Sway Bar vs Weight Distribution Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Sway Bar vs Weight Distribution Hitch

We are seriously looking at upgrading from our 17’ Casita to the Escape 19, or possibly the 21. Our current towing setup is a 2016 Honda Pilot AWD with the factory tow package using a sway bar. Most photos I have seen with an Escape have been with the WDH. Is the WDH preferred over a sway bar? Can you tow the 19 using A sway bar?
Smjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sway is when the trailer swings behind the tow, caused by too light tongue weight. Also it is more prevalent in single axle models. The E19 should have little sway if loaded properly. The WDH shift some weight off the rear of the tow vehicle to the trailer and front of the tow. If you have squat where your headlights are no longer properly aimed is an example of needing a wdh set up. A tongue scale is your best tool to measure your tongue weight. There have been members here towing E19 with a Pilot but they were the 1stG models, not the newer ones.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21
I added a swaybar to my F150 to improve the handling all the time. I did make a big difference to the truck.
I do have a WD hitch for the 21.
With this setup I sometimes forget the trailer is back there!
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smjayhawk View Post
.... using a sway bar. ....
Are you referring to a friction device that fits between the vehicle hitch / trailer A-frame to 'deter' trailer-sway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
I added a swaybar to my F150 to improve the handling all the time. ....
Are you referring to a torsion bar that fits across the (rear and/or front) suspension of the tow vehicle to reduce vehicle body/chassis-roll?

Just seeking to clarify, wanting to avoid a potentially very confused discussion due to two totally unrelated uses of the term [anti-] "sway bar".

FWIW, I fully agree with @cpaharley2008's comments re: proper trailer tongue-weight bias being the best method to avoid trailer-sway and the purpose of a WDH.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Are you referring to a friction device that fits between the vehicle hitch / trailer A-frame to 'deter' trailer-sway?

Are you referring to a torsion bar that fits across the (rear and/or front) suspension of the tow vehicle to reduce vehicle body/chassis-roll?

Just seeking to clarify, wanting to avoid a potentially very confused discussion due to two totally unrelated uses of the term [anti-] "sway bar".

FWIW, I fully agree with @cpaharley2008's comments re: proper trailer tongue-weight bias being the best method to avoid trailer-sway and the purpose of a WDH.
It was a rear sway bar to prevent body roll. This and a set of Bilstein shocks completely changed the ride on a new F150. Added Timbren bump stops to help with the sag because I've usually got the bed loaded when going camping. I couldn't be happier with the ride when empty or hauling a trailer with the bed full. It's so good the wife will let me go 5 to 6 hundred mile a day!
My WD hitch is an Anderson so it has a friction damper built into the ball assy.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
We picked up our 21NE a month ago. We ordered the Fastway e2 WDH/anti-sway hitch along with it, and I was very glad that we did considering the wind/weather on our return home.

Driving from Chilliwack to the ferry, and then home after landing on Vancouver Island, we encountered crosswinds, gusts, and passing semi-trucks with no handling or white knuckle driving being experienced.

Granted, dual axles on the trailer certainly help mitigate 'sway' - but weather and wind conditions can play havoc and introduce sway.

Having researched all of the options available from ETI and others prior to ordering, I chose the Fastway e2 system. The major consideration was the ability to back up with the sway system attached...plus it has proven easy to use and hook up.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes the tow vehicle sway bar was not the op's question about a single axle Casita needing a w/d set up and one of those bolt on sway apparatus. The combined w/d and sway is a good solution for the Honda Pilot.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Check your manual

Some vehicles DO NOT recommend use of a WDH hitch. If you can, use one. If not, look for alternatives such as gas bag lifts at your rear springs, stiffer springs, etc.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Some vehicles DO NOT recommend use of a WDH hitch. If you can, use one. If not, look for alternatives such as gas bag lifts at your rear springs, stiffer springs, etc.

DO NOT recommend is not the same as DO NOT USE. I pursued this with Toyota and Toyota said "we do not have a relationship with a WDH manufacturer, so we do not recommend any particular WDH".
Old 07-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Some vehicles DO NOT recommend use of a WDH hitch. If you can, use one. .....
Noting that the OP's 2016 Honda Pilot Owners Manual (PDF page 457) specifically contemplates / allows the use of a properly set-up WDH:

"Your vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you wish to use one, please consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up. Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability, and braking performance of your vehicle."

Old 07-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Thanks for the discussion

Thanks all for the input and discussion. From what I gather, the WDH is the smart way to go. I have had good luck using the anti-sway bar with the Casita, but with a longer, heavier trailer the WDH makes sense.
Smjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway bar, wdh