Towing with a Ford Ranger - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My wife has a 2019 Chevy Equinox with the 2.0 liter turbo engine that produces 252 hp and
265 lbs of torque. The Ford Ranger has a 2.3 liter engine that produces 270 hp and approx 300 lbs of torque .
The Equinox is rated to tow 3500 lbs with the 2.0 liter engine and a 9 speed transmission
After driving the Equinox for almost 6 months I would not attempt to tow any trailer heavier than about 1000 lbs , the power is just not there
What has Ford done to get its 7500 lb tow rating with approx the same size engine as the Equinox ?
I’ve towed with a Nissan Frontier with the 4 cylinder engine and that was not a good experience
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
Would check that with the Ranger the bed wall are high, very high.

Full size or midsize is a personal choice as both will do much the same with an Escape trailler.
The high bed walls have been present for quite a few years now on pretty much all pickups. On my Mazda pickups of yesteryear I could stand beside the box and reach in and touch the bed floor. Now I need a step ladder.

Since I've had compact pickups most of my driving life, and always said that I'd never have a full size pickup , never say never , one of the best aspects of the larger box is I've finally broken the need for a cap. I always hated them yet I needed more storage space in the box. So on they went until I couldn't stand them anymore then I removed them. A real love-hate affair. The F150 box, with a hard cover, holds everything I need and I still have great visibility all round.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What has Ford done to get its 7500 lb tow rating with approx the same size engine as the Equinox ?
Towing capacity has little to do with engine size, and is highly dependent on engine and transmission cooling, and other details related to durability under load. In the case of the Ranger versus Equinox comparison, the maximum hitch weight capacity is also relevant, and that is limited by factors such as rear suspension capacity, rear spring stiffness, and wheelbase.

A Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 L V8 is rated to tow 12,100 pounds. A Chevrolet Corvette with the same engine (or more specifically the LT1 variant with 40 more horsepower than the L87 in the truck) is not rated to tow anything at all. The engine is size is only one factor.

A more informative comparison might be between Fords - the Ford Explorer, Mustang, and Focus RS & ST, plus the Lincoln MKC and Corsair, all have the same 2.3 Ecoboost engine as the Ranger, but in different tunes. The Dallara Stradale, Zenos E10 R, and VUHL 05 RR all have this engine as well. The towing capacity varies widely, and the highest towing capacity is in the vehicle with the lowest power rating. That is not a coincidence - there is a huge difference in the way these vehicles are used, and how long an engine is expected to work hard, resulting in substantially different cooling systems and other details. They're also equipped with a variety of very different transmissions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
Would appreciate any information on towing with Ranger....especially if towing a 5.0TA. How does it handle mountain driving? Curious as to whether you have a 4x2 or 4x4, Super Cab or Super Crew...thanks in advance.
I tow a 5.0 with the 2019 ford ranger Supercab, 6’2” bed. Off road package and heavy duty tow package. I added airbags to the rear suspension. I don’t worry about weighing everything, i just load the Truck & 5.0 up and go. The Anderson hitch works well and i have never had a problem with power from the 2.3 eco boost engine. The rig (truck & 5.0) handles well. I live and tow in BC Canada and mountains have not been a problem.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #25

The manufacturer decides what the loading & tow limits are for any of their vehicles & the government accepts those limits. There is no scientific formula for figuring out the limits. Mostly it’s frame strength, engine & transmission combination along with live testing. The outcome is subjective in that its a balance of actual loads, safety factor & consumer wants (advertising). If a manufacturer doesn’t want you towing much say with a car or suv with a light frame or unibody then they will put a low loading & tow rating. On the other hand with a pickup truck meant for hauling loads & towing, with a solid frame, engine & transmission, tow package, etc. they will go with a good load & tow rating.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I tow a 5.0 with the 2019 ford ranger Supercab, 6’2” bed. Off road package and heavy duty tow package.
Hi Jesse, thanks for posting this information. I believe you are using an Andersen Ultimate with rails mounted by Trademasters.

Could you update us with
1) the distance from the cab to one half the distance between the rails (or if Gooseneck the center of the Gooseneck mount)?
2) If your half way point is in front, behind or equal to the axle

The reason for my questions, at one time Trademaster was installing behind the axle but others have posted this was no longer the case, I am wondering if this is the case of your installation.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
... at one time Trademaster was installing behind the axle but others have posted this was no longer the case...
I don't know what Trademasters has been doing, or how it might have changed, but it would make sense to install rails or ball-in-bed hitches in the normal location (just ahead of the axle line) for use with a hitch such as the Andersen Ultimate that has a built-in offset, while installing further back for fifth-wheel hitches without an offset. With longer pickup boxes, all installations would likely be in the normal location.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #28

Trailer: NA
Just picked up a new 2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat with locking differential and tow package. I'm convinced it's all the truck I'll ever need. Now I gotta work on the other half of the camping formula. Cheers!
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #29

Anderson hitch in the Ranger

I don’t have the measurements for you at this time but here is a picture of the mount in the the Ranger. The pin adapter on the 5.0 is mounted towards the rear. I chose to go with the safety chain kit when purchasing the Anderson hitch. All clearances are good.
Attached Thumbnails
CE10C433-5F28-4352-B1EE-17D61D4BED85.jpg   02F82615-5168-4BC9-B57A-A77D29C770B2.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
Just picked up a new 2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat with locking differential and tow package. I'm convinced it's all the truck I'll ever need. Now I gotta work on the other half of the camping formula. Cheers!
I’m towing a 5.0 with a 2019 Ranger. Zero problems so far all clearances are good. Handles well. Adequate power. Cruises well at 110 km per hour on the Inland Hwy. Vancouver Island.
Attached Thumbnails
F1A9E69A-F75B-45B7-A475-19617FA2635F.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't know what Trademasters has been doing, or how it might have changed, but it would make sense to install rails or ball-in-bed hitches in the normal location (just ahead of the axle line) for use with a hitch such as the Andersen Ultimate that has a built-in offset, while installing further back for fifth-wheel hitches without an offset. With longer pickup boxes, all installations would likely be in the normal location.
Ah ha, I do see my mistake.
I looked at wheelbase and assumed the longer bed was behind the axle. I was fully aware that is not the case in full size pickups and the Colorado / Canyon, but didn't put it together when questioning the Ranger SuperCab.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I looked at wheelbase and assumed the longer bed was behind the axle. I was fully aware that is not the case in full size pickups and the Colorado / Canyon, but didn't put it together when questioning the Ranger SuperCab.
Good observation
Many people don't realize that for quite a few years, in nearly all pickup trucks the distance from axle to bumper is a constant, with all of the variation (for different box lengths) between the cab and the rear axle; it wasn't always that way. So in trucks with only one wheelbase available (like the current Ranger), every bit of extra cab comes out of the front part of the box. Only Ford can explain why they don't offer a longer-wheelbase version, so the SuperCrew could have a longer box and corresponding longer cab-to-axle spacing; other brands do.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I don’t have the measurements for you at this time but here is a picture of the mount in the the Ranger. The pin adapter on the 5.0 is mounted towards the rear.
It looks like the rails are centred behind the axle line as well, just judging visually in comparison to the wheel wells.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
We got the 2019 Ranger SuperCrew with the locking rear axle to pull our 3,000 lb Scamp (and for potential future Escape). Due to not yet having the 1,000 miles before towing on our Dec TX trip, we didn't get to use it on that trip, but did get to use it on our FL trip in Feb.
It pulled our Scamp effortlessly, and the 10 speed transmission rarely felt a need to downshift like our previous tow vehicles (Dodge Durango V6 and Dodge Dakota V8)
Mileage was not as good as I hoped, but we had pretty stiff headwinds both ways. It was still better than our best Dakota MPG. Worst tank towing was 14.8, best tank solo was 30.4 hand calculated.
Unfortunately our other planned trips this year have all been cancelled so no further MPG tests available.
I suspect it will work well with the Escape 19 we have on order, but since our bed is so short (5.0') I doubt it would work well with the Escape 5.0 unless the pin was moved pretty far behind the axle, which shouldn't be too much of a problem since it allows 750 lbs way back their on the tongue.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sure it downshifted, but with 10 speeds you probably did not feel it, Does the Ranger have a "Tow Mode" for towing?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm sure it downshifted, but with 10 speeds you probably did not feel it, Does the Ranger have a "Tow Mode" for towing?
Yes, it has a tow mode, and you can view what gear you are in too, which is how I could tell it wasn't downshifting. It is very smooth with the 10 speed transmission though.
You can even set your camper length so the blind spot detection looks further back to alert you if any vehicles are in your campers blind spot, although I always depend on a visual check, but the extra alert is nice.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Smile From Trailer Life

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trail...wGuide2020.pdf

It isn't whether a vehicle can or cannot tow. It is what it is officially rated.

Towing above your rated load can cause an insurance company to deny your claim if you have an accident.

Escape 5.0 = 5500#.

RANGER 2.3L I-4 TC 3,500
Ranger 2.3L I-4 TC 7,500 - Towing package required

Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Yes, it has a tow mode, and you can view what gear you are in too, which is how I could tell it wasn't downshifting. It is very smooth with the 10 speed transmission though.
I'm a little puzzled by your statement. The only time that my 2.7/10 speed F150 doesn't down shift is when I'm doing over 65 mph in 10th on the flat. Any other situation and it downshifts as required.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #39

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little puzzled by your statement. The only time that my 2.7/10 speed F150 doesn't down shift is when I'm doing over 65 mph in 10th on the flat. Any other situation and it downshifts as required.

Ron
It does downshift, and it would also activate engine brake if the down slope is steep and long enough. With my trailer connected and truck in trailer mode, the downshift and engine brake happens earlier than without the trailer.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I guess I should have clarified that it doesn't downshift much at all when traveling at 65 MPH on the minor rise and falls from GA to FL. I did find that if I dropped down to 60 or 55 MPH then the RPMs in 10th dropped just enough to tell the transmission that a downshift to 9 or 8 might be better than staying in 10th.
Normally on the same trip made several times with my Durango (8 spd V6) and Dakota (5 spd V8), it downshifted frequently at 65 MPH.