Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
The article describes a governor that caps the speed at which the e assist is on line at 20 mph which is a step in the right direction. 20 mph is still nearly twice the speed of the average recreational cyclist. I think 15 would be even more appropriate.
Do you folks that have ebikes have this feature on yours?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:55 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape 1721
The people for bikes non profit has a good explanation of the different ebike classifications and current regulations.

Electric Bicycles
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I am near settled on buying an ebike, for all the very good reasons already posted here. Being one whose age begins with a seven, I need more mobility plus exercise plus divertive fun. Really liking the Rad Mini because of reported design and build quality and because it folds up.

Issues remaining:
  • Max rider height is 6'2" and I'm 6'7". Seat height max is 36" but...hmm... if I add the Suntour SP12NCX that raises the bottom petal stroke length another 4 inches.
  • Folded length 44 inches x 29 inches high. Total length is 67 inches. Great for storage in the truck bed. But what if it is better to buy a bike rack for the trailer and use it, instead with the Rad Rover fat bike, which is 74.5" long? Not a fold up, but perhaps, at 66.5 pounds, vs 63.7 pounds, bigger/better... for the vertically unchallanged?
  • Prices nearly the same, but, the Trump tariffs went into effect August 23, 2018. Increases from zero to 25 percent for bikes, or from 4 to 29% on ebike motors, or both May wipe out any sale promotion savings.
Attached Thumbnails
RADbike.jpg  
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Myron,
I personally know what a tall fella you are, and I don’t quite have the image of you riding one of these. If you have this at Quartzsite this year I gotta get a pic of you riding this for the gathering recap.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #85

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I've ridden both and the thing I did not like about the Rad Mini was the shorter wheelbase. It doesn't track as well. I'm sure over time I'd get used to that (and will probably end up with one that short anyway) but if you are tall enough to easily ride the Rad Rover I think it would give a better ride. Folding is only so useful when it weighs so much, anyway- picking it up folded could be an issue (would be for me).
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #86

Trailer: Shopping 17B
IMPORTANT: There is a one day sale tomorrow Nov. 26th Best prices of the year are $300-400 off, plus $200 more total off when you buy 2. If you are in the market, buy early tomorrow.

These are truly life changing.

I own a 2018 RAD City with 700 miles, & I am familiar with their line up. There are many good ebikes, & many share the same components. RAD offers one of the best values and are well made. More like a Toyota than a Lexus.

The Rover is their most popular. It does well on the larger tires. It isn't a more powerful motor than the City, but it's motor design
(geared motor vs direct drive motor) may accelerate quicker. The mini accelerates quickly, in part due to smaller rims. Read reviews, some say a bit too quick. (?)

I like the City a lot. It's 2.3" tires fit the racks on City busses for extended range. The tires operate from 30-80 psi, and do very well on all surfaces except sloppy mud or snow. It climbs beveled curbs, is great on pavement, pea gravel, dirt, and it is ok on very coarse gravel. It comes with fenders and a rack. The Rover does not, the Mini has a rear rack, but no fenders. I plan to ride mine around destinations. I am older, if I bought again, I'd likely get the City Step-thru 2019 with dark gray paint. It is easier not to swing a leg over the seat.

It may not seem like it, but the weights are only a factor when loading, not when riding. You may want a ramp, or a way to lift one wheel at a time.

Click the bikes tab, then select "Cyber Monday"
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/electric-bikes
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #87

Larger diameter tires on the Rad Rover also caught my eye.
Hey now, Quartzsite Greg....
Attached Thumbnails
QuartzBLM2.jpg  
Old 11-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
The people I know who have bought an e-bike find themselves riding it more often and farther than they anticipated because they're having so much fun. That means it's crucial to prevent aches and injuries and optimize safety by getting whatever bike you buy to fit you just right.

The technicians at dedicated bike shops have the expertise to check the fit and adjust it appropriately for the buyer, and should do so at time of purchase. They also have the parts on hand to adjust the stem, bars, and other components to make your bike just right for you.

It's harder to ensure you're getting an appropriate bike and a good fit if you buy from a big box store, online retailer, or second-hand. An independent bike shop will be able to check and adjust the fit for you later. Although they will have lost the original sale, they will want to win you over as a service customer.

If you want or need to fine-tune the fit even further, some physiotherapists have training in bike fitting (and are usually ardent cyclists themselves) and charge CDN$150 for a 90-minute session with your bike on a trainer in their studio. This service includes a custom-designed set of exercises that will compliment your cycling, which is particularly helpful for those of us who already have back issues or other vulnerabilities.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The direct folding competitor to the Rad is the Voltbike which I have. It is also on sale today with free shipping and helmet. Also comes with fenders and front suspension.

I just measured the center of the seat to the ground is 41 inches and to the pedal is 36 inches.

I am very impressed with build quality.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #90

Agree that fit is important. There are multiple aspects. Foremost may be that your leg should be nearly, but not fully extended at the bottom of the pedal downstroke. Posture is personal preference. I prefer more upright, but you have more wind resistance. The motor handles it.

Also agree there are worthy competitors.

RAD is surprisingly service oriented, in my experience. They also partner with Velofix.com for service and assembly. Velofix is in larger cities, probablynot Edgewood, NM.

I got an email that says Cyber Monday sale starts at midnight pst. Bikes may well sell out.
Another brand could be plan B.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #91

Never thought I'd ever wish to be shorter, but...seems these bikes are all limited to a max person height of 6'2". Well at least I'm well under the 275 pound limitation. I need to find a Velofix so I can be properly fitted to the right size ebike before buying. Would hate making a $2K mistake. I am an upright person, so posture translates into comfort, wind issues be damned, since comfort means creating no back issues. Nearest one is either Denver or Tucson, though. Looking like I will miss out on the big sale.

Will now spend some time researching bike racks.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #92

Well, the good news, is you can get a 2019, with a few improvements. On some models, that includes an integrated tail and brake light. Nice. Also, tire liners are standard, that could solve a thorny problem. Also the wheel rims are reflective on many/all models.

I live in Denver, and Velofix is great here. But it is 20 degrees here this morning, so I am tempted to meet you in Tucson. [kidding]

Sale started at Midnight, and I have no doubts they had a lot of inventory. I'd guess 100s of every model. At 6:00am pst it appears all are sold out except Rovers, their top seller.

During warm months they were frequently selling out in one day, Thursdays.

PS, No matter what you get, if it fits, you will love it. Check out the taller RAD City.

Checkout this Facebook group, for rack recommendations:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/radpowerowners/
Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #93

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Never thought I'd ever wish to be shorter, but...seems these bikes are all limited to a max person height of 6'2". Well at least I'm well under the 275 pound limitation. I need to find a Velofix so I can be properly fitted to the right size ebike before buying. Would hate making a $2K mistake. I am an upright person, so posture translates into comfort, wind issues be damned, since comfort means creating no back issues. Nearest one is either Denver or Tucson, though. Looking like I will miss out on the big sale.

Will now spend some time researching bike racks.
If you are having trouble finding an ebike to fit your body, you may want to consider buying a regular bike and retrofitting an ebike kit onto it. I took that route a couple years ago with my own bike and it worked out quite well.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #94

A suggestion, Check out the RAD City 19" frame, which has a 31" standover ground height and says it is suitable for riders from 5' 11" to 6' 6". The separate FAQ section for the 19" City says the seat post height ranges from 28.75" to 38" as measured from bottom of pedal stroke to top of seat.

Want more height? Then just purchase a Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seatpost which adds an inch or so. You can find it in RADs Accesories. Search the web for reviews and various prices. Non-suspension seatpost extensions are also available.

I encourage you or anyone considering an ebike to peruse RAD's website thoroughly.
The enthusiasm found on individual bike reviews, and reviews under Community is no exageration.

RAD's page for the City stress new higher rise handlebars and longer stem that provide a more comfortable upright position. I can confirm this, and between seat adjustment and the stem length and angle, this bike is highly adjustable for a wide range of riders. Also check out the Sizing tab on the City page. If they weren't so adjustable, sizing would matter more. On the Sizing page, look at the handlbar stem. First you can vary the stem height. Then, mid stem you can adjust the angle. Finally at the top you can adjust handlebar pitch. People also ask about the weight. It's a non-issue except for loading.

If you find a bike locally with similar geometry, try it. The motor won't matter for this. With a bike so highly adjustable, much of the value of a fitting is to adjust it to you, not switch frames. That's true of many bikes.

If you ride on pea gravel, dirt trails, or pavement, you will be happy with the City, its fenders that work, & exceptional welded rack with threaded lugs for accesories like child seats. Same on front lugs mounted to the frme, not handlebars. Remember the tires say you can run them from 30-80psi, and they fit racks on transit busses. Lower psi increases traction and softens ride.

If you plan on riding single track over rocks and fallen trees, through mud and deep snow, or loose beach sand, check out the size of the Rover.

You can find many reviews on web and YouTube.

Here are RAD owner comments on the Suntour SP12 [you may need to join]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/radp...suntour%20sp12
Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #95

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the Rad mini. i love it i use my normal bike rack but i got fat tire holders on it. i remove the battery to decrease weight when loading.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #96

There's no ebike services anywhere near me. Anyway, instead of a fold-up one thinking now the bigger standard bike I can easily lift onto a rack in the back is a more practical choice for my 2XXL size. Prefer the fat (4"W) tire since boonie trail riding interests me the most.

I thought about and checked out cobbing together a manual bike into an ebike, would be a great winter project for me but, naa.... just currently not into it.

Well I missed the big sale day and now Rad Rovers are out of stock. Emailed them for notification when the new 2019 models are in and, asked if they can make a Rad Rover fit a guy my size. Also liking the Volt bikes a lot, and doing my best to stay calm and rational. (You know what I'm talking about... "when you want the car you want the car!")
Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #97

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Many of you know that I love to build stuff for cheap and restore jeeps. By the time you purchase a new aluminium fat tire bike and all the bits to make it a hodgepodge electric bike...it is just not worth it. And yes I would never own a non fat tire or non electric bike again. The fat tires just go everywhere possible in the outdoor camping world.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #98

Roger that, Eggscape. A more fun build project for me might be building my own custom bike rack. Thinking after cutting the metal parts I got my guy who will do the welding.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #99

After you join the Facebook RAD Power Bike Owners group you'll find you can search many topics. Note, they don't verify ownership.

If I were you, I'd search "bike racks" "Tall rider" Very tall" -things like that.

RAD sells the Hollywood rack, So do others.

Toward the bottom of the menu along the left side is a Shortcut to:
"Local Support Map - RAD...

This is a map of some owners in your area willing to let you test ride their bike. There are two in Albuquerque.

You can also pose a question within the owners group. I would ask if someone within 50 or 100 miles of Edgewood owns whatever model you'd like to ride.

You can solve this. You'll be happy when you do. Enjoy.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #100

How to size an ebike

Text with a video.

https://blog.radpowerbikes.com/how-to-size-an-ebike?