Some 2020/21 Tow Vehicles - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #161

Trailer: Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
It's hard to ignore the superior performance and efficiency of the turbo engines though. For example, the Ford 3.5L offers 24% more torque than the 5.0L V8, same power (at sea level), will retain that power much better at altitude. Meanwhile the 5.0L V8 burns 20% more fuel.
True. Not that I care much about fuel economy at today's prices.

But just to throw another wrinkle into this discussion, the announcements in the last few days about solid-state batteries may make this a moot point, maybe even soon enough to matter for this audience.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #162
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
If you get the E350, for sure get the 17" wheels. All of our engineers drive M-B cars because we are Daimler and have an employee lease program. All of the M-B cars with upsized wheels are prone to killing wheels on potholes here in Detroit, but the E-class cars with the biggest wheels seem to be the worst offenders. If you stick to the base wheels with some actual rubber around them they are fine. But the big wheels / rubber band sets will almost never get through pothole season without killing at least one.

We've had guys call in - "Killed both wheels on the passenger side. Waiting on a tow truck, I'll be in late."

This "huge wheel, no rubber" idiocy can end any time as far as I'm concerned.
yes, it has the 17's, a major reason we looked long and hard for one of the 'luxury' versions instead of the far more common 'sport' package.

and yes, I'm totally with you concerning the idiocy of these huge wheels/skinny sidewalls on the majority of cars. /40 tires belong on a race track, not the street.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #163

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
It's hard to ignore the superior performance and efficiency of the turbo engines though. For example, the Ford 3.5L offers 24% more torque than the 5.0L V8, same power (at sea level), will retain that power much better at altitude. Meanwhile the 5.0L V8 burns 20% more fuel.
Agree, and frankly I don't care how well my car/truck will do when it's got 150k miles on the clock, as it will not be mine anymore. Just me, I know many view things differently, to each his/hers own
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #164

Here is a recent review of towing with the new diesel Jeep Gladiator. Summary: Not so good.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep...7gcNzjZBosg8kY
Old 12-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Agree, and frankly I don't care how well my car/truck will do when it's got 150k miles on the clock, as it will not be mine anymore. Just me, I know many view things differently, to each his/hers own
I heard recently that the average vehicle age in the US has climbed to 12 years old now. Clearly a lot of people are keeping their vehicles well past 150k miles - not that you are required to do so by any means.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #166

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Here is a recent review of towing with the new diesel Jeep Gladiator. Summary: Not so good.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep...7gcNzjZBosg8kY
Quote:
Every editor who drove the Gladiator with the trailer attached called the experience "scary"
Little less than 9% tongue weight, maybe that is why it towed poorly!

Quote:
5,200-pound Airstream Flying Cloud travel trailer & 467-pound tongue weight
Old 12-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #167

Trailer: Deposit placed on 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Little less than 9% tongue weight, maybe that is why it towed poorly!
But that's the specs straight from Airstream, right? So, 467lbs is a normal tongue weight for that trailer and that's what everyone gets when they buy the 23'...

The same folks tested the Gladiator gas engine model while towing last year without these issues; I would think it's likely caused by the extra weight of the diesel engine and what Jeep did to the suspension to compensate for the weight. Sounds like it's front-heavy.

Surprised they didn't try towing the same trailer with a Weight Distribution Hitch.

But, at any rate, most of the reviews of the Gladiator say while it "can" tow, that is not what it was designed for and it's really an off road vehicle for occasional hauling and towing. Really too bad since the engine is very interesting if not way overpriced.

I won't be surprised to see a new Dodge Dakota mid-sized truck within the next 2 years since the mid-range pickup segment is pretty hot right now.
jspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #168

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Regarding 4runner - used a 2016 to tow my current trailer - 17 foot Casita - all over the west ( from NC) - kept good numbers - averaged 13.6 mpg overall... completed about 9000 miles
Jrossjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #169

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Regarding the Tacoma - I noted a red block - 129% - was it that telling me ? I have a 2016 Tacoma and a 2016 4runner - getting the 19 foot Escape - sooner than later I hope - so concerned to see this.
Jrossjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #170

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I am with you. At 150K miles you start to have things that need replacing due to age and wear and tear. When I am on vacation towing my trailer with limited time I do not want a breakdown to ruin it. I know it can happen at less miles but the likelihood is much much lower. At home with my work when I need to go I need to go no excuses, so breakdowns are not acceptable either.

Most of the time I can still get pretty good money at 150k miles, so it works out for me. If I was to have multiple vehicles (read my wife won't have it!) then I could drive them into the ground...
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote