Towing with GMC canyon/Chevy Colorado Gas v6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Towing with GMC canyon/Chevy Colorado Gas v6

I know some are towing with these trucks with the diesel duramax,But i looking for some feedback on the gas 3.6L v6. In my case looks like i could save about 10 grand by going with the gas engine and still have a 7000 lb tow rating. I guess i wondering if this would be a good choice. Anyone with some real world experience?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 21ne Escape
I can’t speak to the gasoline engine, but I just bought a 2021 canyon with the diesel. I was thinking the same thing... save money upfront by getting the gas version. What convinced me to get the diesel was the gas mileage while towing and the engine exhaust brake. I saw a video on TFL trucks that tested the diesel towing on the Ike gauntlet.... you might want to check it out.
With that said, the gas version will be sufficient, just not as good as the diesel.
I’m new to towing a camper trailer and overly safe in general.... just to give you a reference. ��
Finman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I know some are towing with these trucks with the diesel duramax,But i looking for some feedback on the gas 3.6L v6. In my case looks like i could save about 10 grand by going with the gas engine and still have a 7000 lb tow rating. I guess i wondering if this would be a good choice. Anyone with some real world experience?
There’s a couple of owners on the Escape Facebook group with Escape 5.0 + Canyon/Colorado gas and they seem quite content. Might be worth posting the question there.

This configuration is my target as well, which is why I monitor it fairly closely. My main reservation is towing distance with the 80l/21gallon gas tank based on the reported 15mpg usage while towing.

Here’s the FB group I am referring to.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/913917998727810/?ref=group_browse
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
When I was shopping the Colorado, I could configure the truck as I wanted it and the diesel engine added about $3500. I'd be hard pressed to justify $10,000, but I'm also surprised you are getting that big a difference when comparing otherwise similarly equipped trucks.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21C
Can't give you input on the gas engine, but we have been out twice now with the diesel and 21c. Towing in the California mountains averaged 18.4 mpg on one trip and 18.2 mpg on the other. The diesel exhaust brake alone is worth it to me. And as JeffreyG said, the diesel option runs about $3,500.

The other advantage is the rpm range that the diesel operates in. 1500 to 2500 is the usual, compared to much much higher with gas under the same conditions. Makes a difference in comfort, as well as wear on the engine. That's not to say there is anything wrong with going with gas. Fuel is more easily available and you don't have to mess with DEF.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Question Fwiw

we picked up our new 21C last June in Phoenix..towed it home to TN w our 2wd Frontier V6 long bed dbl cab truck [wh was fine for the old Casita].
We found the 260 HP V6 Fronty was underpowered for mountains...4000-4500 RPMs in 2nd gear was disconcerting at best., since TN is half mountainous.

We traded last fall up to a V8 Titan XD 4x4 dbl cab..w about twice the hauling capacity and 2x the room of the Frontier. 400 HP and 7 speeds. Heavy Duty frame and we do not need that heavy WD hitch we used on the Frontier.
IMHO the Frontier wd have been OK IF..IF Nissan had made it w a turbo as optional, but they do not. We get about 3 MPG less mileage, but that has been a good trade off for the room and power. My opinion..towing w under powered TV was no fun.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
We consider our truck the same as a modern midsize. We have a 300hp naturally aspirated 3.7 V6 in a truck that's stock curb weight was 5600lb and a six speed auto.
While we literally just got our Escape 19, I can tell the truck will be tapped out in mountains.
With stock sized tires, or a re gear maybe not, but as it sits I know it's going to rev.
If you don't live where it's mountainous and only occasionally travel thru them it's probably fine. It's just going to rev. The High Value V6 in the GM twins isn't some old fixed cam pushrod dinosaur, it was built to rev and its peak torque is probably right around the 4k mark.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
If you don't live where it's mountainous and only occasionally travel thru them it's probably fine. It's just going to rev. The High Value V6 in the GM twins isn't some old fixed cam pushrod dinosaur, it was built to rev and its peak torque is probably right around the 4k mark.
It's actually the High Feature engine, not the earlier pushrod High Value engine... but I assume that's what was intended. And yes, it needs to run relatively fast for best performance:
  • LFX (2015-2016 Colorado/Canyon): 269 lb⋅ft (365 N⋅m) @ 4000 rpm
  • LGZ (2017-up Colorado/Canyon): 275 lb⋅ft (373 N⋅m) @ 4000 RPM

Power climbs with higher speed and peak power comes at 6800 RPM, but even down at 4000 RPM it's producing over 200 horsepower... which is more than the diesel which is available in the same truck models can produce at any speed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
We consider our truck the same as a modern midsize. We have a 300hp naturally aspirated 3.7 V6 in a truck that's stock curb weight was 5600lb and a six speed auto.
The engine is similar, but that's about half a ton heavier than a midsize truck, which won't help grade climbing performance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
High Feature was what I meant. Got them mixed up. The other was the pushrod motor with cam timing.
Yeah looking at those numbers I wouldn't be surprised to see 3-4k rpm the sweet spot.

The new NA V6 aluminum F150 are more in line with the weight of crew cab Tacoma's and Colorado's, which I believe are pushing 5000lb these days.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Before choosing a engine, consider where your towing and your destination. If your heading to higher elevations you may want a turbo. For every 1000' of elevation you lose 3% Horse Power. So when we went over Loveland Pass in Colorado my 4Runner with 278 HP only had 184 HP and we had it in third gear. The air is a lot thinner up there and I was blown away by the difference.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
we tow our Escape 19 with a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 3.6 V-6 gas engine. We are very happy with it. We live in British Columbia and have towed up the Coquihalla without any issues. Can maintain speed up the long ascent.
We also towed it over the Sierra's where the elevation was very high. We could maintain speed at about 55 mph, but not above that.

Over all I think it is a great TV. I did also consider the diesel, but was a little concerned about the potential for the diesel going to into limp mode when the vehicle was "lugged" over rough roads. I have heard of a few cases where that has happened. We do some back country driving and just didn't want to take the chance..
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
we tow our Escape 19 with a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 3.6 V-6 gas engine. We are very happy with it. We live in British Columbia and have towed up the Coquihalla without any issues. Can maintain speed up the long ascent.
We also towed it over the Sierra's where the elevation was very high. We could maintain speed at about 55 mph, but not above that.

Over all I think it is a great TV. I did also consider the diesel, but was a little concerned about the potential for the diesel going to into limp mode when the vehicle was "lugged" over rough roads. I have heard of a few cases where that has happened. We do some back country driving and just didn't want to take the chance..
Check out this you tube video of a comparison between the Chevy Colarado and GMC Canyon, one is gas the other diesel going up IKE Gauntlet

Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
When I was shopping the Colorado, I could configure the truck as I wanted it and the diesel engine added about $3500. I'd be hard pressed to justify $10,000, but I'm also surprised you are getting that big a difference when comparing otherwise similarly equipped trucks.

In my case Irather have the extended cab, to get the Diesel engine you have to get a higher grade crew cab model. when you combine the upgraded cab and engineit comes out to about $9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Check out this you tube video of a comparison between the Chevy Colarado and GMC Canyon, one is gas the other diesel going up IKE Gauntlet

thanks for posting
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 21C, 2019 Chevy Colorado V6
Tow 17’ Escape w/Colorado gas

I have towed my 17’ Escape with a 2019 Chevy Colorado 3.6 L gas for three years and love it. Plenty of power and overall I get approximately 17 mpg towing. Highway mileage driving without the trailer is about 24 mpg and in town about 21 mpg. Great truck!
NellieFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieFlower View Post
I have towed my 17’ Escape with a 2019 Chevy Colorado 3.6 L gas for three years and love it. Plenty of power and overall I get approximately 17 mpg towing. Highway mileage driving without the trailer is about 24 mpg and in town about 21 mpg. Great truck!
That's about the same mileage I get with my Duramax ZR2. I know the regular narrower version of the truck with the smaller tires gets better mileage, but the ZR2 is definitely a downgrade on MPGs. For anyone reading this don't expect the ZR2 or Bison versions of the truck to give you great fuel economy!
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote