Tundra towing 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Tundra towing 5.0

Hi I am picking up a new 5.0 in may and want to add an rv rock guard to the back or our 2018 Tundra 4x4 double cab.
I am curious to know if others with the same tow vehicle know how much the vehicle dropped down after hitching up?
I have installed sumo super springs on mine which really helped on a previous rv i had when running at max gross weight.
They made the ride way more comfortable and roughly halved the amount of factory sag in the suspension.
I would like the guards to be as close to ground level as possible with out dragging to give the most protection to the 5.0 as possible.
thanks
Denis
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Many Questions Too

I haven't towed with a Tundra, though we went and talked to the local Toyota Dealer, yesterday. Its challenging to order a truck that I haven't sat in or driven yet.

Were you able to confirm the height of the top of the box?

We also looked at Chev/GMC 1500 and the one with the HD towing pkg was 57" vs the one with the regular towing pkg at 56".

My Escape info say that 57" is the maximum suggested height.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
We have a 2021 Tundra it may drop 2 with the fifth wheel iattached.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:04 PM   #4

My 2018 tundra 4x4 trd off road package has a height of 54.5 inches from top of bed rail to ground.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
I haven't towed with a Tundra, though we went and talked to the local Toyota Dealer, yesterday. Its challenging to order a truck that I haven't sat in or driven yet.

Were you able to confirm the height of the top of the box?

We also looked at Chev/GMC 1500 and the one with the HD towing pkg was 57" vs the one with the regular towing pkg at 56".

My Escape info say that 57" is the maximum suggested height.
If you get the lift kit, you'll be fine
Old 02-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I use 3M Protection Film. It is applied in the outside of the frame a couple feet up. I have only had minor wee putting in the film, almost undetectable. I have travelled on lots of gravel roads with it too. The best part, no additional efforts when hooking up. Plus, you can't really see it unless you look for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here are my details.
2018 Tundra, Crew Cab, 4x4, Off Road package, 5.7 L V8
Firestone air bags set to 20#'s.
5.0 with High lift trailer

Bed Height with no camper attached, 60"
Bed Height with camper attached, 52 ˝ "

I have a slight inverted V as the image shows. I like the airbags set to 20#'s, so I keep it a little high.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2341.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #8

Hi Uncle Tim,
i am very surprised that the vehicle still settled that low with air bags set to 20lbs.
I guess with the air bags set to 20lbs without the trailer it is approx. 6" higher than stock?
so with the assistance of the sir bags it is only dropping 2" lower than stock height.
I hope my sumo springs have the same overall affect.
I had air bags on a previous vehicle but found them a little temperamental and always had to keep adjusting them.
Tried a set of mid range sumo springs on my last van conversion that was running at max GVWR weight when camping and they worked excellent both loaded and unloaded.
Over all how do you like the Tundra as a tow rig?
thanks for the info
Old 02-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckled62 View Post
Hi Uncle Tim,
i am very surprised that the vehicle still settled that low with air bags set to 20lbs.
I guess with the air bags set to 20lbs without the trailer it is approx. 6" higher than stock?
so with the assistance of the sir bags it is only dropping 2" lower than stock height.
I hope my sumo springs have the same overall affect.
I had air bags on a previous vehicle but found them a little temperamental and always had to keep adjusting them.
Tried a set of mid range sumo springs on my last van conversion that was running at max GVWR weight when camping and they worked excellent both loaded and unloaded.
Over all how do you like the Tundra as a tow rig?
thanks for the info
I am about at max payload, but overall I LOVE IT.

It is nicely matched up with the 5.0. I have not had one problem in over 20,000 miles. And I especially love the V8!
Old 02-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Hi I am picking up a new 5.0 in may and want to add an rv rock guard to the back or our 2018 Tundra 4x4 double cab.
I am curious to know if others with the same tow vehicle know how much the vehicle dropped down after hitching up?
I have installed sumo super springs on mine which really helped on a previous rv i had when running at max gross weight.
They made the ride way more comfortable and roughly halved the amount of factory sag in the suspension.
I would like the guards to be as close to ground level as possible with out dragging to give the most protection to the 5.0 as possible.
thanks
Denis
I have a 2012 Tundra double cab 4x4 4.6 l with an anderson hitch and it might go down 2 in with the stock suspension. We also carry a Honda 3000 is and sometimes 30 gal of water in the front of the bed. No problems here. We have bikes on the back of the trailer and sometimes a small canoe on the roof of the truck. Great tow vehicle. Tows the 5.0 TA no problem even in the mountians.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I am about at max payload, but overall I LOVE IT.

It is nicely matched up with the 5.0. I have not had one problem in over 20,000 miles. And I especially love the V8!
Hi Uncle Tim,
what is our average fuel mpg on flat and level towing?
Glad to hear you love it, i will also be at max but Toyota is such a conservative company they always underrate and over build.
I have worked for Toyota and Lexus on the service side since 1987.
thanks
Old 02-15-2022, 03:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I get 12 MPG from London up to Algonquin Park and back, 2017 Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4 and 2020 Escape 19. I could probably make 450km on a tank of gas but fill at Huntsville before heading into the park.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi Uncle Tim,
what is our average fuel mpg on flat and level towing?
Glad to hear you love it, i will also be at max but Toyota is such a conservative company they always underrate and over build.
I have worked for Toyota and Lexus on the service side since 1987.
thanks
About 14 mpg. It varies. The 5.0 does not make more than 1-2 mph difference. The truck is a pig with gas, no matter what.

On the Eisenhower Tunnel approaches my mileage drops to about 8 mpg.

The very best it ever gets is 17 mpg and that would be at least a slight downhill.

I drive too fast so your results may be better than mine. I cannot keep it down to 65 mph. Can't do it.

As far as payload is concerned. The only time I knew I was overloaded is when we took our two daughters with us to the airport only. About a 15 minute ride. But I could tell I was way over the payload limit. I drove slow for that stretch. Otherwise, no problem. The marriage is a good one.