Hello from Northern California - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Hello from Northern California

Hello everyone!

I'm the new owner of a 2014 Escape 19. My wife and I have extensive camping experience, but only in ground tents and an offroad tent trailer. Since many of our friends have gotten into "glamping" with cabovers and travel trailers, we finally decided that we wanted to join in.

Originally we were looking for a Casita, but the more I researched the more I knew that we wanted an Escape - especially since the 19 is essentially the smallest and lightest tandem axle option out there. We don't currently have the optimal tow rig (2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with extensive offroad mods) but the Escape sure did tow nicely on the 300 mile maiden voyage home from its purchase, despite the engine not having enough beans for the steep grades.

We don't plan to drag this trailer on anything rougher than a gravel road, but I might eventually make some suspension and tire upgrades to improve its ability to handle some backcountry adventures. For now, I'll just be reading and researching everything there is to know about our new toy.
Attached Thumbnails
JeepEscape.jpg  
rubicon4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
I like your set up! I think you could go anywhere you want! Congratulations on your purchase.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Congrats! The classic 19 is a really nice trailer. Any questions just ask. Check out my mod list thread in my signature if you want any ideas for potential upgrades.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #4

That's a lot of awesome information you've compiled. I love this forum! Thanks for the tips, we'll keep your expertise in mind as we start upgrading ours.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hello! And a hearty welcome from a fellow Nor Cal Escaper! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Congratulations on joining the family! I'm sure you have great Escape times in your future.

If you're going to be on lots of gravel roads there is one easy and quick upgrade I'd recommend. Some folks have had issues with the plastic zip ties holding the brake wires along the axles breaking under the assault of kicked up rocks and gravel. I've doubled up the plastic zip ties with stainless steel zip ties at each of their locations. I haven't had a plastic tie fail (yet) but they are showing signs of wear and damage. The stainless ties just have bumps and dings.

Stainless ties are usually available at your local large chain hardware store or online. Not being as thin as I once was (back before the crust of the Earth cooled I've been told) I commissioned my grandson to wiggle under and put them in place. He made a few bucks, learned something, and I got to supervise from outside the tires.

Safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

Thanks Doug, that's a great tip. I always carry spare zip ties with me, but the metal ones (or better yet - hose clamps) would be pretty much failsafe. Like you, I'm going to need to find someone skinnier than I am to get under there.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Welcome, from a fellow new Escape owner in Norcal. That's a nice looking rig! I can assure you that you've made a great decision...I've had lots of different RV's, and after years of experience and trials and research, I finally decided on an Escape for my "forever" trailer. You just saved yourself a ton of time and headache and went right to the promised land! I've had mine since early this year, and I couldn't be happier with it...
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Thanks for the encouragement! I know that Escape trailers command a premium, but the consensus is that the money is worth it.

As a side note, we're also homeowners in SLT; ours was supposedly one of the homes saved from the Caldor fire, while others 1/8-mile away were burnt to the ground. We haven't yet been allowed back to our property to verify reports. I hope your home was spared not just from the fire, but also from any smoke damage. At least we have bugout vehicles for the next time we're both compelled to evacuate!