"China bombs" - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Always remember "There's a lot riding on your tires".
So true. Keep an eye on them. If you want a real eye-opener check out this video of a large RV graveyard. Most of the Class-A's are there after crashing due to front tire blowouts.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Most of the Class-A's are there after crashing due to front tire blowouts.
Although they say that front tire blowouts are common, very few of the motorhomes appear to have rolled or even have front-end body damage. Would they really be scrapped because they ran into a ditch after a tire failure? I think they mean that of the ones which were scrapped due to crashes (a minority of the total), the cause of the crash was a tire blowout 95% of the time. Even that fraction sounds like fiction; in general, "95%" and "99%" seem more like ways people express "usually" rather than like actual values.

But just accepting that cause... so why would a front tire on a motorhome blow out? While overloading or underinflation are good possibilities (as with trailers), my guess is that curb damage is a strong contender - it's easy to run out of room and hard to see where the passenger side tire is. Trailer tires suffer similar damage on the inside of turns, probably mostly on the passenger side. Regardless of where the tire is made, it can't be expected to survive repeated abuse.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Escape came with Goodyear Marathon tires, which I replaced after seven trouble-free years.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My Escape came with Goodyear Marathon tires, which I replaced after seven trouble-free years.
With luck like yours, you should be playing the lottery!

I had Marathons on my Casita and two out of the three had blisters within three years. The one that didn't blister was the spare.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #25
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...Even that fraction sounds like fiction; in general, "95%" and "99%" seem more like ways people express "usually" rather than like actual values....
Had an uncle that often used 85% to support his opinion/argument/position of whatever topic under discussion. He was challenged one time by a family member on the percentage and he started laughing.

All those years and he was finally caught, along with the rest of us who believed his 'statistic' was accurate.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Just replaced the Carlisle tires on my 17B that came on it in 2017. They probably would have gone farther than 12K miles if I hadn't overtightened a brake causing some worn flat spots on one tire this last 4K mile trip. On closer inspection I could also see some checking and cracking on the tire near where the tread meets the sidewall. So out out caution I just bought three new Goodyear Endurance tires. One thing I noticed is that load range C Carlisle tires are only 4 ply. The Goodyear load range D (lowest range they sell) is a 6 ply. Given that I'm driving down quite a few gravel roads plus some rough terrain at times I'm glad I picked the Goodyear's. But I have to say the Carlisle's did ok for what I put them through.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:40 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
One thing I noticed is that load range C Carlisle tires are only 4 ply. The Goodyear load range D (lowest range they sell) is a 6 ply.
See post #45 by Brian B-P on plys:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-a-7997-3.html
Old 10-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #28

Quote:
I get what Brian is referring to and that is a ply rating. My reference to "plies" is due to what is actually stamped on the tires. Carlisle load range C tires had"plies tread 2 polyester + 2 steel belts" stamped right on the tire. While the Goodyear's has "plies tread, 2 polyester + 2 steel belts + 2 nylon". It's dinky print...but it's there.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:25 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My reference to "plies" is due to what is actually stamped on the tires. Carlisle load range C tires had"plies tread 2 polyester + 2 steel belts" stamped right on the tire. While the Goodyear's has "plies tread, 2 polyester + 2 steel belts + 2 nylon". It's dinky print...but it's there.
Actual ply information! Yes, that's different from the ply rating. The LR-C Carlisles have 2 radial plies of polyester, and the tread has two additional belt plies of steel; the LR-D Goodyears have 2 radial plies of polyester plus 2 radial plies of nylon, and the tread has two additional belt plies of steel. I think both are probably common construction configurations in ST tires; it's commonly listed on the sidewall but not so often shown in published specs.

Additional or thicker or different material reinforcing layers (primarily in the sidewall) are needed for higher pressure and the resulting higher load capacity. If you don't need the load capacity, the extra plies are not really beneficial. They do make the sidewalls heat up more as they flex while rolling.

The Load Range G tires on my motorhome (Michelin XRV in 235/80R22.5 size) have a single ply sidewall (and I think three belts under the tread) to handle the 2120 kg (4675 lb) load per tire at 2120 kPa (110 PSI)... in steel. It would be possible to make a "unicycle" out of an Escape on a single one of these tires, and if that were done I wouldn't be worried about the sidewalls having only a single ply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #30

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
It's a "clever" reference to tires made in Asia. Came about because of some Marathon tires that had a manufacturing flaw that caused blow outs. It was a Goodyear brand, so I don't know why they aren't referred to as "U.S. bombs".
Too political to call them "U.S bombs". I got sniped for a response to you recently re: different views about the human condition: Canada vs U.S. Learned my 'lesson'.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Actual ply information! Yes, that's different from the ply rating. The LR-C Carlisles have 2 radial plies of polyester, and the tread has two additional belt plies of steel; the LR-D Goodyears have 2 radial plies of polyester plus 2 radial plies of nylon, and the tread has two additional belt plies of steel. I think both are probably common construction configurations in ST tires; it's commonly listed on the sidewall but not so often shown in published specs.

Additional or thicker or different material reinforcing layers (primarily in the sidewall) are needed for higher pressure and the resulting higher load capacity. If you don't need the load capacity, the extra plies are not really beneficial. They do make the sidewalls heat up more as they flex while rolling.

The Load Range G tires on my motorhome (Michelin XRV in 235/80R22.5 size) have a single ply sidewall (and I think three belts under the tread) to handle the 2120 kg (4675 lb) load per tire at 2120 kPa (110 PSI)... in steel. It would be possible to make a "unicycle" out of an Escape on a single one of these tires, and if that were done I wouldn't be worried about the sidewalls having only a single ply.

Interesting about the heat with added plies. One would think added plies would translate to better puncture resistance from more material and higher air pressure. But then again, a nail or rock at the right time and angle has done in brand new tires on my truck and they're at 80psi. With regards to heat, I tend to tow longer distances in cool conditions meaning fall, winter and spring as I head south in Oct/Nov and north in March. So maybe heat buildup won't be a big issue.. I'll move around a bit in the summer but for short distances and shorter duration tows.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
...Additional or thicker or different material reinforcing layers (primarily in the sidewall) are needed for higher pressure and the resulting higher load capacity. If you don't need the load capacity, the extra plies are not really beneficial. They do make the sidewalls heat up more as they flex while rolling.
I noticed right away that my new Goodyear Endurance tires ran warmer than the Carlisles they replaced. Thanks for explaining why.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
I noticed right away that my new Goodyear Endurance tires ran warmer than the Carlisles they replaced. Thanks for explaining why.
Out of curiosity...what tire pressure are you running your Goodyear tires at? Mine are at 65psi from the tire shop. Yet I'm wondering if that will be a harsh ride. But I'm leary of running them lower (under inflated).
Old 10-03-2021, 02:00 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Out of curiosity...what tire pressure are you running your Goodyear tires at? Mine are at 65psi from the tire shop. Yet I'm wondering if that will be a harsh ride. But I'm leary of running them lower (under inflated).
Attached perhaps of interest, this table excerpt from the Goodyear RV website as of this date which has additional and IMO useful information about adjusting tire pressure based on actual loading that's worth reading ...
Attached Thumbnails
LOAD INFLATION GOODYEAR ENDURANCE ST 06-16-2017.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Goodyear RV Tire Inflation.pdf (109.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #35

Quote:
The tire shop inflated them to 65psi and it was way too harsh for such a light trailer. I have settled on 45psi cold.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
The tire shop inflated them to 65psi and it was way too harsh for such a light trailer. I have settled on 45psi cold.
Thank you! I also found an informative forum thread here titled "Tire Advice 17b". It is excellent with respect to Goodyear Endurance tires and a psi to run. I should have searched earlier.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Thank you! I also found an informative forum thread here titled "Tire Advice 17b". It is excellent with respect to Goodyear Endurance tires and a psi to run. I should have searched earlier.
No problem! I wasn't going to ignore you. Besides if we only talked about a subject once this forum would die
Old 10-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021
I started this thread because someone mentioned they had replaced brand new Carlisles and wheels upon delivery. A little extreme don't ya think.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
I started this thread because someone mentioned they had replaced brand new Carlisles and wheels upon delivery. A little extreme don't ya think.
Yah, and if they'd lived near me I'd said "how much do you want for them?"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #40

Trailer: 2021
Dang, beat me to it Ron.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote