Will My Liftgate Clear Power Jack? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Will My Liftgate Clear Power Jack?

We have a 2013 Ford Expedition EL. When we were contemplating buying an inTech Sol Horizon, we noticed that our liftgate grazed the power jack when the trailer was hitched (I had been concerned about the big forward-slanting window, but the hatch cleared that fine). The solution for the jack would have been either a manual jack, or a longer ball-mount, or both.

Now we have a deal pending for an Escape 21c, I'm wondering if this could be a problem. We can't check it until next month, so I'm curious to know whether others here with big SUVs like mine have had a problem with their liftgate contacting the jack (power or manual).

The E21 we're getting has a Fastway E2 hitch, which I think has its own ball mount, so a longer one may not be an option.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?
Old 03-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hi MrLynn, We have a 2017 Ford Expedition and tow a 21c that has a manual jack. Plenty of clearance with the lift gate and the jack. (We have an Andersen WDH.) If your pending 21C comes with a power jack, there may be the possibility of rotating the power jack, 90 degrees to one side. This may give you more lift gate clearance, if needed. Good luck! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
This is a commonly asked question. The base of the tongue jack has three UN-EQUALLY spaced holes, you cannot turn it using the mounting holes. Some, a few electric jacks have an extra set of holes that attach the head and if you disassemble it you may find that you can reassemble the head on the column sideways......... but most are not like that.

Second pic is of my tailgate clearing the tongue jack, which it would not with the Equal-i-zer hitch.

The shank on the hitch is a separate part from the hitch head itself. The critical distance is from the center of the pin hole to the center of the vertical row of holes mounting the hitch head. Some are 8 inch, some are nine inch, you can also buy them that are 12 inch. The vertical part the head mounts on an industry "standard" 2 inch square bar with 3/4 holes spaced 1¼ inch center to center. You generally interchange shanks from one brand to another.

I had an Equal-i-zer hitch that I used with a Thor trailer. I had read about how good they were, bought a nice one used, and discovered the hitch was a real PITA to adjust and I basically hated it. I gave it away with the trailer when I sold it. I bought and installed the Blue Ox (on a Bigfoot which is a peculiar installation as you have to cut a fiberglass fairing to fit anything), and found that while the tailgate would not clear with the Equal-i-zer it did clear with the Blue Ox as the BO shank is one inch longer than the Equal-i-zer shank.

Looking at the Fastway web site the Replacement Parts page list shanks for the round bar head and the trunnion bar head, yet the shanks are for all intents and purposes, the same shanks. The difference in the drop and rise dimensions is due to the difference in the way the hitch heads are made (relationship of the mount holes to the height of the ball.) Rather than have one listing with two columns showing the drop and rise of the BALL for a particular hitch head, they make it look as if the shanks are different which they are NOT.

I'm going to seriously suggest a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, it really is a better hitch.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
BXW4000_BlueOx_WeightDistributionShank7Hole9Inch_800x600.jpg   Tailgate clears tongue jack.jpg   Blue Ox hitch full view LH side.jpg  
Old 03-25-2022, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 21
If your power jack does not have the hole in the correct spacing to turn the jack side ways, you can drill and tap the necessary hole needed as a few here have just a thought
Old 03-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #5

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	61598
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3729.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	61599
The L shaped part that goes into your SUV's receiver can be replaced, which moves the hitch ball farther away from the tailgate. However the farther you place the weight of the Escape from the trucks rear axle the more leverage the weight places on the tow vehicle.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Many options here!
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...caAmOWEALw_wcB
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember the longer the shank, the more reduction in capacity.....
Old 03-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Well, good news maybe. A little conversation tells me the height of the jack, and the distance of the top of the jack from the ball, and knowing the distance from the ball to the hitch pin, I can put up a stick in about the right place, and operate the power hatch. It clears! So unless we've mis-measured, we should be fine.

Thanks for all the discussion.