FOP SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade Kit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
FOP SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade Kit

I haven't installed it yet, but I thought I'd post some photos/first impressions of the SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade kit from Fabulous Operating Products.

The fan is well packaged with cardboard inserts and bubble wrap to keep all components undamaged. (Photo 1)

The components consist of the fan assembly, a metal cover for the new wiring, a new exhaust vent, a closed cell adhesive backed foam gasket, installation and operating instructions, and mounting hardware. (Photo 2)

The next photo is from the left side of the fan assembly. You can see the circuit breaker and the 3 position switch used to control the fan speed. There's also a 2 position switch on the other side (visible in photo 4), to change the LED light from low to high. (Photo 3)

Next is the bottom of the assembly, with the front to the left and the exhaust to the right. You can see the vent gate slide lever, the grease filter, and the enclosed LED light strip. (Photo 4)

The next photo shows the operation of the vent gate slider. No more outside flap to open and close. Simply slide the lever from inside to open or close the vent. The included outside vent is not required if you want to keep the stock one, but I like the look of it so I'm going to swap it out. (Photo 5)

Last is a shot of the bottom of the assembly with the grease filter removed. The filter is secured with tabs and a threaded stainless thumb screw. There's also a micro switch that pops up when the grease filter is not in place, preventing the fan from running. The fan is a ball bearing type squirrel cage fan - not a blade fan. It's heavy and it spins smoothly. It should move a ton of air compared to the weak stock fan, and be much quieter. (Photo 6)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2188.jpg   IMG_2189.jpg   IMG_2191.jpg   IMG_2192.jpg   IMG_2194.jpg  

IMG_2195.jpg  
Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I haven't installed it yet, but I thought I'd post some photos/first impressions of the SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade kit from Fabulous Operating Products.

The fan is well packaged with cardboard inserts and bubble wrap to keep all components undamaged. (Photo 1)

The components consist of the fan assembly, a metal cover for the new wiring, a new exhaust vent, a closed cell adhesive backed foam gasket, installation and operating instructions, and mounting hardware. (Photo 2)

The next photo is from the left side of the fan assembly. You can see the circuit breaker and the 3 position switch used to control the fan speed. There's also a 2 position switch on the other side (visible in photo 4), to change the LED light from low to high. (Photo 3)

Next is the bottom of the assembly, with the front to the left and the exhaust to the right. You can see the vent gate slide lever, the grease filter, and the enclosed LED light strip. (Photo 4)

The next photo shows the operation of the vent gate slider. No more outside flap to open and close. Simply slide the lever from inside to open or close the vent. The included outside vent is not required if you want to keep the stock one, but I like the look of it so I'm going to swap it out. (Photo 5)

Last is a shot of the bottom of the assembly with the grease filter removed. The filter is secured with tabs and a threaded stainless thumb screw. There's also a micro switch that pops up when the grease filter is not in place, preventing the fan from running. The fan is a ball bearing type squirrel cage fan - not a blade fan. It's heavy and it spins smoothly. It should move a ton of air compared to the weak stock fan, and be much quieter. (Photo 6)
Looks very nice Robert . Now that you posted some pictures looks real familiar . That was what we had on motorhome . You operated the vent from inside and it had the squirrel cage not fan blade. Some more improvements though . Would you believe the motorhome was a 1980 . So they have gotten cheaper with these vents over the years . Please post more pictures when you get it installed . After I get a few things paid for , since we cook with our oven may go for this myself . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Along with a couple minor mods, I installed the SAM-1 Conversion today. No wonder the tin box couldn't vent air. You should see what poor quality is was. Anyway, the SAM-1 moves alot of air at three different speeds, and is very quiet. The LED strip that's built in has low and high. High is very bright, and low is suitable for a night light. I'll post some photos and installation details tomorrow, but for now, I'm tired.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Here's a photo of the old tin box I removed. Not even a "box", just three sides of flimsy sheet metal and a pitiful (but noisy) fan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Some photos of the fan installed. First with the light on low, second with the light on high. Another of the new exterior vent. The exterior vent does have to be trimmed so the flange that protrudes inside is only 1/2" - just like Escape did with the original Ventline vent cover. That's because the walls are very thin and the vent covers are designed for 1 1/2" or so of wall thickness. The amount of air this moves is impressive. If you stand outside anywhere within 6 feet of the vent, even on low, you can feel the exhaust air blowing on you. Super quiet too.

The wiring was a bit tricky, but Larry at F.O.P. is great and he walked me through it in a minute or two. He supplies a wiring harness with a plug on one side and crimp connectors on the other, so all you have to do is make sure the light wire, the fan wire, and the ground wire are crimped on the right color wire on the harness.

The hard part is re-installing the hood and getting the screws to line up. All in all, very satisfied with this product.
Attached Thumbnails
20161002_135805.jpg   20161002_135818.jpg   20161002_135618.jpg  
Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Some photos of the fan installed. First with the light on low, second with the light on high. Another of the new exterior vent. The exterior vent does have to be trimmed so the flange that protrudes inside is only 1/2" - just like Escape did with the original Ventline vent cover. That's because the walls are very thin and the vent covers are designed for 1 1/2" or so of wall thickness. The amount of air this moves is impressive. If you stand outside anywhere within 6 feet of the vent, even on low, you can feel the exhaust air blowing on you. Super quiet too.

The wiring was a bit tricky, but Larry at F.O.P. is great and he walked me through it in a minute or two. He supplies a wiring harness with a plug on one side and crimp connectors on the other, so all you have to do is make sure the light wire, the fan wire, and the ground wire are crimped on the right color wire on the harness.

The hard part is re-installing the hood and getting the screws to line up. All in all, very satisfied with this product.
Very nice Robert ! Pat
Old 10-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Here's a photo of the old tin box I removed. Not even a "box", just three sides of flimsy sheet metal and a pitiful (but noisy) fan.

It looks like yours original hood was one of the ones that has the re-circulation type hood. It's a loosing battle. Half the air moved by the fan comes right back into the interior and the other half isn't enough to force the flap open.

It's not so much that the fan is pitiful, it's the design. Simply putting tape over the unneeded and unwanted opening (where the stick is protruding) made the difference between it being able to open the flap without it having to be pinned open.

Your mod is a definite improvement in some ways but for those who don't want to go to that length and expense a little tape will improve the situation.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20-04-2016 4-47-24 PM_0003_resize.JPG   20-04-2016 4-54-11 PM_0004_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It looks like yours original hood was one of the ones that has the re-circulation type hood. It's a loosing battle. Half the air moved by the fan comes right back into the interior and the other half isn't enough to force the flap open.

It's not so much that the fan is pitiful, it's the design. Simply putting tape over the unneeded and unwanted opening (where the stick is protruding) made the difference between it being able to open the flap without it having to be pinned open.

Your mod is a definite improvement in some ways but for those who don't want to go to that length and expense a little tape will improve the situation.

Ron
Hi Ron . I noticed looking at new RV's for whatever reason ,no charcoal filter . I removed mine and now the flap opens all the way . I also put fan up a little higher by attaching fan legs on top ,inside of bottom where they were originally attached . There was tape on vent hole . I am not worried having removed charcoal filer because there still is a screen . We don't cook greasy foods in trailer anyway . Robert's vent mod sure is nicer especially the light . But you do have to ask yourself can I spend my money on something else I need more ? But it is a quality improvement for some . Pat
Old 10-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like the kit is a pretty good product, good install. If you cook inside all the time and the fan doesn't really work then might be worth $200 for the upgrade kit.
Our fan works pretty well, no charcoal filter was in it from ETI, and we hardly ever cook inside so not a mod that would make our list.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Ours was taped too Ron - some shiny silver tape over the hole. I just removed it before I took the photo.

Still, not enough air volume to open the flap. We also nixed the charcoal filter and the vent would open about half way.

It wasn't just the venting though, but the noise. This new fan moves about 10 times as much air as the old one when it's set on low (has 3 speeds). Even on high I'd say it's about 80% quieter than the stock fan.

This mod may not be for everyone, but it's a definite improvement.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It wasn't just the venting though, but the noise. This new fan moves about 10 times as much air as the old one when it's set on low (has 3 speeds). Even on high I'd say it's about 80% quieter than the stock fan.
Agreed. We are very happy with the mod. This is a serious fan (squirrel cage design) not just for cooking, but for users that might be looking for a trailer ventilator too. Obviously for many the MaxxFan is plenty, but others (without A/C?) might be looking to move more air at a decent noise level. We started with a rare fully recirculating range hood (read: useless noisemaker) that ETI used for just a short while, so this mod was a no-brainer! The two level LED is a bonus. The lower level is a perfect nightlight. Love the indoor slide damper and high quality exterior vent too.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I also completed the mod to replace the stock noise maker with the SAM upgrade. I also wanted to eliminate the gap between the fan housing and the side of the trailer due to the curve of the trailer wall. I made a plywood filler piece to fill this gap. Maybe the newer trailers with the straight sides won't have this issue. New fan is much quieter, way more powerful and a better light.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6544.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I also completed the mod to replace the stock noise maker with the SAM upgrade. I also wanted to eliminate the gap between the fan housing and the side of the trailer due to the curve of the trailer wall. I made a plywood filler piece to fill this gap. Maybe the newer trailers with the straight sides won't have this issue. New fan is much quieter, way more powerful and a better light.
Looks good Chris. Since I also changed out the stock exterior vent cover with the one that came with the kit, I needed to take a Dremel to the exhaust piece and trimmed maybe 1/2" off. Then I used a piece of closed cell foam as a "gasket".
Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Mmmmm this design still isn't it.... (even though I haven't seen one yet). On big thing for me is that I don't want my hood sticking out so far from underneath the upper cabinet. Maybe I don't understand this mod .... is the mod for the fan + box + new light that is just re-inserted into the original hood body? There is nothing I like about this hood. I'm tall enough to ram my head into it.

Someone posted pictures from a brochure of a hood of European manufacture (I think). It had rounded sides and front, looked to be about half as thick (vertically) as the one Escape uses and it looked much narrower (horizontally) .;.. ie less protruding out from under the upper shelf base.

Anyone remember seeing what I'm trying to describe? I can't find it but seems like I saw it on this forum 3 - 4 years ago.

I'm thumbs down on the cheezy hood, fan and light that Escape is installing. I'm not down on Escape however... and think they have done a wonderful job. I'm really proud of my trailer but also don't think that their range hood comes up to anywheres near the quality of the rest of the trailer.

Wish I could find the one I saw,
Tom

Sorry if I seem extra grouchy tonight .... I am working on my income tax ....
Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Mmmmm this design still isn't it.... (even though I haven't seen one yet). On big thing for me is that I don't want my hood sticking out so far from underneath the upper cabinet. Maybe I don't understand this mod .... is the mod for the fan + box + new light that is just re-inserted into the original hood body? There is nothing I like about this hood. I'm tall enough to ram my head into it.

Someone posted pictures from a brochure of a hood of European manufacture (I think). It had rounded sides and front, looked to be about half as thick (vertically) as the one Escape uses and it looked much narrower (horizontally) .;.. ie less protruding out from under the upper shelf base.

Anyone remember seeing what I'm trying to describe? I can't find it but seems like I saw it on this forum 3 - 4 years ago.

I'm thumbs down on the cheezy hood, fan and light that Escape is installing. I'm not down on Escape however... and think they have done a wonderful job. I'm really proud of my trailer but also don't think that their range hood comes up to anywheres near the quality of the rest of the trailer.

Tom

Hi Tom I have seen the vent hood in high end RV's and new Airstreams . I don't know how well they work but I do like there looks . Pat
Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Tom I have seen the vent hood in high end RV's and new Airstreams . I don't know how well they work but I do like there looks . Pat
Tom , one of the names in Airstream 's is Baraldi. It can be bought at Airstream store for
$343.71 . Pat
Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
!

Quote:

Tom

Working on your income tax is enough to make anyone grouchy!!!
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

A long discussion was Range Hood, although it was only last year. This unit may be one of the Dometic or Camec units Jim showed in post #50.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Tom
Tom, like Brian linked to, I had looked into two different ones. The Camec is out out Australia, and while I sat pondering they decided it was not worth the effort to ship internationally. I tried a few other sources to no avail. The other was a Dometic one, available now in Europe, and was supposed to be available in NA earlier last year, then when I contacted them last summer it was maybe 4th quarter, and now it is no longer mentioned on their site, so must have abandoned it.

I did also look into the one that Airstream sells, but for the cost I determined from reviews that it was not real effective either, though it is much better than the Heng or Ventline offerings, in looks and performance.

As you probably realize, the main reason the hood protrudes as much as it does, is so it is over front burners. The cheap type of hood fan is just about all that is readily available for use in the RV industry, where most mass manufactured components are rather cheap. Most of these components cost very little to buy in bulk, and quality components (sinks, taps, stoves, furnaces, and so on) are on average likely 4-10 times the cost, which really adds up and prices an RV out of many peoples reach. Escape IS slowly converting some of these components to something of better quality, and who knows, one day maybe the range hood will be the same.

Also in your case with the 17 Tom, is that you have a much narrower aisle and the hood fan protrusion is much more pronounced.

For us, a good hood fan is a must, and I too do not like the loud drone of the cheap ineffective ones. After much research and coming up short on a good product to buy, I decided I would just build my own using the SAM-1 as the guts. I bought the SAM-1 kit ages ago in anticipation of going that way. I have abandoned the idea of building a wood one to match the cabinets, as I feel it would look to big and bulky, and decided that maybe I would have a nice clean stainless steel one made to order locally and insert the SAM-1, that is until I got a couple quotes, which were $400 and $550. What I ended up doing was buying a 20" stainless steel Ventline which I feel is a bit better than the Heng and is easier to install the kit in. It actually just arrived yesterday.

Other than a few work projects to do in the next couple months, I have cleared all the other projects I have on the go (and soon will have my shop cleared), and will be diving into my trailer finishing soon here, and put all these components together.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:

Robert,

Did you remove the stock hood with fan in order to make this mod on a work bench or was it done while the hood remained attached to the underside of the cabinet?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote