Towing Mirrors - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #61

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Is that Amazon item a flat and a convex? I saw it but couldn't tell from the description.
They were both flat and that is what I wanted. I was a transit operator of 60 foot articulated buses in Seattle for 6 years. I would never drive a big rig without a flat mirror on both sides. Ideally both flat and convex on the right at a minimum. Since we are talking clip-on tow mirrors, the stock passenger mirror is already convex, therefore I want a flat mirror to add to it. One cannot accurately judge the distance to the trailer's rear bumper or wheels with a convex mirror. Personally I consider it unsafe to have only a convex mirror when towing a trailer.

That being said, new mirrors from Cipa have just come out that offer both. If they had been available last year when I bought my Areo's I would have purchased them instead. I still might.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...id=20164179562
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
They were both flat and that is what I wanted. I was a transit operator of 60 foot articulated buses in Seattle for 6 years. I would never drive a big rig without a flat mirror on both sides. Ideally both flat and convex on the right at a minimum. Since we are talking clip-on tow mirrors, the stock passenger mirror is already convex, therefore I want a flat mirror to add to it. One cannot accurately judge the distance to the trailer's rear bumper or wheels with a convex mirror. Personally I consider it unsafe to have only a convex mirror when towing a trailer.

That being said, new mirrors from Cipa have just come out that offer both. If they had been available last year when I bought my Areo's I would have purchased them instead. I still might.

Let me put it another way: If I have three standard parking spaces available on a city street, I can parallel park my tow and trailer. I would not be able to do that with only a convex mirror on the passenger side.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-05-2017, 01:28 AM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi Jon,

If I didn't already have Areo's I would get these.

They are a new product from Cipa. I had the convex Cipa's before and found they actually fit my Tacoma better than the Areo. But I also prefer flat mirrors. This new model has both.
I used to have CIPA strap-on mirror extenders and found them frustrating because they vibrated so much and also I had to adjust them each time I put them on. So I was looking for the AERO's to replace them, but couldn't find them locally. What I did find were the clip-on CIPA mirrors and love them, especially at only $40 Canadian each (CAP-IT offered a discount when I bought the pair). They don't vibrate and when I align them with a mark I made on my Tundra's mirrors they don't need any adjusting. I'm sure the AERO's are better, but I was going to have to pay about 3 times as much for them.

Here is a picture from a previous thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post167633

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I used to have CIPA strap-on mirror extenders and found them frustrating because they vibrated so much and also I had to adjust them each time I put them on. So I was looking for the AERO's to replace them, but couldn't find them locally. What I did find were the clip-on CIPA mirrors and love them, especially at only $40 Canadian each (CAP-IT offered a discount when I bought the pair). They don't vibrate and when I align them with a mark I made on my Tundra's mirrors they don't need any adjusting. I'm sure the AERO's are better, but I was going to have to pay about 3 times as much for them.

Here is a picture from a previous thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post167633

Bob K
That's good to know. Thanks!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'd check with Dometic before buying - I looked at the mirrors & talked with one of their reps at last winter's Quartzsite Big Tent sale, and the mirrors they were offering were both convex. I tried to talk them into offering a package of one of each, but they were not interested. I asked it a single flat mirror "head" only (no arms) was available and they said no.

Maybe things have changed, but if you want flat I suggest you look at a sample before purchasing on line...
Yes, I think you are correct that the DM-2912 is convex. I didn't talk to Dometic, but there are indications that this is indeed the case.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #66

Milenco Grand Aero Flat Mirrors

I sent an email to Milenco the other day about getting flat mirrors in the States and haven't received a response.

In the meantime, I learned you can buy a set of flat mirrors from the UK for about $120 USD.

PAIR of Milenco Grand Aero Caravan Car Towing Flat Glass Mirrors Tow Mirror | eBay
Old 06-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #67

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Weighing in on the flat/convex discussion -- I hate the convex mirrors as standard on almost every new/newish vehicle sold nowadays. I've considered cutting a piece of flat mirror to glue over the "standard" right side mirrors!

On the broader topic of trailer mirrors: two years ago I bought, on the basis of recommendations from others on this forum, Milenco Aeros. Pricy, almost $200 (Cdn), but worth it, I felt. Last fall I went hunting for another pair as a gift for a family member, and the price on Amazon.ca, the only source I found selling them Canada, was almost $500!! Ridiculous. Was told that Dometic bought them out? Finally ended up buying a set on eBay, $185 Cdn all told, shipping etc.

Last week we were camping with my brother-in-law, who had a mirror set from Lordco, a Western Canadian auto parts retailer, that looked the same type as Milenco's, I.e. Same mounting system. I rode in his GMC Canyon, and they vibrated even less than the minimal vibration at speed of my Milenco's. Construction quality appeared as good as the Milenco's, but time will tell.

$50 Cdn!! I checked at my local Lordco yesterday but they didn't know about them, will check for me (brand, supplier). I will check back in when I find out more.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
I sent an email to Milenco the other day about getting flat mirrors in the States and haven't received a response.

In the meantime, I learned you can buy a set of flat mirrors from the UK for about $120 USD.

PAIR of Milenco Grand Aero Caravan Car Towing Flat Glass Mirrors Tow Mirror | eBay
This is where I bought my flat replacement head.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't know what's with Amazon.ca.
I don't buy a lot online, but Amazon.ca prices are generally ridiculous. It's not that they are expensive, it's that they are stupid expensive and I can't imagine anything sells.
I got my Milenco mirrors from the U.K. and paid ( if I recall ) about $130 including shipping.
How much they vibrate is determined by the OEM mirror housing, IMO.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #70

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't know what's with Amazon.ca.
I don't buy a lot online, but Amazon.ca prices are generally ridiculous. It's not that they are expensive, it's that they are stupid expensive and I can't imagine anything sells.
It depends what you're looking for. Amazon Canada is nearly the only online supplier I use, and for some items they - Amazon itself or other sellers - are the least expensive source. The ridiculous prices I see on Amazon.ca are often for items that I first found on Amazon.com; it almost seems like some Amazon sellers hope that Canadian shoppers will choose items on Amazon.com and then order from Amazon.ca without looking at the price (which would be idiotic).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #71

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
Know a question about towing mirrors and Highlanders has been asked before, but I'd really like to hear from any one else who has had experience with the Milenco Grand Arrow--specifically on later model Highlanders (we have a 2017--not sure if mirror style has changed from earlier models). There have been several comments made about how tight a fit it is on the Highlander and I've seen a few comments on this and some reviews saying that it doesn't fit. Any other experience out there others can share? Thanks so much.
Linda
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #72

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
This is Linda again asking about towing mirrors and Highlanders. I'm also interested in any other mirrors folks have tried with later model Highlanders, beyond the Grand Aero. Thanks.
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by linheu View Post
This is Linda again asking about towing mirrors and Highlanders. I'm also interested in any other mirrors folks have tried with later model Highlanders, beyond the Grand Aero. Thanks.
We have a 2012 Highlander with the Grand Aero's. Although they do the job, there is a lot more vibration than I expected.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #74

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We purchased a pair of CIPA Model 11960 towing mirrors on sale at Camping World a few years back for our 2002 Highlander. They work fine once you learn the intricacies of putting them on. When mounted correctly, they stay in place, don't vibrate much at all, but they do whistle a bit at 65 mph or above. We used a Sharpe to mark them driver side ("D") and passenger side ("P"). I don't see them listed on the CW website anymore, but they are still listed on the CIPA website.
11960 Universal Towing Mirror | CIPA USA, Inc.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #75

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Picked up my 17B a week and a half ago. (Of course:love it)

Towing with a 2017 Highlander, am disappointed not to have better awareness of where my trailer's back corner is, and how if changing lanes on a curve I quickly lose perspective on what traffic may be coming up from behind, in the lane I am moving into.

Had gotten some last-minute "tow-mirrors", which were useless. I could adjust them vertically/up-and-down, but their horizontal angle was set based on the casement of my car's sideview mirror.

Can the Grand Aero mirrors be adjusted horizontally, (as well as vertically)?
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post

Can the Grand Aero mirrors be adjusted horizontally, (as well as vertically)?
Yes. The mirror mounts on a ball pivot in the end of an arm and can be adjusted in all directions. They worked well for us on our 2010 Tacoma and now on our 2016 Highlander. On our Highlander model they have to be mounted on the bottom of the mirror - on top the OEM mirror hits the mounting clamps.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #77

Grand Aero can be adjusted every-which-way, and are independent of the vehicle mirror adjustment.
I adjust the GAs so that I can see some of the trailer and way down the adjacent lane and then I adjust my vehicle mirrors for near view.
They fasten to the vehicle mirror housing and you may have to mess about a bit to find the spot where they are secure, but not interfering with the vehicle mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Aero 1.jpg   Grand Aero 2.jpg   Milenco .jpg  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #78

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Thanks!!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #79

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Susan, Others might argue against this for various reasons of their own, but even with the wide outside rear-view mirrors on our full-sized F-150 pickup, we like traveling with a wireless rear-view camera mounted inside the rear window of our 21'. The camera is powered from a 12V DC outlet under the dinette, and it sends a wireless video signal to a monitor inside our tow vehicle powered by a 12V DC outlet in the dash. While driving, I keep track of what's behind us using the mirrors, and my wife keeps track of things behind us on the video monitor. The biggest help is knowing when someone has come right up behind us on our rear bumper without me seeing them in the mirrors. Her perspective from the camera is also useful knowing when I'm far enough past someone to safely change lanes. We started using a rear-view camera when pulling our 88" wide EggCamper with our Highlander, and now I can't imagine us traveling without it, even now towing with the much wider mirrors on our F-150.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Susan, Others might argue against this for various reasons of their own
Pays to anticipate.