WDH Cons - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Clever. I generally grab it by the ball, getting grease all over my hands, even though my plan was to pick it up otherwise. I place it on the ground leaning against the receiver and lift it up by the and slide it into the receiver.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
FWIW. When we got our Tacoma and Casita 16, the Tacoma was a TRD OffRoad, which has tall soft suspension for better offroading. The Casita 16 is a bit nose light, and this combination had a hellacious case of hte 'dolphins', go over a dip or bump and you almost got seasick in the front seats... So we got a light weight WDH, I carefully set it up, measuring bumper height before and after hitching, and adjusted the WDH so it was almost the same. This vastly improved the ride. Then, on a long road trip we had both my astronomy gear AND all our music festival and camping stuff in the back of the truck, and the tacoma felt very tail-heavy, so I got airbags to compesate for the load in the truck, this worked great. I'd level the loaded truck with the airbags before hitching, then let the WDH take up the trailer sag..

so, next time I took a relatively short run w/ the casita, I left off the WDH, and just used the airbags, pumping them up to about 40 PSI to handle both the truck load and the trailer weight. The ride was nearly as smooth as with the WDH and I didn't have to deal with duck waddling the heavy WDH on/off the truck, so I never used the WDH again.

I didn't mind the extra hitch step of connecting or disconnecting the WDH chains, but I *did* hate how heavy it was to mount/dismount from the truck, plus how greasy it was after greasing its bar pivots.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #83

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I didn't mind the extra hitch step of connecting or disconnecting the WDH chains, but I *did* hate how heavy it was to mount/dismount from the truck, plus how greasy it was after greasing its bar pivots.
Ok, you savvy guys - I need your opinions, honest and blunt. Pretend I'm your sister or something, tell it like it is:

Never used a WDH before. I'm prepared to use Husky WDH on my Tundra, to pull 17B I'm picking up at ETI next month.
Given what I've seen here, though - now thinking I'll just use standard hitch for initial (x-c) trip, as maybe I don't need WDH. If rig rides fine on those interstate miles, then I'm good to go. If not, then use WDH thereafter.

Asking if it seems "safe enough" for me to do it this way? Heaviest I've pulled with this rig is a loaded 2-horse trailer, probably around 3,000- 3,500 lbs. Haven't done much road time pulling, but haven't had a problem at all, with sway/"issues". Very used to pulling smaller trailers/loads.

If I don't use WDH on this trip, I'd return it to Amazon; then re-order if end up needing it.

What do you think?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #84

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I found a simple rope handle made using it much easier. I can pick it up with one hand, walk over to the receiver and slide it in without bending down etc. The handle stays on full time.

Ron
Great idea Ron.
This is why I at least read thru all of the responses to a post.
It can be a heavy slog with all of the off topics and natter but like this time, sometimes a jewel pops out.
I'm going to copy Rons idea, Thanks Dude!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #85

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Towing a 21 with a Tacoma no WDH

Towed a 19 Escape with a Tacoma for 8 years and 50,000 miles without a WDH over many mountains and valleys. Always kept speed around 60mph...no problems. Last year my new 21 Escape was towed 9000 miles with success. However, I did install Firestone airbags for the Tacoma when I bought the 19. Of course, there are many who insist that you must have a WDH on a midsize truck and others who insist you must have a full size truck to tow successfully. That simply is not true..
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #86

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
to pull 17B I'm picking up at ETI next month.
Given what I've seen here, though - now thinking I'll just use standard hitch for initial (x-c) trip, as maybe I don't need WDH.

Asking if it seems "safe enough" for me to do it this way? Heaviest I've pulled with this rig is a loaded 2-horse trailer, probably around 3,000- 3,500 lbs.

What do you think?
I sold my Casita 17' ID Deluxe to a guy from Minnesota driving a 4 or 5 year old Tundra.

The Casita dry weight of 2,480# is similar to the Escape dry weight of 2,540#. + options selected, of course. Plus my Casita had a variety of camping stuff inside that was part of the deal. The 17B is probably 2-300# heavier than the Casita.

He towed the Casita from CO to Minnesota. After he became accustomed to the trailer, he said that he towed at highway speeds. We kept in touch.
He stated that he didn't have the slightest problems of trailer control.

When we attached the Casita to his truck, I don't think the rear of his truck dropped by an inch.

Others will, of course, have drastically different opinions, but this is the opinion of one Tundra/Casita driver as passed on to me.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
When we attached the Casita to his truck, I don't think the rear of his truck dropped by an inch.
Helpful, thank you!
Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Clever. I generally grab it by the ball, getting grease all over my hands, even though my plan was to pick it up otherwise. I place it on the ground leaning against the receiver and lift it up by the and slide it into the receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Great idea Ron.
This is why I at least read thru all of the responses to a post.
It can be a heavy slog with all of the off topics and natter but like this time, sometimes a jewel pops out.
I'm going to copy Rons idea, Thanks Dude!
The idea part wasn't mine. I saw an ad for some sort of handle made for picking the stinger and ball platform up. They were two negatives; one they wanted money for it and two, it didn't stay in place. One more loose piece of equipment to dig out and use.

So I tried the simple approach with a rope and handle, it worked fine. Always there ready to use. Makes me much more likely to remove the stinger in a campground even if I'm only there a short time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Ok, you savvy guys - I need your opinions, honest and blunt. Pretend I'm your sister or something, tell it like it is:

Never used a WDH before. I'm prepared to use Husky WDH on my Tundra, to pull 17B I'm picking up at ETI next month.
Given what I've seen here, though - now thinking I'll just use standard hitch for initial (x-c) trip, as maybe I don't need WDH. If rig rides fine on those interstate miles, then I'm good to go. If not, then use WDH thereafter.

Asking if it seems "safe enough" for me to do it this way? Heaviest I've pulled with this rig is a loaded 2-horse trailer, probably around 3,000- 3,500 lbs. Haven't done much road time pulling, but haven't had a problem at all, with sway/"issues". Very used to pulling smaller trailers/loads.

If I don't use WDH on this trip, I'd return it to Amazon; then re-order if end up needing it.

What do you think?
I used a medium size SUV when we had our 15B, no WDH and no problem towing, your truck is way more robust than the SUV I had at the time. With a hitch weight of under 250 adding another 50 or more seems a bit counter productive.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #90

Quote:

What do you think?
I'm wondering how much the tongue weight of the horse trailer was and how much it moved the rear of your tug downwards.

Maybe having a couple of friends stand on the back bumper to see how many inches it drops down. It really does depend on how stiff the springs are and whether the headlights are pointing skyward.

Ron
Old 09-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #91

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Talking

Quote:
I'm wondering how much the tongue weight of the horse trailer was and how much it moved the rear of your tug downwards.

Maybe having a couple of friends stand on the back bumper to see how many inches it drops down. It really does depend on how stiff the springs are and whether the headlights are pointing skyward.

Ron
Just remember- if you ask them to state their weight make sure you use friends you don't need to keep!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Consumption of beer is compensated by a reduction of water in the fresh water tank ( which is aft of the axle ) and filling of the black tank ( which is under the forward bench ).

Cans are compact, taking up less space in the fridge.
Blasphemy! Beer is meant to be consumed from a long neck bottle.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I used a medium size SUV when we had our 15B, no WDH and no problem towing, your truck is way more robust than the SUV I had at the time. With a hitch weight of under 250 adding another 50 or more seems a bit counter productive.
Tending to agree with you. Thanks for input!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #94
Site Team

3000-3500 lbs for 2 horsies + trailer? musta been small horses! I'd guestimate that at 5000 lbs, unless its a particularly light weight all-aluminum trailer, and I assume horses are 2000 lbs each.

anyways, you'll be FINE pulling most any fiberglass up to an escape 21 with a Tundra as long as it has the factory trailer package, without messing with a WDH. if it has the TRD Offroad package, it might be a bit soft in the back, and the result will be a 'pitchy' or 'porpoising' ride up front when you hit dips or bumps such as going over a railroad crossing, either a WDH or a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags will fix that right up.

ask ETI what the hitch height should be, park your truck on level flat spot, measure from the ground to the top of the reciever on your truck, subtract an inch or so for your suspension sag, and the difference would be the optimal drop for the tow bar. Like, my F250, the top of the inside of the reciever tube is about 19.75", and I doubt it drops more than 3/4" so lets call it 19" loaded, my trailer hitch is 16-17" high (measured to the BOTTOM of the cup)... so I use a 2" drop tow bar, like this...

Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #95

Quote:
Still have the horse trailer (just hooked it up to 7-pin connector to test it!). Will hook it up Sunday, see what happens.

Quote:
Ron
Good point - seems like a pretty stiff rig, but then, I'm a gal and it's a fullsize pick-up, so it looks pretty substantial to me. Love the rig, it drives like a dream --
Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #96

Quote:
Still have the horse trailer (just hooked it up to 7-pin connector to test it!). Will hook it up Sunday, see what happens.

With two horses in it?

Ron
Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #97

Quote:
I assume horses are 2000 lbs each
Horses weigh about 800 lbs each. Not really sure of actual pull weight, didn't want to make it sound like I'd pulled a max load; maybe it was up around 4000 lbs, loaded.

Quote:
you'll be FINE pulling most any fiberglass up to an escape 21 with a Tundra as long as it has the factory trailer package. If it has the TRD Offroad package, it might be a bit soft in the back, and the result will be a 'pitchy' or 'porpoising' ride up front when you hit dips or bumps such as going over a railroad crossing, either a WDH or a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags will fix that right up.
Not the Offroad package. Good to know that WDH or airbags would address that sort of thing.

Quote:
ask ETI what the hitch height should be, park your truck on level flat spot, measure from the ground to the top of the receiver on your truck, subtract an inch or so for your suspension sag, and the difference would be the optimal drop for the tow bar. Like, my F250, the top of the inside of the receiver tube is about 19.75", and I doubt it drops more than 3/4" so lets call it 19" loaded, my trailer hitch is 16-17" high (measured to the BOTTOM of the cup)... so I use a 2" drop tow bar
Perfect, thanks for detailed description. Will give ETI a call and do the measuring this weekend.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #98

Trailer: ?
Hello Mimi.

And if you're not certain about how much the rear of the truck might drop as the tongue weight is applied, and if towing the trailer level as you head home is important.
An adjustable hitch like this may be a solution.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...w/MT70380.html

Upon pickup, ETI can adjust the ball height for you.

Plus an adjustable hitch might make it easier to tow your horse and Escape trailers by simply moving the ball up or down.

Enjoy.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Horses weigh about 800 lbs each. Not really sure of actual pull weight, didn't want to make it sound like I'd pulled a max load; maybe it was up around 4000 lbs, loaded..
ah, had to google it, 2000 lbs+ is a big draft horse... I know most of my horsie friends use F250's or beefier to haul dual horse trailers.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Hello Mimi.

And if you're not certain about how much the rear of the truck might drop as the tongue weight is applied, and if towing the trailer level as you head home is important. Upon pickup, ETI can adjust the ball height for you.
An adjustable hitch like this may be a solution.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...w/MT70380.html

Plus an adjustable hitch might make it easier to tow your horse and Escape trailers by simply moving the ball up or down.
IMHO, it's easier to get two tow bars for the two trailers, if they are enough different to matter.

Tags
gvw, tow vehicle, wdh