A Letter Home - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2023, 05:56 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I can't remember where I read/heard this but it stuck with me.

If your are afraid to offend, how can you be honest?
Old 07-23-2023, 07:02 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
This thread so reflects our current world, workmanship has gone to hell. People are getting so frustrated with all the nonsense everyone is now supposed to accept as the new norm.
Meanwhile others are working overtime digging for reasons to be offended.
Hear, hear!!
Old 07-23-2023, 08:24 AM   #23

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I was in a car accident once. I still drive/ride in a car. What's your point? Correlation does not imply causation and neither does a letter you make up to feed your confirmation bias.
Bias? This is a known problem.

I won't ever use Dexter's EZLube to grease my axles. There have been too many failures, even when lifting the axles and rotating while lubing. Even the best mechanic can ruin a seal. I'd rather remove the wheels to inspect the brakes once a year (that's just good practice) and have the bearings properly lubed AND cleaned, not lubed by a mass amount.

My trailer guy has customers come in every year wondering why their EZLube brakes are so poor. Again, some of them claim they do lift the wheel and rotate when greasing. He even admits he installs a seal badly once in a while, but he has a 10,000 mile or 1 year warranty on his work. He offers no warranty if they only want him to use the EZLube to save labor charges.

YMMV,

Perry
Old 07-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
In case you didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Alf, you sound like the kind of guy who also keeps the blinker fluid topped up. Good on ya.

(wink, wink)
Hi: h2owmn... Tanks for the reminder. I need to check it B4 we leave on the next trip!!! YA... and I'm still looking for the "Crank case". I really H8 that it just floats around loose in the trailer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
One time I bumped into the side of an old jalopy, and you bet I got a-fendered.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
I can't remember where I read/heard this but it stuck with me.

If your are afraid to offend, how can you be honest?
Inadvertent offending of others frequently happens, but some people (a handful here) seem to deal in snark, sarcasm, and perceived self-humor. Others ask ridiculous questions thinking it is also humorous in some way, and it may be to some members. I am being honest about my perception so I guess I am not “afraid to offend.” The OP immediately after offending a person who I have never seen to be annoyed by anyone posted what I considered a “smart-assed” question on a thread I started with the intention/hope of saving other members some money, a question I considered snarky, unnecessary, and uncalled for. Was I offended? Not really, because I have dealt with my share of jerks through my life and simply consider the source. But I’m sure my comments here will be considered as offensive, especially by the individuals to whom I refer.
Old 07-23-2023, 04:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
One time I bumped into the side of an old jalopy, and you bet I got a-fendered.
Groan, Alf's humor is spreading.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Inadvertent offending of others frequently happens, but some people (a handful here) seem to deal in snark, sarcasm, and perceived self-humor. Others ask ridiculous questions thinking it is also humorous in some way, and it may be to some members. I am being honest about my perception so I guess I am not “afraid to offend.” The OP immediately after offending a person who I have never seen to be annoyed by anyone posted what I considered a “smart-assed” question on a thread I started with the intention/hope of saving other members some money, a question I considered snarky, unnecessary, and uncalled for. Was I offended? Not really, because I have dealt with my share of jerks through my life and simply consider the source. But I’m sure my comments here will be considered as offensive, especially by the individuals to whom I refer.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:33 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
I repacked the bearings for the first time this morning. I can only imagine this letter (above) was the explanation of why there was about a pound of grease on one of my spindles. There was so much, it had blown the seal, and contaminated the brake mechanism. FORTUNATELY, none of the grease had gotten on the shoes, so I didn't have to replace them.

Can you tell I am not a fan of E-Z Lube axles?
I'm now a recovering grease-in-the-palm-of-my-hand bearing greaser and am now a converted fan of E-Z Lube axles. But I'm also careful with how much grease I pump and how fast I have the wheels rotating while pumping. I too have gone through the phase of greasing bearings in the palm of my hand and still grease my airplane wheel bearings the old fashioned way. But that's because in 1946 they didn't provide grease fittings for my airplane's wheel bearings and still don't.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:06 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
There is something almost Zen about packing bearings by hand. I could do it all day. I do have a compression packer that I use on occasion but I prefer the old school method.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:17 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
There is something almost Zen about packing bearings by hand. I could do it all day. I do have a compression packer that I use on occasion but I prefer the old school method.
There may be something almost Zen about packing bearings by hand but there's nothing Zen about lifting wheels, removing them and obliterating inner grease seals. The 18 year old residing in this 75 year old body may have thought so at one time, but he's no longer in charge.

Just did a 1500 mile round trip with normal load at 62 mph through 90 to 105 degree temps from KS to high country CO and back after greasing through the fittings with no problems. Drum temps were barely above ambient temperatures every time I felt them.
John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
There may be something almost Zen about packing bearings by hand but there's nothing Zen about lifting wheels, removing them and obliterating inner grease seals. The 18 year old residing in this 75 year old body may have thought so at one time, but he's no longer in charge.
No argument there. Looking forward to the lighter tire/wheel combo on the Escape. Our Rpod had LT235/75 15 tire/wheel combo and they were heavy.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote