Tow vehicle question - 2WD vs 4WD - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Thanks for all the helpful information. Based on all this info, I think I will keep the 2WD "for now". But I am going to keep my eye open for a good deal on a 4WD. I special ordered this Ram Laramie and don't want to have many if any changes other than the 4WD and brake controller. I am almost sure my differential is not the auto locking or posi-track. The place we stayed in Cloudcroft had a fairly steep gravel driveway. I had to get a bit of a running start to get to the top of the drive. We both love the mountains so that increases the need for 4WD IMO. Thanks again.
Glenn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Well, you've certainly gotten your moneys worth of advice with this thread, so I might as well add mine to the pile.

I've worked in the mountains all my professional life, and I've been in many situations where a 4x4 has been a necessity, but those situations were by choice. If you have a 4x4, you will likely put yourself in situations where you will use the feature, however, if you are "only" driving a 2wd and you are an experienced driver, there is no need to go out of your way to find trouble. People who don't like bar brawls tend to stay out of bars where they occur and yet those folks still manage to lead perfectly fulfilling lives, much to the amazement of the brawlers. Same thing applies to owning a 2wd vehicle.

I don't know what year model truck you have, but I'm sure you have already taken a big depreciation hit, so you might as well enjoy what you've got and give the truck an opportunity to demonstrate if it does what you want. If you are on the road, as opposed to being out in the weeds, and get stuck, use your insurance and call a tow truck to pull you out if there isn't some friendly help available. Life is only as difficult as you want to make it.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
TIRE, TIRES, TIRES!!
When I hear 4x4 owners speak of how they have needed the 4 wheel drive in various driving situations I think that there is a likely chance different tires would make a big difference.

We live in Minnesota and drive a 2 wheel drive F150, I do not carry extra weight in the box (even removed my 65 lb Andersen Ultimate this year). We do have the "locking rear axle" BUT we do run all weather - severe service tires. These tires carry the severe service symbol, but are designed to run year round. This is the 3rd winter running these tires and we have never been in need of anything more. I have also towed our trailer in winter road conditions with out issue.

I do carry a set of TracGrabber's for those instances I might need help getting those few feet that many speak of, but they are still unused.

I would buy 2 wheel drive again, but I would not buy one without the locking rear axle (I do use it regularly in poor traction situations) and I would switch tires to the all weather severe service tires.

BENEFITS OF USING TRAC-GRABBER TIRE TRACTION STRAPS
Peace of mind
Easy to install
Ability to rescue yourself without having to put yourself at the mercy of a stranger.
Ability to rescue yourself without having to wait for a towing service and then pay a towing fee.
Safe to use
Affordable
It only takes one person to put them on, drive out, take them off
Once installed, Trac-Grabber straps keep providing the necessary traction to get you to stable terrain.
Attached Thumbnails
TracGrabber-Closeup.png   TracGrabber-Stuck-Snow.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information. Based on all this info, I think I will keep the 2WD "for now". But I am going to keep my eye open for a good deal on a 4WD. I special ordered this Ram Laramie and don't want to have many if any changes other than the 4WD and brake controller. I am almost sure my differential is not the auto locking or posi-track. The place we stayed in Cloudcroft had a fairly steep gravel driveway. I had to get a bit of a running start to get to the top of the drive. We both love the mountains so that increases the need for 4WD IMO. Thanks again.
I agree, but before running out and buying a 4x4 I would make sure you don’t have a limited slip rear axle. If you don’t you could as others have said make sure you have good traction tires on the rear and possibly check with a really good shop to see if an electric or air locking rear differential could be installed. Ford pickups came with this option and I drove one here in Alaska and I had to get out and look to see if it was four wheel drive because it was incredible. I have a 4x4 for towing but I wouldn’t be afraid of having a 2 wheel drive. I certainly wouldn’t get rid of a truck that I really liked and special ordered. Just my 2 cents worth.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Real 4WD includes low range gearing. I do switch my SUV into low range sometimes when backing or pulling onto leveling blocks. It's much easier to go slow and precise. I wouldn't buy 4WD for that alone but it's one more advantage.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
Real 4WD includes low range gearing. I do switch my SUV into low range sometimes when backing or pulling onto leveling blocks. It's much easier to go slow and precise. I wouldn't buy 4WD for that alone but it's one more advantage.
That's a bit like "real trucks have beam axles, leaf springs, and drum brakes"... it really means "traditional 4WD includes low range gearing".

Yes, the lowest overall gearing available (meaning the lowest forward gear, in the lowest range if there are multiple ranges) should be very low, so the truck can creep slowly with power and control.

In ancient times all trucks had manual transmissions, but now almost all of them have automatics with torque converters which allow the engine to run at a reasonable speed at any road speed down to zero, without slipping a clutch. In recent years, automatics with several gear ratios have allowed manufacturers to offer lower first gear ratios than before, while still having taller top gear ratios for fuel economy... without resorting to a two-range auxiliary gearbox in the transfer case. Even some manual transmissions have 7 ratios, and in an SUV application the new Ford Bronco has a "creeper" first gear in its 7-speed.

Some hybrid systems (the one used by Toyota and similar systems from other manufacturers) use a power splitter which provides an infinitely low ratio - the engine can run at normal operating speed with the wheels not turning, no clutch slipping, and lots of torque available.

While most pickups offer a low range in their 4WD systems, it certainly isn't required to creep effectively. When offered, it is commonly only available with the front and rear axle speeds locked together, which will cause shaft wind-up and component damage if used on a surface with good traction (pavement) in tight turns (such as maneouvering a trailer)... so get informed before using this feature, and be cautious using it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I prefer a 4x4, once I got stuck in my camp site when I had a Ford Minivan and really big tent trailer. The site was in a gully and had loose gravel, the van spun the tires not budging the trailer. I had a neighbour with a F250 give me a tug.

Do you need it, not really. Watch this guy, Travelling Robert on Youtube, he has a 2wd Colorado and puts alot of miles on. He was talking about a trip to Alaska with his Winnebago trailer. His videos are really good. He writes all his own music and is a great story teller.

Another great video

Old 01-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #28

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21 NE, past: Escape 19 (2021)
Hi Glen54, I have a Ram 1500 Eco-diesel 4x4, but use it mostly in 2WD mode (cheaper on gas). The bottom line is that you an tow just fine with the 2WD in most conditions. Cruising the interstates won’t be a problem.

If you keep the current truck it just means avoiding the conditions that need 4WD which I suspect is pretty easy for you to do given your comments. Upgrading to a 4WD would cost some $$ and if $$ is not an issue go for it. Otherwise wait till you need a new truck or you come across a great deal. If you are a 4 season RVer (especially here in Canada) or you like to camp at Forestry campsites (very common up here and most require logging or gravel roads to get to) then 4WD is a must. It really comes down to driving appropriately with the vehicle you have.
RMarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #29

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
If you don’t need 4 wheel drive for other things, you won’t need it to pull your new 5.0 TA. Enjoy truck and go have fun.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Sometimes inclement weather and bad road conditions finds us. We don’t have to go looking for it. With parks being overwhelmed during peak season, it’s possible to find oneself in a boondock site somewhere , either in season or out..
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
If you don’t need 4 wheel drive for other things, you won’t need it to pull your new 5.0 TA.
I would say that is far from true. Pulling a couple tons of trailer up a slippery slope or out of a muddy campsite takes a lot more traction than driving in the same place with just the truck, and the pin weight of the trailer adds much less traction than additional trailer mass and drag requires. But still, if you only tow in places and conditions that are not traction challenges, you won't need four wheel drive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
I have a Ram 1500 (Ecodiesel) with 4 wheel drive but I can't recall any times yet that I've actually needed the 4WD. With the trailer putting additional weight on your back tires, I can't imagine that you'll have any issues at all.

Tags
2wd, 4wd