Texas to Alaska in 2023 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Texas to Alaska in 2023

My brother and I are in the initial planning stages of a trip from Texas to Alaska in the summer of 2023. Our route planning has us going from Texas to Calgary then to Dawson Creek and on to Alaska. My brother and I will caravan with two trucks and trailers (my F150/Escape 5.0, his F150/Lance 23ft) and meet the wives who will fly to Calgary and join us for the trip north. I am very familiar with the route north in the US since we have made the trip a couple of times. There is also a lot of info re: the Alaska highway and traveling in Alaska.

My question is about the Canadian portion of the Alaska highway. Any info, resources, links, things to see, camping recommendations would be appreciated! Also route suggestions would be helpful. For example, should we go to Dawson City? Fairbanks? Etc. we don’t want to travel that far and miss something. [emoji6]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We’re also looking at an Alaska trip. For info looked up a couple of the caravan companies that have $$$$$ tour one could sign up for. They show the entire trip route n places they stop at. We’re putting together a list of where we want to stop at on our leisure. You might check them out for ideas too.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For what it is worth, here is a link to a 2015 trip we made (An Escape 17 towed by a RAV4 & a Scamp 16 towed by a Toyota Sienna) to Alaska, going to on the Alaskan Highway & back on the Cassier. One of our favorite stops was the Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
We’re also looking at an Alaska trip. For info looked up a couple of the caravan companies that have $$$$$ tour one could sign up for. They show the entire trip route n places they stop at. We’re putting together a list of where we want to stop at on our leisure. You might check them out for ideas too.

David

This is a good idea I haven’t thought of yet. Thanks! 2 years ago we did a driving tour of Iceland circumnavigating the entire island (not just the Golden Circle). We used a local company to provide the itinerary, lodging and rental car. It worked out great and now I have a nice preplanned itinerary for anyone to use in the future.

John
Old 05-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For what it is worth, here is a link to a 2015 trip we made (An Escape 17 towed by a RAV4 & a Scamp 16 towed by a Toyota Sienna) to Alaska, going to on the Alaskan Highway & back on the Cassier. One of our favorite stops was the Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park.

Thanks Jon. I will revisit it. I seem to recall seeing this on your website several years ago. You always do great travelogues.

John
Old 05-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Maybe it's worth it to get the The Milepost 2023: Alaska Travel Planner? Each year's version usually comes out in March or April that year. I would assume you had an earlier version in the year when you made the trip up there. I bought a 2018 copy when I took a trip to Alaska that year and it was a big help. Even an older version still has a lot of relevant information so it's useful to bring along if you don't buy the most current one but the 2023 version will have all the latest updates.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Maybe it's worth it to get the The Milepost 2023: Alaska Travel Planner? Each year's version usually comes out in March or April that year. I would assume you had an earlier version in the year when you made the trip up there. I bought a 2018 copy when I took a trip to Alaska that year and it was a big help. Even an older version still has a lot of relevant information so it's useful to bring along if you don't buy the most current one but the 2023 version will have all the latest updates.
I found the Milepost was very "commercial", with more ads than information. I did use Church's book Traveler's Guide to Alaska & the Yukon, although I wouldn't pay Amazon's $70.00 for one. It must be out-of-print...

If you stop in Dawson City, the travel center has (at least they did in 2015) a handout with campgrounds & fuel stops that is handy.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
The Whitehorse travel centre is also a great stop for info. I wouldn't miss Dawson City for anything. For me it's the best place up there. Out of reach of the cruise ship side-trip crowd. Still very authentic. There's a Yukon gov't campsite across the river which is handy enough if you don't mind taking the free ferry back and forth to town. A bit dicey with a trailer though as the ferry doesn't have paved ramps and the back end of the trailer might drag. After/before Dawson (depending on your route direction), for sure take the Top of the World Highway into/out of Alaska.
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21c
We drove a pop top up in 2013 and a 25’ stick built for a friend in 2020 (not much fun as many restrictions
In BC and the Yukon had to be cleared within 24 hrs so a 16 hr drive from Watson lake to Beaver creek was a grind). Watch out for huge frost heaves from Haines junction to Beaver Creek, lots of trailer wreckage along that route.
Laird hot springs is a great stop and Toad River has a really nice RV park as well. The milepost was right on when they say look for wildlife at mile such and such, never failed us. The gas stops were not accurate however, as so many small lodges along the way were closed or out of business , bring some extra gas just in case. We were going to drive up in our new 21c picking it up June 3, but the border is still closed
so we’ll make the trip in 2022. It’s a beautiful drive and well worth taking your time to enjoy it when it’s all opened up once again.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I found the Milepost was very "commercial", with more ads than information. I did use Church's book Traveler's Guide to Alaska & the Yukon, although I wouldn't pay Amazon's $70.00 for one. It must be out-of-print...

If you stop in Dawson City, the travel center has (at least they did in 2015) a handout with campgrounds & fuel stops that is handy.

I found a copy of the Dawson City handout online. I can see how an updated copy will be very useful.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I found a copy of the Dawson City handout online. I can see how an updated copy will be very useful.

Is this the Dawson City handout you are talking about? This one says 32nd edition and 2021 on its front page.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #12

My brother sent me this video series. (He has a Lance that’s how he stumbled upon it). It’s very good and very well done. Between this series and Jon’s blog from 2015 there is a wealth of detailed information to plan our trip.

https://mortonsonthemove.com/go-north/
Old 06-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
My brother sent me this video series. (He has a Lance that’s how he stumbled upon it). It’s very good and very well done. Between this series and Jon’s blog from 2015 there is a wealth of detailed information to plan our trip.

https://mortonsonthemove.com/go-north/

And for all those lithium battery fans, on Episode 4, 4:10 to 14:50, they visit the BattleBorn factory in Reno and install a 5 batteries system. It shows how the batteries are constructed.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Watched the whole thing as it came online, great series. Frankly I'm surprised they don't have more subscribers.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Is this the Dawson City handout you are talking about? This one says 32nd edition and 2021 on its front page.
Or is it the Yukon Experience Guide available here?
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote