or just pass it by?

For less than $100.00 for four AirTags, I don’t why you would not have them.

One more tool in the tool box.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

If you are a bad guy, Are you going to look for one or more AirTags on a trailer or just pass it by?

Thank you my thoughts also....
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Thank you my thoughts also....
First, I DO use AirTags so saying “I don’t know why you would not have them” is making an assumption that I do not or anyone else does not. Nor will I debate that for their price they are a good bargain. I was only pointing out their “negative” aspects. If the so-called bag guy (or anyone with him/her) has an iPhone, he/she will be quickly alerted that he/she is in close proximity to an AirTag that does not belong to them. Furthermore, the AirTag will start audibly beeping making it easier to locate. If you do not believe this, then I suggest you both do a bit of research. I would point out that a false sense of security is probably better than no sense of security whatsoever. However, if relying on an AirTag as the only anti-theft device, the AirTag owner had better hope that the theft is discovered before the thief realizes there is an AirTag “tracking” the item.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:45 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
One would think that AirTags would be quickly removed. However there have been a number of newspaper stories here of high end stolen vehicles being tracked over weeks because the owner had an AirTag in it. Some were tracked all the way to Africa. The vehicle owner had pictures taken of his vehicle for sale on a car lot there. It still had his Ontario license plates on it. So these are not joyriding kids but “professionals”, seems they don’t bother.
Seems like a no brainer for the small cost.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
One would think that AirTags would be quickly removed. However there have been a number of newspaper stories here of high end stolen vehicles being tracked over weeks because the owner had an AirTag in it. Some were tracked all the way to Africa. The vehicle owner had pictures taken of his vehicle for sale on a car lot there. It still had his Ontario license plates on it. So these are not joyriding kids but “professionals”, seems they don’t bother.
Seems like a no brainer for the small cost.
Bob
This is all true. But there are many cases where people relying on AirTags never recovered stolen property. The ones that do not get recovered DO NOT make the newspapers. So do as you please, but kindly do not complain on the Escape Owner’s Forum if your AirTag “protected” trailer gets stolen and not recovered. But I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen to anyone.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I admit I have a hard time thinking like a thief, but if I was smart enough to use an iPhone to check for AirTags, then perhaps just knowing that there was one or more might make me pass up this trailer and move on to the next.

As the trailer owner I would disable the speakers with a dab of silicone glue and perhaps hide one Tag outside, say in the AC shroud or the bathroom vent. In other words, hard to find quickly but leave one or two in an easy to find spot. The thief finds a couple with disabled speakers and detects another he can't find? That, plus a serious hitch lock might make the difference?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I admit I have a hard time thinking like a thief, but if I was smart enough to use an iPhone to check for AirTags, then perhaps just knowing that there was one or more might make me pass up this trailer and move on to the next.

As the trailer owner I would disable the speakers with a dab of silicone glue and perhaps hide one Tag outside, say in the AC shroud or the bathroom vent. In other words, hard to find quickly but leave one or two in an easy to find spot. The thief finds a couple with disabled speakers and detects another he can't find? That, plus a serious hitch lock might make the difference?
You make valid points, Alan. However, AirTags must be in the proximity of an iPhone to “report” its location. And make note that a dab of silicon glue will not totally muffle the sound. The mini-speaker must be removed (you can find a video on YouTube). I am only trying to explain to people that it is not wise to rely on them as an absolute theft deterrent.

Again, if a thief or his/her accomplice has an iPhone they are quickly notified that they are in the presence of one or more AirTags that they do not own, and can try to locate it/them to deactivate them. If they steal an item with an AirTag and make a beeline for the boonies (where there are no iPhones) the AirTag will not be able to display its location because they operate through a network of iPhones. Depending on the age of the battery in the AirTag, once the battery goes dead and is not replaced, the AirTag stops doing what it is intended to do (a fresh 2032 battery will last for @ 1 year).

There are far more reliable ways to track a stolen trailer that do not announce their presence. A GPS tracker is probably the best, but it does cost more and they have subscription fees that are not prohibitively expensive. AirTags can be used as a secondary or backup to a GPS tracker. That brings to mind the old adage “you get what you pay for.” If someone wishes to believe that he/she is being clever or frugal by protecting a several thousand dollar investment with a $30 item ($100 for 4) rather than spending more for greater reliability, so be it; it is their decision to make. While I do not want anyone to suffer a loss from theft, I cannot have pity for anyone who is (another old adage) “penny-wise and pound-foolish.”
Old 02-22-2024, 06:47 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post

Good point, Alan. If a would-be thief has an iPhone they would be alerted to the presence of an AirTag when they are preparing to steal the trailer and that may be enough to have them pass it up. In that way it may actually be a deterrent for some thieves. I wouldn't want to depend on it but it's another tool.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:37 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I don’t consider an AirTag a theft deterrent unless the Escape has a notice, AirTag Protected ! I think that defeats the purpose of a tracker.

As previously stated it’s another tool in the tool box, along with good locks etc. And doesn’t replace insurance.

My experience as an IPhone user for sometime is that I am not notified constantly of the presence of an AirTag even though many friends have them on their keys, bags etc. We drive together, visit etc and I’m never notified. Actually one time I spent the day with my grandkids, at a cottage two hour drive from home. On the drive home that evening I got a notice that an AirTag was travelling with me just as we pulled into the driveway. First and only time it’s happened.

Certainly a thief can scan the RV with an iPhone or Android and determine if it has an AirTag and then go about finding it. I suppose that could be a deterrent if they just wanted to cut a lock and drive off.

I don’t know if an AirTag would alert a driver in the tow vehicle about an AirTag ?

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
I too have air tags in use on my trailer as an additional source.

But.... I use a commercial system put out by Dewalt. It is the Dewalt Mobile Lock system which is a security system kinda like a home system with it's motion detection and other sensors and GPS.
Take a look at their site here: https://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/ to get a full understanding of what it is and how it works. Their prices are listed and you can put together a system that works for you and a price that will fit your budget.
I find this to be a good system for the price.

As one has said........ Locks are for honest people...... but I'm still going to try and keep what is mine.

Check this system out...... it may not be what your looking for, but looking doesn't cost a thing. Knowledge is power...

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails.... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:41 AM   #33

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Funny story about airtags.

I’ve got them on both our vehicles and 2 in the trailer. All hidden with speakers removed.

Anyhoo our daughter borrowed my wife’s car to visit her boyfriend. Apparently at some point the boyfriend got the warning notification there was an unidentified airtag nearby. (They didn’t know I had hidden an airtag in the car)

His Findmy app pinpointed the location to the car and he then spent 10 mins trying to find the airtag, and failed, even though the findmy app got him to within a foot of it.

I think this is a pretty good (cheap) tracking device if nothing else. An airtag won’t stop a theft, but it might give you time to find a stolen trailer/vehicle.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:49 AM   #34

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I read a security article about using Airtags for trailers that mentioned that Apple had implemented a feature that prevented a thief from scanning for the Airtag until 8 hours after the tag was moved.

Have not confirmed how that might work.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:05 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Huh, so much paranoia over "stuff".

https://youtu.be/MvgN5gCuLac?si=vXFH3Cc1ExwG9_H7
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:50 AM   #36

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post