What’s the best truck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2023, 12:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What’s the best truck

I just purchase a used 2014 Escape 5.0TA. The previous owner said his F-150 V8 flex fuel pulled it with no problem. I’m considering a 2005 Toyota Tundra with close to 238k miles and the following: tow package 4.7 V8, long bed. Does this sound like one that would get me safely from Washington state, far north, to Austin, Texas?
shlm2umac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 E19
I can't speak to towing a 5.0 but my 2004 Tundra pulled my E19 effortlessly.
That said, there's probably quite a difference in towing the 5th wheel.
My '04 was an access cab, V8, 4WD and if I recall had a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs. I had it 17 years, put 360,000 km on and was hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Care of the vehicle determines what will hold up and won’t. I have a ‘98 C2500 I use more than anything. I also own other vehicles. Age and miles can be an indicator, and at some point stuff will break, but vehicle care is a better determining factor.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:20 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlm2umac View Post
I just purchase a used 2014 Escape 5.0TA. The previous owner said his F-150 V8 flex fuel pulled it with no problem. I’m considering a 2005 Toyota Tundra with close to 238k miles and the following: tow package 4.7 V8, long bed. Does this sound like one that would get me safely from Washington state, far north, to Austin, Texas?
This is definitely a personal opinion but, if I had owned the truck for 238k miles I'd have no problem pulling the 5.0, however I'd never buy someone elses used truck with 238k miles, unless I knew the person, Toyota or not.

Terry's son has a 2004 (?) Tundra that he purchased with 20,000 miles on it, sat in the same heated heated garage since purchase, is immaculately cleaned, not a spot of rust, and it gets light use every month. It now has around 120,000 miles and I'd have no problem with the reliability, but it's old school with only cruise control and air conditioning.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Anticipate that you will need to have repairs made periodically, ( transmissions, brakes, engines, u joints, etc) in the long run will be less expensive then buying new.

What causes a vehicle to be retired is when metal fatigue starts to cause creaks and loss of shape. A arms can be replaced but when the spot where they connect to the frame is warn and out of shape it’s a more difficult repair. My 2 cents.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Not sure what the pin weight of the 2014 5 is, but you may run into payload limitations with that truck. Check the door sticker for its payload.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
The 4.7L engine is just about bulletproof so long as the timing chain is changed every 90k miles. I have the same engine in my 2008 Lexus GX470, currently at 215k miles on the odometer, and I hope and expect to get another couple hundred thousand out of the vehicle (barring accidents). The GX470 still feels solid and almost like new, unlike our 2000 Mercury Mountaineer which (with about the same miles) squeaks and rattles like a jalopy.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
What's the best truck?

Quote:
Hi:shlm2umac... This is a loaded ?. Everyone has their own opinion. In my case it's what you have on hand or can afford to get!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm very pleased with my Dodge Ram 1500 towing...
Old 05-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi:shlm2umac... This is a loaded ?. Everyone has their own opinion. In my case it's what you have on hand or can afford to get!!! Alf
Haha, yeah with a thread title like this, get ready for a million comments...we love debating our trucks don't we?

If I were you I'd separate it into 2 questions:

1) will it tow the 5.0 capably? No doubt, the answer to this one for ANY Tundra is yes.

2) will it get you where you need to go affordably, without major issues or breaking down? For a non-diesel with that many miles that someone else has owned for that long...definitely some doubt IMHO.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:07 AM   #11

2010 Toyota Tundra V8 5.7L 2WD

I'm now considering a 2010 Toyota Tundra with a V8 5.7L but 2WD and 106,500 miles. I'm taking my 5.0 TA to Texas (2200 miles). I've read that mpg is terrible, but I only have to get it there and then I'll only use the truck for pulling to dump the tanks. My main concern is whether the Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch I got with the rig will work on that truck so I don't have to go out and buy another hitch, and how to understand the compatibility guidelines given to me by Escape. [56" maximum bedrail and tailgate height for standard trailer axles or 58" maximum bedrail height for high-lift axles]?? Can someone help with this question. I've been looking for a while for the correct truck and Escape only confirms that the Ford-F150 will do the job.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... My main concern is whether the Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch I got with the rig will work on that truck so I don't have to go out and buy another hitch ....
Go to etrailer.com, enter all of the info for the Tundra (you'll need bed length, etc), and select 5th wheel hitch.

You'll find info on compatible hitches (perhaps the one you have among them), hitch rail mounting kits for the vehicle, and / or call etrailer for technical help selecting the rails needed to install the hitch you have in that truck, perhaps this ...

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...P50084-58.html

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Ree...P50084-58.aspx

Or this ...

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...16468-204.html

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Cur...16468-204.aspx

Good Luck.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I'm now considering a 2010 Toyota Tundra with a V8 5.7L but 2WD and 106,500 miles. I'm taking my 5.0 TA to Texas (2200 miles). I've read that mpg is terrible, but I only have to get it there and then I'll only use the truck for pulling to dump the tanks. My main concern is whether the Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch I got with the rig will work on that truck so I don't have to go out and buy another hitch, and how to understand the compatibility guidelines given to me by Escape. [56" maximum bedrail and tailgate height for standard trailer axles or 58" maximum bedrail height for high-lift axles]?? Can someone help with this question. I've been looking for a while for the correct truck and Escape only confirms that the Ford-F150 will do the job.
Hi: shlm2umac... IMHO the words "Trailer towing" and "Fuel economy" should not appear in the same paragraph.
We have had the same 5th. wh. hitch in a GMC short box, a Nissan Frontier long bed, and a Ram EcoDiesel short box. It's important to know a great RV hitch installer too!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: shlm2umac... IMHO the words "Trailer towing" and "Fuel economy" should not appear in the same paragraph.
We have had the same 5th. wh. hitch in a GMC short box, a Nissan Frontier long bed, and a Ram EcoDiesel short box. It's important to know a great RV hitch installer too!!! Alf
Agreed on the importance of the hitch installer, a great one can make all the difference on making a rig setup work for you. I'd recommend finding a few in the area near where you'll be picking it up, and calling them. I bought my 5.0 used down in the L.A. area, and needed to make my existing truck work with the hitch being included in the sale, and I needed it done over the weekend. I got lots of no's until I found a great hitch shop that said yes, and made it happen, thus helping me make the purchase and starting my Escape journey...

But I respectfully disagree on the fuel economy comment...maybe that's true for most rigs, but my Silverado "Baby Duramax" that gives me 18-22 mpg while towing, begs to differ!
Old 05-29-2023, 10:31 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Nothing like a post with the title "What's the best truck" to get those creative juices flowing When we were faced with the same decision for our 5.0 TV, there was no question in our mind it would be a Ford F150 with the bigger ecoboost engine despite both of us being Toyota and Nissan fans. In my totally unscientific observations at campgrounds and RV forums, the F150 seems to be the popular choice.

FWIW, my wife had a T100 that was trouble free for 300K miles, however it was never used as a TV. She upgraded to a 5.7L Tundra but sold it because she didn't own the gas station needed for the thirsty engine.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I previously owned a 2007 Tundra the body is a close match to my 2021. I use the Andersen hitch which measures 13.5” to the top of the ball mount. That’s height is with it setting on top of my rail kit.
As others have said, find the right installer…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Agreed on the importance of the hitch installer, a great one can make all the difference on making a rig setup work for you. I'd recommend finding a few in the area near where you'll be picking it up, and calling them. I bought my 5.0 used down in the L.A. area, and needed to make my existing truck work with the hitch being included in the sale, and I needed it done over the weekend. I got lots of no's until I found a great hitch shop that said yes, and made it happen, thus helping me make the purchase and starting my Escape journey...

But I respectfully disagree on the fuel economy comment...maybe that's true for most rigs, but my Silverado "Baby Duramax" that gives me 18-22 mpg while towing, begs to differ!
I’m with you on that… my diesel Colorado averaged over 19 mpg on my last trip, towing my 19 up and down mountain grades and against strong headwinds. I’m in no mood to replace it, mostly because GM stopped putting the diesel in their Colorado/Canyon twins, replacing it with a turbo charged 4 cylinder gasser with a combined mpg that’s the same or worse than my diesel gets towing …. Not going there.

That said, when the day comes when I am in the mood to replace it, I’ll be looking hard at the Silverado diesel. I may have to win the lottery to afford one, but I just can’t stomach the low mpg most people get towing.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Like TahoeJoe and salmo7000 said, a small diesel gives great fuel economy.

I averaged almost 20mpg with a 2.8l baby duramax in a long bed GMC canyon going across the country ( towing a 5.0 ).

It’s too bad many of the small diesel trucks are being phased out.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
The older Tundra may present payload concerns. My brother has the same model truck and decided he shouldn't pull a fifth wheel.

I started towing with a 2010 Tundra CrewMax as my tow vehicle and couldn't have been happier. I bought the 2015 5.0TA from Reace and Tammy. Reace assured me the 5'6" shortbox Tundra was fine to mount the hitch and tow the trailer. I had the hitch shop in Chilliwack instal the Reese hitch to Escape's specifications and it worked perfectly.

My only problem came when that truck was totalled one winter and I had to get the hitch re-installed in a 2013 Tundra CrewMax. Most shops around here would not mount the hitch for me because of the short box. There are no instructions from Reese on mounting in a short box Tundra. I finally found a shop that would do a custom instal. I had saved all the measurements of where the hitch was mounted in the old truck so they mounted it to the measurements I provided. It is just like in the 2010 Tundra of course because it's the same layout and again works perfectly. Can I jackknife the trailer? Admittedly no, but I find for my purposes there is no need to. I have made some pretty sharp turns with no cab/trailer contact issues whatsoever.

You don't say the box length of your Tundra. If it's the 5'6" model I can provide my measurements for you if you'd like. If it's the access cab with longer box then all the instal measurements can be found on the Reese website.

If I need another tow vehicle in the future I think I would get the Tundra access cab with the longer box for ease of installing the hitch. And no, you don't buy a Tundra for the mileage, you buy it cuz it's a Toyota.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:21 AM   #20

10,500 lbs

Hi, I finally drove the 2010 Toyota Tundra V8, 5.7L, RWD with 6.5 box. It seemed strong, and everywhere I read it says it can tow upwards of 10,500 lbs. I called Toyota and a salesman says he has the same engine and is towing a 5th wheel trailer. I need to stop over and talk to him face to face, because now I’m worried. I’m not sure yet which route I’m taking to Texas, but if it’s through mountains, I don’t want to be left in the dust so to speak, or worse, it running into me while I’m slowing down.

I am curious about the comment made regarding “jackknifing.” How can I possibly avoid that altogether? Again, I’m female (which in my case is very relevant) and have zero experience. This trip is not going to be for fun. I’m moving to Texas to be closed to my 93-year old Dad who is beginning to forget. And I do not have the funds to pay someone to drive it for me. And I want to take it myself.

Thanks, forum people! You’re awesome!!