WDH Cons - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #61

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Read the disclaimers on any installation instructions for air bags. "Do not exceed the GVW of your vehicle"

Or words similar to that.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #62

Trailer: 2001 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are several factors determining the load capacity of an axle. Changing springs in any way (including replacing them with air springs or supplementing them with air springs or rubber blocks or extra leaves or coils on the shocks) does not change the other factors, so it does not increase the axle capacity.

Adding air springs to an existing suspension can substantially improve suspension performance, meaning that the vehicle can handle heavy loads better. That doesn't change the allowable limit of axle load, but it can increase the load at which an operator (driver) is comfortable with the vehicle's behaviour.

Air springs are widely used in medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks, to the point that it is now hard to find a Class 8 highway truck without air suspension... but the same trucks with steel springs would have the same load capacity (just not drive as well, especially when partially loaded).

WD systems don't change axle load capacity, either... they only shift load to other axles.
Ok, so what’s your point? You just restated what I said! Thank you! The only reason Camper sales companies sell them is because it’s a one side fits all. Unlike airbags. They would have to carry a set for every year and every vehicle. The customer hitches up his camper. Notices the drop, then thinks,”my vehicle can’t tow this.” Out comes the salesperson with a WDH add on sale. Charges to have it installed. Increases his commission, and out the door with another camper!
There are thousands of work trailers out there in the industry not using WDH. You should go and tell them not to use airbags and sell them WDHs. Especially if they have an engineering staff. Watch their face when you show it to them! You’d become a millionaire overnight!
Use what you like! If you like a WDH then use it!
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #63

Air Bags are not one size fits all. Talk to a dealer and the first thing you will be asked is what make, model, and year of vehicle do you have.

I have then on my 02 F250 and the first set I was sent didn't fit because they were for a 02 Chevy
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #64

Trailer: 2001 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Read the disclaimers on any installation instructions for air bags. "Do not exceed the GVW of your vehicle"

Or words similar to that.
Why all the negativity on my post? I was just answering the op with my opinion. This is why there are so many lurkers. Like is said, “if you like the WDH then use it.”
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
Ok, so what’s your point? You just restated what I said!
No, I did not. You said that air bags increase capacity, but did not define what you meant by that; I explained that air bags do not increase the allowed load limit (what is usually meant by "capacity") of the axle or suspension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Why all the negativity on my post? I was just answering the op with my opinion. This is why there are so many lurkers. Like is said, “if you like the WDH then use it.”
Opinion is fine, but incorrect statements (such as claiming that air bags change axle load distribution) only cause problems.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #67

Quote:
Air Bags are not one size fits all. Talk to a dealer and the first thing you will be asked is what make, model, and year of vehicle do you have.
I think Marky's comment was that WD systems (not air bags) are "one size fits all", which is almost true.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #68

Quote:
When I am responding to your post I will quote it, as I am now.. My previous post did not quote you. Relax
Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #69

I started this with my 'capacity' observation. This place is fun!
Old 09-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Another thing a forgot to mention is if anything happens to me, which I hope never does, my wife will be able to hitch the camper inflate the bags and drive us home. She’s 5 ft tall, retired, and I couldn’t imagine her putting in a 100 pound hitch and reaching under the hitch to snap in the solid steel spring bars!
Where do you get the 100 lb. weight from? Mine weighed 70 lb. until I put it on a diet and now it weighs 55 lb. And it's never lifted up as a complete unit but 3 individual pieces.

My wife's no giant either. One day when I was slapping on the WDH she said, whoa up, show me how to do it. Being a women doesn't preclude using a WDH.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Where do you get the 100 lb. weight from? Mine weighed 70 lb. until I put it on a diet and now it weighs 55 lb. And it's never lifted up as a complete unit but 3 individual pieces.

My wife's no giant either. One day when I was slapping on the WDH she said, whoa up, show me how to do it. Being a women doesn't preclude using a WDH.

Ron
My Equal-I-Zer with bars got to weigh close to 100lb. That sucker is heavy!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #72

Is that a "feels like it weighs a 100 lb." or a measured on a scale 100 lb. ?

Ron
Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #73

Trailer: ?
I tow with an '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk. Factory tow package, air suspension leveling, electronic sway control. 6,200# tow capacity. Standard V-6.

I don't use a WDH of any type. The Owners Manual recommends a WDH for trailers 5,000# or more. That's not me. No E21 should be over 5,000#. No trailer control issues over the mountains, trucks, buses, etc. I drive at 60mph towing because that's a speed I'm comfortable with.

Use this adjustable ball hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...w/MT70380.html

When I first loaded the Jeep and trailer I let the Jeep level itself out and then adjusted the height of the ball so the trailer was also level. Took a few tries but it's set now.

Use the Shurline 1,000# tongue weight scale. My goal is between 450# and 475# and never over 500#

Good TV. Tows well and suits our off-road driving adventures as well.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #74

Quote:
Is that a "feels like it weighs a 100 lb." or a measured on a scale 100 lb. ?

Ron
I confess, Feels like 100lb. I have 50 lb weights that are to heavy for me to do anything useful with anymore unless I use both arms. That Equal-I-Zer head is easily heaver than those weights.
The arms got to be at least 20 lb(each).

I'll weight the whole works tomorrow and see what it is. I bet I'm not far wrong.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #75

You're on. How much is the bet?

I couldn't resist weighing the complete package, especially since I just fabricated my new stinger and had already recently weighed them. I knew that there was no way in the world that the two spring bars could make the weight total anywhere near 100 lbs.

My spring bars are 1 3/8" round tapering to flat bars and weight about 12 lbs. each.

My stinger and ball is about 30 lb. and the factory one was about 45 lb. making it the heaviest component and if was used would make an all up weight of about 70 lbs. That's what my shipping label also said. With my homemade stinger it's about 55 lbs. total. Not feather light, still a chunk of metal, but still within the ability of a lot of folks to put in place.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0036_resize.JPG   IMGP0037_resize.JPG  
Old 09-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #76

Quote:
You're on. How much is the bet?

I couldn't resist weighing the complete package, especially since I just fabricated my new stinger and had already recently weighed them. I knew that there was no way in the world that the two spring bars could make the weight total anywhere near 100 lbs.

My spring bars are 1 3/8" round tapering to flat bars and weight about 12 lbs. each.

My stinger and ball is about 30 lb. and the factory one was about 45 lb. making it the heaviest component and if was used would make an all up weight of about 70 lbs. That's what my shipping label also said. With my homemade stinger it's about 55 lbs. total. Not feather light, still a chunk of metal, but still within the ability of a lot of folks to put in place.

Ron
My religion (south Texas fanatic) forbids gambling. Cheating is permitted tho, so I may put my foot on the scale
Old 09-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #77

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:

Ron
Gotta say, Ron, seeing what you fabricated, and then hefting the components of the new Husky WDH I got for my 1st Escape (picking up next month), I wish I could hire you to make ME a lighter 'stinger'! Yikes, what a solid (read: heavy!) contraption.

Hoping I can get comfortable hitching/unhitching it, or I might just never get in the habit. (WDH may be a bit of overkill - TV is Tundra 5.6L V8, trailer is 17B - I figured they were a safety measure I should adopt, given the new, large-ish trailer [for me], aging reflexes, and lots of road time, in the upcoming years...)

Great work on that part you put together, anyway - clever way to lighten the load, and nice workmanship.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Pro Series WDH weighs in at 64 lbs.
Searching for that info in old posts, I came across a fun discussion from the past.
Enjoy:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...ight-2061.html
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Some think air bags also increase load carrying capacity, Not so!

Quote:
It sure does! People in the Industry use it all the time!

Having been in the trucking industry for almost 40 years I can tell you, air bags did not increase our load carrying capacity! The best thing about air bags from a drivers perspective was the improved ride.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My Pro Series WDH weighs in at 64 lbs.
That's about right. Those ones had different and smaller ends on the spring bars. My version has fatter round solid ends and they're likely two or three pounds heavier. I like the round ends that insert in a tube with a grease fitting because the grease is internal, more effective because of more surface area and stays cleaner.

I found that I was holding the stinger with two hands, kind of bending down etc. to insert it in the receiver. I found a simple rope handle made using it much easier. I can pick it up with one hand, walk over to the receiver and slide it in without bending down etc. The handle stays on full time.

My new one doesn't balance as well as this one so I'll be welding on a couple of eyes so that I can use the same handle again. Does make it much easier to handle.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.JPG  

Tags
gvw, tow vehicle, wdh