2019 Price Increase - TARIFFS - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I agree. Since the US started using the dollar first, Canada should change the name of it's currency. Any suggestions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._States_dollar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...anadian_dollar
Hi: Hilola... How about Canada's "Brass buck" Eh? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I agree. Since the US started using the dollar first, Canada should change the name of it's currency. Any suggestions?
The obvious answer, of course, is "loonie".

When the Canadian dollar was really low compared to the U.S. dollar, I know people who referred to it as the "Canadian peso"... referring to Mexico's currency, which always runs several pesos to the dollar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Also see Tire Levee fee $20...
In some places there is a government fee (tax) for each tire sold, to cover the cost of disposing of them. I don't know why that would not just be built into the trailer price, but it might be listed separately on all vehicles in British Columbia.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In BC we pay an environment tax on pretty much everything to pay for recycling and disposal. You'll find that tax on a radio, TV or stereo and on chargers, batteries.
We don't throw our beer cans in ditches. We take them to a bottle depot and get our deposit back.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I put 15 or 20 Cases of Iowa nickel cans in the Escape and cash them for a dime in Michigan to offset those exhorbitant Michigan State camping fees when I go to the U.P. . They call me Komso Kramer. Last month somebody tried to poison me when they sold me SEC Dr. Pepper cans in Tennessee. I nearly fainted when I saw that SEC Logo on the side of the can. Fortunately there was an ACC guy there big enough to catch this old BIG Ten boy as he staggered to regain stability . Recycling can be dangerous.
Iowa “ 2 cent pop bottle” Dave
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #66

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Really interesting thread; I have to agree that when we buy a trailer like the Escape product which not only seems to be an excellent product but from everything I've read appears to have a customer support network like no other - can you imagine the owner of Airstream driving across the USA fixing his customers' trailers? and let's not forget that you pay three times the price for their trailer!! I'm not happy about the $500 tariff but small potatoes in the grand scheme.

Really looking forward to sitting in my Escape trailer trying out different Canadian and American beers and coming to the conclusion that I seem to like them ALL
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 AM   #67

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
And when I register in Colorado I’ll pay 8.5% sales tax plus a registration fee based on the purchase price, plus a road tax, etc. The total of everything will be about 10%

Annual registration fees are really an excise tax based on a declining value. Probably in the $700/year range to start. An RV is an expensive toy.
I'm not sure its that expensive a toy as I save about 100 bucks off the cost of a hotel room per night and often more. I can stay in way nicer places out in the wilds where there are no hotels anyway. I couldn't afford 100 nights a year in a hotel, but 100 nights in our trailer is very doable.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I think to put a tariff which is really a tax into the same discussion as exchange rates is like comparing an apple to an orange, yes both are fruits but......

i'm a partner in a company that we import office furniture from Taiwan and a few things from mainland China, interesting thing is this recent 10% tariff did not effect the product from Taiwan.
I say this is basically a tax because how it is collected from us, on our Chinese products the freight forwarder (container company) that takes care of the shipping collects it so as soon as it hits the U.S.
Interesting thing will be this 25% tariff they are talking about in January, that happens I guarantee we will all be paying more for things, some of that unnecessarily because companies will be able to say it's the tariff.

I'm happy I own an Escape and believe if you want a travel trailer your investing in Escape when many other brands you would just be buying.

Safe and fun travels to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #69

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
I'm not sure its that expensive a toy as I save about 100 bucks off the cost of a hotel room per night and often more. I can stay in way nicer places out in the wilds where there are no hotels anyway. I couldn't afford 100 nights a year in a hotel, but 100 nights in our trailer is very doable.
I agree that its not an expensive toy. Last month we drove back home from GA. We are returning in March. I considered putting trailer into storage down there. When dong some estimating I figured it would be considerably more expensive to do that despite some gas savings not towing. Figured on at least six nights hotel plus all meals out instead of a just few when camping, then there was the storage cost and wondering whether trailer would be as safe as in our own driveway. Plus the biggest benefit we got to sleep in our own bed every night
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #70

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Agreed.
When you’re writing the check for the annual excise tax, insurance, monthly storage fee, maintenance, etc., it’s easy to forget the money you save by not staying in the No-Tell Motel.

The Escape will be our seventh RV starting in 1974. I’m going to put a decal on the rear window saying ‘The Last Hurrah ‘

Enjoy your travels

Ed, Carol and Gopher the Aussie girl.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #71

Trailer: none
Quote:
Agreed.
When you’re writing the check for the annual excise tax, insurance, monthly storage fee, maintenance, etc., it’s easy to forget the money you save by not staying in the No-Tell Motel.

The Escape will be our seventh RV starting in 1974. I’m going to put a decal on the rear window saying ‘The Last Hurrah ‘

Enjoy your travels

Ed, Carol and Gopher the Aussie girl.

Ed, are you the former owner of a Lazy Daze?
Old 11-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I think to put a tariff which is really a tax into the same discussion as exchange rates is like comparing an apple to an orange, yes both are fruits but......
The topic of the thread is the price increase which is attributed to tariffs; the exchange rate discussion is a sidetrack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I say this is basically a tax because how it is collected from us...
Yes, a tariff is a specific type of tax. No tariff is being charged to Escape buyers - the price of a trailer has just gone up because of tariffs. The price increase is being listed as a surcharge, instead of just being part of the base price.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #73

Trailer: none
So now that the new Trade deal has been signed by the US, Canada, and Mexico are tariffs being lifted? If so, will Escape be lowering their prices?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #74

The deal may be signed, but has to be ratified by all three countries. You have Democrats now in control in one house, you have a new leftist Mexican leader and you have the provinces gnawing on Trudeau's ankle leading up to an election.

Besides, the current steel and aluminum tariffs aren't legal under NAFTA ( according to Canada ). Neither are the softwood tariffs and Canada has repeatedly taken the US to court ( and won ) over those, which increase costs of new homes in the US.

Just needs somebody to figure out how to make steel and aluminum out of soya beans and cheese.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #75

Quote:
So now that the new Trade deal has been signed by the US, Canada, and Mexico are tariffs being lifted? If so, will Escape be lowering their prices?
Not likely. As originally announced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy and Escape Office View Post
...we have received price increases on several products used in the manufacturing of the Escape Travel Trailer. The third phase of Tariff increases will see another increase in product manufactured outside of Canada and the US.
The old trade deal (NAFTA) never ended, and the tariffs which have caused cost increases applied to product from outside the range of that deal (perhaps China?)... and the replacement deal. As the U.S. is still waging trade wars with everyone, these tariffs continue.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #76

Look at what has happened to the ETI price for five aluminum rims:

November Build Sheet $475
December Build Sheet $750
Old 12-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Look at what has happened to the ETI price for five aluminum rims:

November Build Sheet $475

December Build Sheet $750

So sad.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #78

If I had a set of aluminum rims, I would be shopping for locking lug nuts.

Around here the druggies steal aluminum gutters and copper wire from houses under construction.
Aluminum rims are probably worth a good deal of meth.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
So sad.

Fred M.
Not really, for US buyers at least. The price for these wheels remains low - in the US. I'd just mount them after taking delivery.
Quote:
If I had a set of aluminum rims, I would be shopping for locking lug nuts.

Around here the druggies steal aluminum gutters and copper wire from houses under construction.
Aluminum rims are probably worth a good deal of meth.
You can get the HiSpec aluminum wheels, the exact ones ETI uses, for $76 apiece stateside. Around here they're not really worth much more than standard trailer wheels, at least in terms of resale.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You can get the HiSpec aluminum wheels, the exact ones ETI uses, for $76 apiece stateside.

Once again, the $750 divided by five, equals $150 CAD each, which currently is $112 US.

You will also have to pay somebody to mount your tires on those rims and balance them. Presumably that cost will be in US dollars.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.16.19 PM.png