Cover for winter or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Question Cover for winter or not?

Hello everyone,
How does the UV rays affect the fiberglass and other components of my 2018 17B during the winter?
Is covering the trailer a good option?
We don't get a lot of snow but it can be cold and gray here for a bit of the winter. We live in western Colorado where the clouds shove up against the central Rockies and dump snow in the famous ski towns but we usually are cloudy and dry about 30% of the winter. We can get a lot of snow sporadically but that just depends on if its a Big Snow winter or not. The trailer is parked on the west side of the garage with trees shading it somewhat on its west and north side. The south side is open.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some say yea, some say nay. On the yea side, I cover to keep mine clean, one does have to try and make it so the wind does not make it billow. On the nay side, if you get grit up under it and the wind can blow it around, it can grind into the gel coat. The choice is yours.

Yes, a cover would help for blocking UV rays. Even in the winter the fiberglass will oxidize.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have never covered any of my Escapes, just a good wash and wax in Spring and before winter.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I live in the PNW, I cover mine when I’m home always. Green algae and black lines if I don’t, yuk.
diannelgraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have heard many stories of covers flapping in the wind wrecking the finish and decals of trailers. I have most winters found a barn to keep it dry and clean, but I wouldn't have issue with leaving it outside either. Just give it a wash and wax in the spring. I only use Maguires car care products on my trailer and or cars.

Option B, all the marinas around here shrink wrap boats, just a thought.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
The shelter we had built for our Escape has been great. Only one winter under it but I was surprised at how little dirt and tree debris there was on the roof when I cleaned it this spring. It even had a trip to GA and back in March before cleaning. The shelter is open at both ends and snow can blow in but at least I don't have to keep the roof cleaned off as I'd had to do in previous winters Being open the batteries stayed charged up through the winter with the solar.

I normally wax twice a year but think I'll not bother doing it again until the fall.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We never cover ours due to the solar panel. Just keep it out from under the oaks!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We never cover ours due to the solar panel. Just keep it out from under the oaks!
That was our problem, the oaks, our neighbours to the north and to the east both have huge oak trees and the debris does not stay in their yards.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I normally wax twice a year but think I'll not bother doing it again until the fall.
Rub it in............literally............
Old 06-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
my covered casita had brighter corners from the cover rubbing from the wind. Kinda buffed it out in that area. I think my new escape I will leave uncovered or have something to park it under.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Escape is parked under a cedar ( which I wouldn't recommend ) and the part that is exposed to the sun ( top of the front and roof ) is chalky, not shiny. It requires a polish and a wax.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 - 19
I have a Classic Accessories cover which i intend to use this winter. However... I’d really like a carport
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We chose to keep our 19 uncovered in southern Wisconsin, and overall I'm okay with that decision. But there are downsides. I have to regularly wipe it down with a damp cloth. All sorts of things collect on it, especially after rain and snow. (In my opinion if this were not done one's camper would look old and scruffy fast. At least where I live.) I regularly treat the graphics with a product called 303 to minimize fading. The tires are covered. And like others here, we wash and wax at least twice a year to keep the gel coat shiny. If I could, I would have our camper sheltered under a roof at home. A carport would work fine, a building would be better.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote