Another 2-burner portable grill alternative - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2023, 08:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lightbulb Another 2-burner portable grill alternative

There's tons of portable grills, each with pros and cons, and lovers of most every alternative. IMO choices in the marketplace are good for everyone!

The popular 2-burner Napoloen TravelQ285 looked to meet my preferences, then I ran across mention of the Cuisinart CGG-306 (thanks member dosby!) and decided to give it a try via Amazon.

One key difference between the two is the Napoleon as delivered uses disposable 1lb propane cylinder while the Cuisinart is made for connection to bulk tanks using an included hose with regulator. Slightly smaller than the Napoloen, here's a comparison matrix I built, more to follow in the next post with pics.
Attached Thumbnails
NAPOLEON - CUISINART COMPARISON.jpg  
Old 09-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #2

This Cuisinart is the latest version, recognized by four independent folding legs rather than two folding 'hoop' legs seen in some early-version reviews. It easily slips straight into my 5.0 front storage compartment. I like that the lid latches shut for easy carrying 'suitcase style' and stowing.

The pics show the easy quick-disconnect conversion I made to allow use of either the included 38" hose with regulator connected directly to a propane tank (useful for locations far from my trailer) OR connection to my trailer's built-in QD LP connection with a standard (no regulator) extension hose.

The Cuisinart's included (pictured with added QD fitting) hose with regulator comes pre-attached to the grill via a standard 3/8"SAE flare nut (requires a 3/4" wrench on the nut). I replaced that with a matching 12" QD male pigtail on the grill and installed a QD female connector on the OE hose with regulator. Leak-tested with recommended soap solution and all is good.

Since taking these 'new clean grill' pics I've used it both ways and find the performance is great.

I've also used it with this griddle plate which uses about 1/2 the grate area, does a nice job for veggies while concurrently grilling meat.

Just posting FYI since the Cuisinart hasn't received much mention on this forum, IMO it's worthy of consideration, YMMV, Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg  
Old 09-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Very nice. Should work really well for you. We picked up a Weber Q earlier this summer to replace our Camp Chef Pro 60X which we simply got tired of lugging around after 6 years. We bought a couple of griddles that fit in place of the grills so now we can have full grill or full griddle or half and half. We actually like that the Weber uses smaller propane bottles and we can place it where ever we want it and are not limited by proximity to the propane connection on the trailer.

Choices are good.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:09 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
We picked up a Weber Q ...
Certainly among the proven popular single burner grills.

Quote:
... to replace our Camp Chef Pro 60X which we simply got tired of lugging around
Whoa, I can see why, that's a different (Big) league entirely!

Quote:
Choices are good.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
Thank you for the recommendation. I saw several campers using the Cuisinart (or similar) stoves during our last two camping adventures.

As we are only just now transitioning to trailer travel, I suspect we'll continue to use our Coleman 2-burner stove that uses 1-pound propane tanks until I can persuade my wife of the need for a better stove. She's very much a 'waste not want not' type while I'm more inclined to buy new gadgets - especially if our needs change.
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We have the Napoleon and love it. The dual burners let you use this as an oven. We did not order an overnight with our Escape. I've roasted whole chickens, cornbread, biscuits and roasted squash using just one of the burners.

Had I known about this unit I probably would have gone that directly based on the price. Looks sharp!

Dual burners all the way.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
..... I suspect we'll continue to use our Coleman 2-burner stove that uses 1-pound propane tanks until I can persuade my wife of the need for a better stove. .....
Just to be clear, this Cuisinart and the mentioned Napoleon / WeberQ are all intended for direct grilling of foods on the grate or a griddle surface. They tend to work best with the lids closed. Think "BBQ".

They don't have round burners that concentrate heat on the bottom of a pan like a "stove", though a pan can be used for heating things on them if needed in a pinch. I wouldn't want to use the grill for boiling pasta, for example, it'd probably take too long.

"Two burners" simply refers to having separate control of the heat under each half of the grate(s), convenient when grilling dissimilar things concurrently or providing 'indirect heat' if desired (using as an 'oven' as mentioned by Willy B).
Old 09-14-2023, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
This looks very appealing to me. I have an old Napolean single burner, similair in style as what your Cusinart looks like. Really like the 2 burner option.
My Napolean has worked well but is getting tired.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Here's another potential candidate from Costco - NXR Grill -looks similar to the Cuisinart but with 3-8k BTU burners, and a bit wider (25.1"x18"x14.8")
https://www.costco.com/nxr-3-burner-...000149796.html
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Just ordered a Weber Q1200. Even though it is a single burner, the size suites our needs better. The Napolean 2 burners, and Cuisinart were just too big for what we want.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote