Trailer not level towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #21

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Okay. I'm going to ask the dumb questions here. What is your tow vehicle? What is the tow rating. Age can have a very adverse affect in springs and shocks.

I'm with everyone else here that your rear squat should be no more than an inch and the trailer as close to level as possible.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It is a newer Ford Ranger & has a 7500# tow capacity.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:07 PM   #23
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
I would start over with the Fastway E2 trunnion installation manual and video. While Tammy's Dad installed our hitch, it was still a bit unlevel. As I mentioned we needed a lower shank and had to adjust the number of washers. Took about an hour to reinstall.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Towing with 4WD 2019 Ford Ranger so it’s not a suspension issue. My Fastway is rated for 450 lbs. Tongue Weight and 4500 lbs. Gross Trailer weight. Hitch ball is at correct height. So I don’t know why it doesn’t work. I’ll check with my trailer guy when I get home.
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #25

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
My understanding is that the unloaded ball height should be the same as the trailer hitch (in this case 19”).
Per ETI, the "loaded" top of ball height should be 19" for a 21NE without the body lift option. Add 2 5/8ths for the body lift option.

Appears you need to raise the ball, though I would verify what all else is going on by at least taking measurements at all 4 TV wheel wells when unloaded, hooked up with no WDH bars, and with WDH bars. Once you have the loaded ball at 19" with WDH bars on, you need to make sure your TV front end is back down to allowable per the Ford manual. CAT scale approach is best once you get close........

https://escapetrailer.com/escape-21ne-specifications/

FYI - the unloaded ball height on my F-150 Raptor (soft rear springs thought aftermarket rear suspension mods for better towing made) is 23.5". My E19 has the body lift so I need a 21 5/8ths loaded ball height with WDH bars applied. I do get about 2.5" sag before the WDH bars are applied.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It is a newer Ford Ranger & has a 7500# tow capacity.
What is payload max as shown on the yellow tire loading sticker on your driver's doorframe?

Max tow capacity value is a mythical creature rarely seen in the real world due to payload limitations (trailer tongue weight uses payload).
Old 11-06-2023, 09:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
What is payload max as shown on the yellow tire loading sticker on your driver's doorframe?

Max tow capacity value is a mythical creature rarely seen in the real world due to payload limitations (trailer tongue weight uses payload).

Very true; ♤ 4WD has less payload than the same vehicle with RWD.

For example- my 2019 Expedition XLT RWD payload is 1667 lbs.

John in Santa Cruz-what is yours with 4WD?
Old 11-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Very true; ♤ 4WD has less payload than the same vehicle with RWD.

For example- my 2019 Expedition XLT RWD payload is 1667 lbs.

John in Santa Cruz-what is yours with 4WD?
its 1504 lbs for my Limited Stealth 4x4 standard body (not Max), with the HD tow option. Towing the Escape with its ~ 500 lb tongue weight leaves 1000 lbs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:30 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Towing our new 21NE. Hitch ball was setup at 19” per ETI specs. Using E2 WDH. Top of hitch is at only 16” when hooked up.
Your ball is not high enough to start. You should be at 19" +/- when loaded and WDH bars on. Also it appears based on the 3" drop that you have considerable tongue weight and your WDH is not transferring load properly. The manual and videos will guide you on proper adjustments. It took me awhile to get our aftermarket Equalizer hitch set up properly but the vehicle goes back to near original pitch and trailer is set nearly level.

On edit I see that Fastway recommends the top of ball to be only 0-1" higher than top of coupler with trailer level. I would start with your top of ball at 20" and adjust from there. It may be that your WDH is not applying enough force to bring the rear up. To correct under adjustment you must add more weight distribution force to the hitch by adding spacer washers, and/or raising the L-brackets. If you are maxed out and still not getting satisfactory adjustment it may be that you need a higher rated WDH.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:49 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
My Fastway is rated for 450 lbs. Tongue Weight and 4500 lbs. Gross Trailer weight. Hitch ball is at correct height. So I don’t know why it doesn’t work. I’ll check with my trailer guy when I get home.
That's probably right on the edge for a loaded 21NE. My preference would be for a 600/6000# rated WDH but that's just my opinion. That is what we use on a Gen1 19 and it is perfect.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That's probably right on the edge for a loaded 21NE. My preference would be for a 600/6000# rated WDH but that's just my opinion. That is what we use on a Gen1 19 and it is perfect.
Agreed

My E2 is a 600/6,000# rated for a 2022 E19 and my loaded tongue weight regularly runs over 525# (Sherline weighed)

My 2022 E19 and the current 21NE has a GVWR of #5,000 as well..............
Old 11-06-2023, 03:09 PM   #32
Site Team

ok, I measured the ball on my Expedition 4x4 with and without the E21C.

its about 21" without the trailer, and 19.5" with the trailer (but thats kinda hard to see with the saddle hitch on the Escape). No WDH. My trailer is pretty much empty right now, full water tanks, empty black and grey, and no significant cargo other than the tools and stuff in the forward bin that live there.

factory hitch, and a Curt 45260 long ball mount. I got the long ball mount for my F250 so the tailgate would open when hitched, and it allows me to make sharper turns with the Expedition, so I'm keeping it. The 45260 is rated for 7500 lbs trailer GWR and 750 lb tongue weight. The Expedition is rated for 9200 lbs GWR w/ a WDH, or 6000 lbs without a WDH.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:19 PM   #33

I’m going to raise the brackets and see if it helps at all. Sure don’t look forward to spending money on a new WDH :-(
Old 11-06-2023, 03:31 PM   #34

Quote:
I’m going to raise the brackets and see if it helps at all. Sure don’t look forward to spending money on a new WDH :-(
Meaning the ball mount bracket (up a 2 holes likely?) vs. the trunion bar brackets on the frame of the trailer (WDH)?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:10 AM   #35

Fastway recommends that the hitch ball be placed at the same height as the trailer hitch so I’m reluctant to raise the ball. I raised the L-brackets one hole and did get some improvement. I’ll raise them one more and see what happens. Question: if I need heavier WDH can I just replace the spring bars or do I need an entire new setup?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Fastway recommends that the hitch ball be placed at the same height as the trailer hitch so I’m reluctant to raise the ball. ................
Not following your above statement.........

"same height as the trailer hitch" in what configuration?

What is the hitch ball height unloaded? I'm referring to just the hitch / ball mounted into the receiver in the back of your truck. Likely it needs to be higher than 19" to be able to end up at 19" loaded.

Measure the 4 corners of your TV as mentioned earlier to make sure you are getting the right amount of WD effect. Too much will unload the rear axle. CAT scale for the best observations..........

WD bars - give Fastaway a call, many WD hitches can accept various rated bars, some can't.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Question: if I need heavier WDH can I just replace the spring bars or do I need an entire new setup?
Just replace the bars.

E2 hitches are on Craigslist and buying used bars is much cheaper on Craigslist than buying new bars.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-09-2023, 10:13 AM   #38

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Towing our new 21NE. Hitch ball was setup at 19” per ETI specs. Using E2 WDH. Top of hitch is at only 16” when hooked up. There is probably 40-50 pounds of stuff in the front storage plus two full propane tanks. Nothing under the front dinette. When picking up trailer ETI suggested I might need a heavier WDH. U don’t recall which one I have but what are other people using? Or should I raise the ball height? Thanks
We tow our 2020 19' with a Ford Ranger. I don't use WDH but a 3" drop when hitched sounds pretty high. Have you measured at the wheel wells to see how much the tow vehicle drops at the rear and rises at the front? You might need a combination of WDH and beefier rear suspension/air bags? Our 2019 Ranger only has a 1 3/8" dip on the rear wheel well when hitched up.
Adding a heavier duty WDH might cause more stress to your TV frame and hitch mounting bolts than you want, especially when you cross a dip in the road.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:26 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Fastway recommends that the hitch ball be placed at the same height as the trailer hitch so I’m reluctant to raise the ball. I raised the L-brackets one hole and did get some improvement. I’ll raise them one more and see what happens. Question: if I need heavier WDH can I just replace the spring bars or do I need an entire new setup?
I skimmed through the setup video for that WDH. you adjust the spring bar tension via a washer stack, also by how low or high you put the spring bar brackets
Old 11-09-2023, 12:30 PM   #40

A little recap for me..............

OP's original post stated:

"Hitch ball was setup at 19” per ETI specs" appears to be an unloaded value because:
"Top of hitch is at only 16” when hooked up"

Then, in a later OP post:
"My understanding is that the unloaded ball height should be the same as the trailer hitch (in this case 19”)." No, 19" is loaded ball.

then:
"My Fastway is rated for 450 lbs. Tongue Weight and 4500 lbs." Sounds as if #600 bars might be needed.

IMHO - Appears to be a combination of the unloaded hitch ball being too low to start, and possibly not enough WD force from the lighter rated bars.
Raising the unloaded ball height (on the truck) is the easiest starting point, then see what can be done with the existing WD setup, then maybe #600 bars if needed.

Good luck sir.