Checking lug nut questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2023, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Checking lug nut questions

I have just finished reading several threads on checking lug nut torque. I decided to start a new thread rather than renew a months-old thread with my questions.

I recently flipped the axles on my 2015 5.0TA. When we reinstalled the wheels we went by the torque recommendations in the Dexter Axle manual that came with the trailer, starting on page 73: https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

It says for 15" wheels and 1/2" wheel studs to use 3 steps of 20-25 lbs, 50-60 lbs and 100-120 lbs. We set the torque to 120 ft/lbs. The manual says the bolts are manufactured to handle the maximum stated torque so I doubt I've damaged them but I will reset them to the amount recommended by Escape on the sticker between the wheel wells that I didn't notice cuz it was right in my face the whole time.

The advice in previous threads to loosen the nuts and then re-torque them makes sense to me and I intend to do that before our next trip but I have some dumb questions first.

My questions about that are:
-how much do I let off the nuts? Do I just crack the torque and then tighten to the correct torque or do I back them off all the way and start the torque process from the lowest ft/lbs again?
-do I loosen all the nuts on a wheel at once and then start the star tightening process or do each nut individually?
-do I loosen while the trailer is sitting on the ground or do I need to reset the wheel position with the wheels off the ground, then lower to the ground to do the final torquing?

I know the topic has been discussed to death already but I didn't see anything to answer my questions in the threads I read.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've never heard of backing off lug nuts before checking the torque. The wheels aren't hub centric. That means if you backed off the lug nuts without raising the wheel off the ground the wheel would end up off center. Not a good thing.

That's why the process should be: wheel off ground, snug up lug nuts crisscrossing as you do it and gradually working your way up. This ensures that the lug nut taper matches the taper on the wheel and it's centered.

It's true that it's good to recheck the torque after some use but when you do that typically one or two lug nuts might take a bit more torque but most are still torqued.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've never heard of backing off lug nuts before checking the torque. The wheels aren't hub centric. That means if you backed off the lug nuts without raising the wheel off the ground the wheel would end up off center. Not a good thing.

Ron
Thanks Ron.

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about, the wheels being off centre.

I can't find the thread about backing off the nuts now but it had to do with wheels that were put on by someone else and you didn't know if they'd used an impact gun or not so the lug nuts may have been over-torqued. Then, of course, when the owner was checking and you reached the proper torque the wrench would click but you wouldn't know if the nuts were tighter than that.

I see now that would not apply to my situation because I put the wheels on myself, did it properly like you describe and only tightened to 120 ft/lb.

So I'm guessing it will be ok to just back them off a bit and then set the torque to what ETI suggests.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
One at at time, break them loose till they are free, tighten again to 100 lb/ft, go across the wheel and do the next, and the next and so on. It isn't rocket science, but they do need to be loose to retorque them. No need to jack it up, the other four will hold it fine.

Charles
Old 07-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I use 30 60 95 ft lbs each. Tightening all 5 to 30 in a star pattern then 60 then 95. YMMV.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
One at at time, break them loose till they are free, tighten again to 100 lb/ft, go across the wheel and do the next, and the next and so on. It isn't rocket science, but they do need to be loose to retorque them. No need to jack it up, the other four will hold it fine.

Charles
Charles

I was hoping that would work.
Thanks
Old 07-20-2023, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I use 30 60 95 ft lbs each. Tightening all 5 to 30 in a star pattern then 60 then 95. YMMV.
Thanks Dave.

Same idea, slightly different numbers from the manual. I'll probably use your easier to remember numbers next time I replace a wheel.

I'm sure both will work fine.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #8

The upshot here is that the wheels and tires are centered, and seated, properly inflated with no side to side play in the wheel bearings and the castle nut properly tightened against the thrust washer to seat the bearings. Then with the lug nuts evenly torqued down, make a short trip. Check the nut torque during the trip or at the end of a day of towing. In my experience if you’ve been diligent and accurate in your original torque down you won’t be “light” more than two or three ft.lbs. on any one nut.

If you don’t have a temperature gun, you can check your hub temperature with your hand. when you stop for fuel, lunch, at your destination etc.

If you’ve come off the road at Highway speeds in hilly West Virginia , and had to use some braking pressure to get slowed down or stopped, do not put your bare fingertips directly on the tow vehicle brake rotors. The rotor will quickly fry your fingertips and be uncomfortable for a couple days. Do not ask me how I know this. Easy does it
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2023, 10:49 AM   #9

Right on, Dave.

I usually follow those procedures except the West Virginia part. I’ve never been there.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:34 PM   #10

There's the torque sticker. Right above the wheel wells where it has always been.

Reset all my torques to 95.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:51 PM   #11

There is a certain satisfaction and personal sense of responsibility when vehicle and trailer maintenance is correctly done whether it’s done by a shop or an individual with proper skills.
Tools to some of us are like jewelry. We may own some we don’t use often and they are probably higher quality than necessary but there’s a pride of ownership and a satisfaction just lookin at them lined up in the box. For me anyway.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-22-2023, 06:09 PM   #12

We have a store in Canada that is similar to Harbor Freight in the States. It's called Princess Auto and it was founded here in Winnipeg where I live. If you're not making your living with them it's a good source for tools.

One of their slogans is "Too many tools? Yeah right!"
Old 07-22-2023, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post

Their flyers are sort of agony. I mean some good deals but do I really need a third or forth one. How many spares are enough?

Their main slogan is "no sale is complete until you're satisfied." I can't believe that they can stay in business by honoring that situation. One of the worst abuses that I've ever seen was a guy returning a tile cutting saw. Doesn't work right he said. The saw looked like it'd been out in the rain for years, was beat up and well used.

After he walked away the clerk saw the look on my face and said "5 years".

Ron
Old 07-22-2023, 10:23 PM   #14

The guy who lived next door to my brother bought a new table saw and a radial arm saw from Sears.
Put on a room addition, three season pierce and a big garage. Once done too them back to Sears and got his money back. The time he told me about it was the last time I talked to him. Disgusting.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-26-2023, 11:46 PM   #15
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
We have a store in Canada that is similar to Harbor Freight in the States. It's called Princess Auto and it was founded here in Winnipeg where I live. If you're not making your living with them it's a good source for tools.

Princess Auto is a great Canadian institution. It was born to be a support for the independent farmers who could fix anything because they had too. My father was from Manitoba and would get catalogues in British Columbia long before they opened stores here. He gave me a Princess Autp 99 piece fishing kit that started me on a life long hobby. I am still facinated by what you can buy for a very reasonable price. I own several power fist products including a $39 tongue weight scale
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The guy who lived next door to my brother bought a new table saw and a radial arm saw from Sears.
Put on a room addition, three season pierce and a big garage. Once done too them back to Sears and got his money back. The time he told me about it was the last time I talked to him. Disgusting.
Iowa Dave
That was the thing about Craftsman back in the day. You could return any tool. The Sears near us had a big, clear plastic bin, probably 7ft tall on the sales floor full of returned screw drivers and wrenches and stuff.

Ever been to an REI garage sale? Not unusual to see a worn out pair of boots or shoes with a tag that says, wore out too soon.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

My father was from Manitoba and would get catalogues in British Columbia long before they opened stores here.
I remember those days in the 80s. Mail order seems so strange now. Definitely not next day delivery.

They first opened a store in Kelowna which I saw as hopeful but given that it's a 300 mile drive, not very useable. Then Langley, only 40 miles. Great, made the drive many times. Then Coquitlam, only 10 miles. Made the drive so many times until I started looking hopefully through the flyers to find some shiny new tool and started seeing things that I already had.

Ron
Old 07-27-2023, 12:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

Just had a look at the Princess Auto website. Very similar to a US company back in the 80's-2000's called Northern Hydraulics, now called Northern Tool. Back when it was Northern Hydraulics it was more fun to shop for all kinds of unique tools and supplies. Now it is more mainstream and doesn't have the variety and selection.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote