Routine Maintenance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Routine Maintenance

Hi there,

We have a 2018 Escape 21 and have heard/read varying information on a few maintenance items. It would be so nice if there was a mileage/time frame for maintenance items as there is in a manual for a vehicle!

Since getting the trailer in 2018, we have put about 6000km on the trailer… at what point should we repack the bearings and get the brakes done? While the mileage is not very high, I’m aware that time takes it’s toll on mechanical parts. We used to get our Boler done yearly, but have done less travelling with Covid, etc. since getting our Escape.

Secondly, we washed the trailer regularly after any trip, but have not waxed it and have noticed that it’s probably due to be waxed as the finish has dulled. It’s been stored through the winter outdoors with a cover on it.

If anyone has any great links to DIY for either of these maintenance items, Canadian available products to wax it or companies in the Lower Mainland of BC that do either of these maintenance items and what the cost was, it would be greatly helpful!

Thanks so much!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
See your owner's manual. Chapter Eight in my version. If you don't have one, go to ETI web site and download it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 3.37.28 PM.jpg  
Old 07-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Hi there,

We have a 2018 Escape 21 and have heard/read varying information on a few maintenance items. It would be so nice if there was a mileage/time frame for maintenance items as there is in a manual for a vehicle!

Since getting the trailer in 2018, we have put about 6000km on the trailer… at what point should we repack the bearings and get the brakes done? While the mileage is not very high, I’m aware that time takes it’s toll on mechanical parts. We used to get our Boler done yearly, but have done less travelling with Covid, etc. since getting our Escape.

Secondly, we washed the trailer regularly after any trip, but have not waxed it and have noticed that it’s probably due to be waxed as the finish has dulled. It’s been stored through the winter outdoors with a cover on it.

If anyone has any great links to DIY for either of these maintenance items, Canadian available products to wax it or companies in the Lower Mainland of BC that do either of these maintenance items and what the cost was, it would be greatly helpful!

Thanks so much!
We have had our 21c since October 2016. We have approximately 35000 miles on it. I have the wheel bearings repacked at an estimated every 12,000 miles, at which time they check and adjust the brakes. I wash and wax the trailer 2x per year, spring and fall . I also check all the gaskets,( at wax time) around everything, AC, Vents, Windows, Brake and running lights, etc. that’s about it. Check water level in your batteries three times a year.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As Glenn points out, all the information needed is in the Escape owners manual, start there.....
Old 07-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Thanks for your responses, they are helpful. We are aware of the manual, however, it doesn’t answer all of the questions I’m looking for, such as if the trailer ‘mileage’ is low, if there is still a time frame for getting the bearings repacked, etc., any product recommendations for wash/wax or local companies people have used and cost.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would recommend the same maintenance you presently perform on your tow vehicle re: wash and wax and bearing repack on the trailer........