Storage in Rainy locations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2023, 11:07 PM   #1

Trailer: HiCamp Tear Drop
Storage in Rainy locations

I am considering an Escape 19. I would store in my driveway and would purchase a metal roof carport. Sides would need to be open. Winter weather is low 30s, sometimes 20s, lots of rain.

Is it asking for trouble to store it this way?

I will winterize and run a small dehumidifier, but I’d hate to degrade a nice trailer. Currently have a tear drop which fits in our one car detached garage. Unheated but perfectly dry.
MoreQuestionsThanAnswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19’
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreQuestionsThanAnswers View Post
I am considering an Escape 19. I would store in my driveway and would purchase a metal roof carport. Sides would need to be open. Winter weather is low 30s, sometimes 20s, lots of rain.

Is it asking for trouble to store it this way?

I will winterize and run a small dehumidifier, but I’d hate to degrade a nice trailer. Currently have a tear drop which fits in our one car detached garage. Unheated but perfectly dry.
We store our 2015 E19 outside, uncovered in Chimacum on the very wet Olympic Peninsula. It is plugged in and we run a very small heater set on the lowest setting mostly to circulate the air. Being an "egg" the trailer stays dry inside as long as it is closed up. I do not warm up the inside of the trailer as the warm air inside would cause moisture to build up on the inside of the uninsulated windows in the cold weather. Being uncovered it does need to get washed off outside periodically to keep moss from building up.
FYI we keep a sailboat in the water year round in the same fashion.
Sailingmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I live in Mount Vernon, WA

I store my 15 B in the drive way with just a cloth cover. No issues.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We stored our Bigfoot pickup camper outdoors in Ketchikan, AK for 10 years. We had 150” - 200” of rain a year including some snow and ice. We found it better to leave it uncovered as the cover eventually trapped water under it, and then it never dried out. I doubt it was ever truly dry until we moved to Kansas.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmiker View Post
We store our 2015 E19 outside, uncovered in Chimacum on the very wet Olympic Peninsula. It is plugged in and we run a very small heater set on the lowest setting mostly to circulate the air. Being an "egg" the trailer stays dry inside as long as it is closed up. I do not warm up the inside of the trailer as the warm air inside would cause moisture to build up on the inside of the uninsulated windows in the cold weather. Being uncovered it does need to get washed off outside periodically to keep moss from building up.
FYI we keep a sailboat in the water year round in the same fashion.
Thank you, very helpful. I know my dehumidifier produces some warm air so it’s probably equal to your heater.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
........... We had 150” - 200” of rain a year ................

WOW!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
In addition I would also recommend putting the cushions on pool noodles to reduce contact with the wood and wall covering, or removing them to the house if you will not be using your trailer during the winter. Also opening all doors and drawers and the refrigerator.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
In addition I would also recommend putting the cushions on pool noodles to reduce contact with the wood and wall covering, or removing them to the house if you will not be using your trailer during the winter. Also opening all doors and drawers and the refrigerator.
Excellent
Old 11-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I don't think our 21' would know what to think if it had a metal roof over it! Nor would our vehicles for that matter. The detached garage burned down years before we bought the place and it was never replaced.

Anyway, some winters we put the cover on and some we don't. I pull the cushions away from the walls as well as the bed (it's flipped up against the bathroom wall). All cabinets and drawers are opened.

I also wax the trailer twice a year to give it a coat of protection. So far, knock on wood, the outside still looks good, including the black cat decals all around it on the outside (I didn't get the ETI decals installed).

Moisture on the inside is much more of an issue when it's cold outside and warm inside the trailer (when out camping). Small portable dehumidifiers don't help very much. I ended up sewing rags together to go around the bed and behind the dinette to soak up the moisture and replace with another set when needed.

We have put the cover on during the summer as it's rarely used then.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our 5.0TA stays outside year round, rain, snow, wind, whatever. No roof or cover over it. Never had an issue yet. I do polish it up good once or twice a year.

Fortunately Calgary has quite low humidity so no need to dehumidify. We actually have the reverse issue that we need to add humidity in the house.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I don't think our 21' would know what to think if it had a metal roof over it! Nor would our vehicles for that matter. The detached garage burned down years before we bought the place and it was never replaced.

Anyway, some winters we put the cover on and some we don't. I pull the cushions away from the walls as well as the bed (it's flipped up against the bathroom wall). All cabinets and drawers are opened.

I also wax the trailer twice a year to give it a coat of protection. So far, knock on wood, the outside still looks good, including the black cat decals all around it on the outside (I didn't get the ETI decals installed).

Moisture on the inside is much more of an issue when it's cold outside and warm inside the trailer (when out camping). Small portable dehumidifiers don't help very much. I ended up sewing rags together to go around the bed and behind the dinette to soak up the moisture and replace with another set when needed.

We have put the cover on during the summer as it's rarely used then.
Awesome information, but let me get this straight. You camp in the winter, not the summer. You might dislike crowds as much as I do.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our 5.0TA stays outside year round, rain, snow, wind, whatever. No roof or cover over it. Never had an issue yet. I do polish it up good once or twice a year.

Fortunately Calgary has quite low humidity so no need to dehumidify. We actually have the reverse issue that we need to add humidity in the house.
Thanks Jim.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:26 PM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We have our trailer under storage but instead of Al top, we used polycarbonate roof panels. When it rains, you don't hear the rain ping against the roof. It looks great and has held up well. I highly recommend!

This is the best photo I have at the time but here is a photo of the structure.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntop-2...8975/100037754
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 11.24.11 AM.jpg  
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
We have our trailer under storage but instead of Al top, we used polycarbonate roof panels. When it rains, you don't hear the rain ping against the roof. It looks great and has held up well. I highly recommend!

Awesome information
Old 11-30-2023, 08:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post

Foam polycarbonate, that's interesting. I was wondering why you wouldn't get the "ping".
Old 11-30-2023, 09:03 AM   #16
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Foam polycarbonate, that's interesting. I was wondering why you wouldn't get the "ping".
Metal vs a durable plastic--that was our personal debate. Our trailer is close to our neighbor's bedroom and hearing a hard rain on a metal roof could be annoying. The polycarbonate doesn't make a distinct sound when it rains.

We built this 8 years ago and it still looks great! We liked it so much we put this on our gazebo roof. We live in a hot summer area where we can always expect many days of over 100+F in the summer. Perfect for our needs.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
You mean something like this? I can turn you on the this manufacturer, if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1324.jpg  
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:06 PM   #18

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
I’m just ‘up the road’ from you. Same climate.

I just put a marine ceramic coat (Glidecoat Marine Ceramic) on our brand new 5.0. Supposed to protect from UV, and other weather related issues for upto 2 years. The ceramic is designed for gel coat fibreglass. Designed for extreme usage such as seawater based boats in the harsh Florida sun.

The issue we have is high humidity. I’ve got a small dehumidifier and some of those dehumidifier crystals which soak up water vapour. I’ve got a temp/relative humidity monitor inside and I’m struggling to keep the humidity low inside. Last week I put our large dehumidifier inside overnight and got it down to 54%. But it’s back up to 70% now, which I don’t understand as I’ve got all the windows/vents closed (high outside humidity).

So still experimenting with that.

It’s super slick and shiny now and should be pretty easy to keep clean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	71788
Old 12-01-2023, 11:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
You mean something like this? I can turn you on the this manufacturer, if you like.
That looks hell for stout. I’d love to know the mfg, thanks
Old 12-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Sweet! Does it come with the level ground I would need to install one?!?
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote