Alberta and BC this summer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Question Alberta and BC this summer?

Hello Canadian Escapers! Our trip last year in our new 5.0 from Austin to Alberta and BC was terminated by Covid. This year we're both vaccinated, ready to try again and actually managed to reserve two weeks in July in Banff, Jasper, and Kootenay NP! We're excited about finally making the trip but uncertain about entry without quarantine because the pandemic has hit Canada so much harder. Both of us are dual citizens although we live in Texas. (It's not easy sometimes!) I hope things will be more normal by mid-July.

Have any thoughts on RVing this summer in Western Canada? I also have to reserve about 10 days in 2-3 southern BC campgrounds between the Kootenays and Kelowna before we head back down to Farragut SP in Idaho Aug. 10. We'd like to visit the Okanogan Valley but aren't too keen on summertime crowds. Your suggestions are most welcome for a couple of unique, offbeat, interesting areas where we might stand a chance of getting a reservation? Thanks for your help in advance!
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
Hello Canadian Escapers! Our trip last year in our new 5.0 from Austin to Alberta and BC was terminated by Covid. This year we're both vaccinated, ready to try again and actually managed to reserve two weeks in July in Banff, Jasper, and Kootenay NP! We're excited about finally making the trip but uncertain about entry without quarantine because the pandemic has hit Canada so much harder. Both of us are dual citizens although we live in Texas. (It's not easy sometimes!) I hope things will be more normal by mid-July.

Have any thoughts on RVing this summer in Western Canada? I also have to reserve about 10 days in 2-3 southern BC campgrounds between the Kootenays and Kelowna before we head back down to Farragut SP in Idaho Aug. 10. We'd like to visit the Okanogan Valley but aren't too keen on summertime crowds. Your suggestions are most welcome for a couple of unique, offbeat, interesting areas where we might stand a chance of getting a reservation? Thanks for your help in advance!
The border isn't actually open yet we've had no indication that it will be open. BCers are not even free to travel out of their own health regions at this point, possibly BCers may travel provincially mid June.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't anticipate going anywhere. Tremendous pressure on RV sites.
I'll start checking park reservations in August for September.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
Right now, as a non-resident, you can't book a BC Parks campsite until July 8th at the earliest. https://www.discovercamping.ca/bcres...ca%2Fbccweb%2F After that, it will be extremely difficult for anyone, including BC'ers to get a site. Gonna be mobbed, I think. Looks like your best bet will be private campground. For the S. Okanagan around Osoyoos, you might want to try Nk'Mip (pronounced Inkameep) which is where Escape held its annual rally up until Covid struck. https://campingosoyoos.com/

Lawrence
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Thanks Lawrence. I didn’t know the regs for booking in BC.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ft
I just watched our local evening news. Our Premier was interviewed and he indicated he was not going to be asking the Prime Minister to open the US/Canada border any time soon. His concern was the slowing uptake of Vaccinations in the USA. A few weeks ago the Prime Minister indicated he wanted Canada to be 75% vaccinated before the border was open.
At this point getting into Canada this summer is questionable. If they do open the border before the fall BC's provincial parks are being booked as soon as new dates become available (2 month moving window). Everyone in BC is being told to holiday close to home and it appears that is what is happening.
Hope things do get back to normal soon but I am not counting on any travel outside of BC until 2022.
Take care... glad you are vaccinated that might become a requirement to cross the border.
RTRadio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta, british columbia, canada, icefields pkwy