2023 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 22-24 - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2023, 06:14 PM   #201

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ants

I insulated a 3 season enclosed porch I'd built, open ceiling, with several layers of foam, one an extruded polystyrene, standard pink Owens Corning stuff and a 1" layer of closed-cell polyisocyanurate foam with an aluminum face. Interior covering was car siding pine.

I don't know the species of ants that were setting up house in that foam board, maybe "field ants" or carpenter ants, but they were big, black buggers. I'd come into the room and find a drizzle of foam bits on the floor. Tried killing them, some success with that, but caulked all the seams where they could get in and that fixed things...until I sold the 120 year old house and moved a couple of years ago. The porch is still standing.

So I'd say do whatever preventive actions you can, now. The insects can bore into and through the foam and set up their colonies, all in an insulated, storm proof, cozy setting.

Last year and this year I'm dealing with the same or similar species of ants in my E19. First a front storage box I'd built, now this Summer the trailer. I suspect, only, that they set up house in the pontoons that our trailers have. Hidden spots, not accessible, and cozy too. There were no food products for them, I think they just squat in these places.
I've put screening over the pontoon drain holes and over the Summer have nuked a bunch of them with bait poisons. The rig was stored in a lot next to a forested area, so plenty of possibilities for them. They did no damage, (that I know of), just an annoyance.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:24 AM   #202

Trailer: 2018 None
I also wanted to say my sister's ICF was hit by 2 1/2 inch hail so they were replacing the outside redwood siding. They have installed a 2 foot galvanized barrier at the bottom of their ICF, under the siding. They have found that one mouse can cause a lot of damage to the blue Styrofoam if they eat through the bottom board.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:35 AM   #203

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I also wanted to say my sister's ICF was hit by 2 1/2 inch hail so they were replacing the outside redwood siding. They have installed a 2 foot galvanized barrier at the bottom of their ICF, under the siding. They have found that one mouse can cause a lot of damage to the blue Styrofoam if they eat through the bottom board.
Yikes. I just asked the other day what goes on between the ground and bottom of the siding and was told two feet of metal barrier. Thanks.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote