Hello - Interest in an E19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2024, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19 F1 (ordered)
Hello - Interest in an E19

Hello - New to the forum and to Escape, but not new to fiberglass hulled "egg" style campers.

I’ve been camping for 20+ years and previously owned an excellent Casita 17" Spirit Deluxe purchased new in 2013. I sold it in March of 2023 for a new (2023) stick built Winnebago Micro Minnie. What a mistake that was. I was seduced by the larger size, upgraded appliances (mainly a microwave and 12V compressor fridge), and the perceived extra comfort and space that the WB offered over the Casita. All this “goodness” came at a price.

It only took about a week to realize the quality level was WAY below what I was accustomed to in the Casita. The interior is put together with paneling and held in place by staples. The plumbing is a complete joke. All the campers from Elkhart, Indiana - Thor/Forest River/Winnebago etc. - use PEX for their longer runs of plumbing – which is great. What is not so good is that when close to a pump/faucet/shower or appliance connection that has vinyl, the correct union from PEX to vinyl is never used. Typically, the vinyl is simply placed over a PEX fitting and secured with a PEX cinch clam. These leak - some immediately and some over time. PEX fittings are simply not spec’d to be used with ANY size/type of vinyl.

I, likely, don’t camp as often as most of y'all. But when I do, I want to be in a quality trailer not having to deal with problems because of shoddy workmanship or poor design. I use my camper exclusively in the pursuit of my lifelong hobby of amateur astronomy. In October of 2023 after 6 months of ownership, I was fortunate to sell my WB Micro Minnie for about ⅔ of what I paid for it.

I’ve read through the forums and one thing that strikes me is that mechanical systems of plumbing and electrical (including solar) seem well put together. Sure, mods can be made, but the bones seem quite good. And, the fit/finish is an order of magnitude better than the stick builts. I am also considering an Oliver, but I’m not a 4-season camper so the “double-hull” feature of the Oliver with the added expense that brings would be lost on me. I just want something with better appliances and a more premium feel than a Casita, with all the benefits of a fiberglass hull. I think Escape checks many of the boxes.

Escape is closed until next week and some of my questions would be best answered by them. But, typically, how long does it take to receive a trailer after the order is placed and build sheet is finalized? There are a couple of “in stock” campers that have most of the options that I would want. Has anyone ever purchased an “in stock” Escape?

Thanks, and best regards.

Paul
peleuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peleuba View Post
but I’m not a 4-season camper so the “double-hull” feature of the Oliver with the added expense that brings would be lost on me. I just want something with better appliances and a more premium feel than a Casita, with all the benefits of a fiberglass hull. I think Escape checks many of the boxes.
I’d say this sums up an Escape fitting you well. I don’t know current lead times. ETI’s inventory units sell fairly fast.

There are several amateur astronomers on the forum.

Welcome. This forum is a huge plus for owning an Escape. The support here is excellent. We occasionally get on each others nerves like any ‘family,’ but generally everyone here is willing to help.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Howdy—Always happy to see another Marylander (I grew up in Maryland, though I've lived in New England ever since I was 17, but still think of MD as 'home').

Like many here, we are former Casita owners, wanting a little more space in a molded-fiberglass trailer. Escape fits the bill nicely.

Escape Trailer (ETI) used to have a 'Lead Times' page on their website, but since they revised the site I can't find it.

If you go the the 'See an Escape' page, you can sign up to see an Escape in your area. They'll put you in touch with an owner or two:

https://escapetrailer.com/view-an-escape-trailer/
Old 01-03-2024, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’d say this sums up an Escape fitting you well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Like many here, we are former Casita owners, wanting a little more space in a molded-fiberglass trailer. Escape fits the bill nicely.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcome.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Hi peleuba. I purchased a E19 inventory trailer and am having it delivered in March. It was during the Black Friday sale. ETI was very easy to work with; the salesman Kyle answered my queries quickly and was very helpful. I had several changes made to the inventory trailer and these were done at 'cost', meaning the item's cost was subtracted from the trailers total cost without any extra fees. So, if you see an inventory trailer that's close to what you want, some of the hardware can be swapped out or added as per the price list in the online trailer configurator. Obviously fabrics and flooring is treated differently and I do believe extra costs are applied for that. I assume removal of AC or DC outlets would also be problematic since that would leave holes in walls.
I had the microwave removed and the fridge switched to a 12Vdc compressor type. I also added spray foam insulation. I had the inverter and batteries removed and will select my own - I love tinkering with that stuff.
The whole purchase process was smooth and polite. Still, its a leap of faith, this whole remote online/over the phone purchase thing. Never have done that before.
Last thing - this forum is absolutely great. Lots of good information, tips, and lessons-learned. Let me know if you have any questions.

Garry
Garry George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry George View Post
Hi peleuba. I purchased a E19 inventory trailer and am having it delivered in March.
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to discussing a purchase with a rep from Escape.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
If you want one without the wait on the Escapetrailer.com website there is an inventory section of new trailers for sale and preowned trailers. Bigfoot is another brand you might want to consider for a quality fibreglass trailer.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
If you want one without the wait on the Escapetrailer.com website there is an inventory section of new trailers for sale and preowned trailers. Bigfoot is another brand you might want to consider for a quality fibreglass trailer.
Bigfoot trailers are really nice. They are 4 season so heavier. It is wider at 8' so gives you more room which you liked about the Winnebago. Nicely finished as well but more expensive than an Escape
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Our first Escape was an in-stock one. We later ordered a larger Escape with a bathroom . I think the whole process from making the in-stock purchase to receiving it, was somewhere between one month and two months. Our payment had to clear and there was a few small choices/options left to the buyer (in our case we got the optional spray-foam insulation and some extra reading lights). And they did some final finishing-off. Then we had to get onto their delivery truck schedule. The first time we ever saw an Escape in person was when ours was delivered!

I think from your post, that you would love an Escape. It's an interesting story of how you went from Casita to the disappointing Winnie and now to this inquiry.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Bigfoot trailers are really nice. They are 4 season so heavier. It is wider at 8' so gives you more room which you liked about the Winnebago. Nicely finished as well but more expensive than an Escape
Micro Minis are 7’ wide.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Thanks for the feedback... A few days ago, at the end of 2023, I was about to place an order for an Oliver. However, the features that separate it from the rest of the fiberglass pack - specifically the the dual hull 4-season capability are lost on me. I'll never camp in winter. So, in this instance, the juice is not worth the squeeze. I Just want an upgrade to the Casita but without some of the unnecessary (to me) features of the Oliver and maybe the Big Foot. Price is not a major consideration but value is. I don't camp as much as many of you. On a good year, I use it about 4-6 weeks per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
I think from your post, that you would love an Escape. It's an interesting story of how you went from Casita to the disappointing Winnie and now to this inquiry.
The 19's currently "in stock" don't have a microwave nor the 12V compressor fridge. Not total deal breakers, as the Casita did not have them either, but these two items made the WB attractive and really worked well for me. How are today's absorption refrigerators used by Escape? In my Casita, I had engineer the installation of some some cooling fans that went behind the fridge that blew air onto the cooling fins so the fridge would keep things cold. Once I did this, I routinely got to the mid 30° range staying on the medium setting after the initial cool down.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:56 AM   #12
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
The 19's currently "in stock" don't have a microwave nor the 12V compressor fridge. Not total deal breakers, as the Casita did not have them either, but these two items made the WB attractive and really worked well for me. How are today's absorption refrigerators used by Escape? In my Casita, I had engineer the installation of some some cooling fans that went behind the fridge that blew air onto the cooling fins so the fridge would keep things cold. Once I did this, I routinely got to the mid 30° range staying on the medium setting after the initial cool down.
My E17 has the Dometic RM2454 4 cu 3 way frig. It came with a fan installed in the top vent that comes on in warm weather. Frig has worked well in temps of 100 f and a little higher (not sure I want to boondock in temps much higher). One advantage the 17 has is the frig is installed on the on the PS side of the trailer and the awning helps keep the sun off the vents and outer walls reducing heat buildup. FWIW.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
How are today's absorption refrigerators used by Escape? In my Casita, I had engineer the installation of some some cooling fans that went behind the fridge that blew air onto the cooling fins so the fridge would keep things cold. Once I did this, I routinely got to the mid 30° range staying on the medium setting after the initial cool down.
At the time I configured my E19 last year, the compressor fridge option was temporarily unavailable. That essentially forced me to choose the standard absorption fridge. I was initially disappointed with the lack of a compressor fridge option. However, I've had zero issues/concerns/regrets with the absorption fridge after a full season's use. It ran near-continuously from early-May to mid-October, functioned better than expected, and worked fine in temperature's as warm as about 90degF.

I think the roof-mount style upper fridge vent used on the E19 helps with cooling ability (compared to the wall vents used on the Casita).

Note that my trailer was one of the last ones built with the now-discontinued 5cuft Dometic absorption fridge. I don't have experience with the larger 6cuft absorption models that are now standard.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #14

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Escape will make some trailers where possible and swapping out a fridge or adding a microwave should be easy. Call ETI and ask if they can make the changes you want and the cost to do so. I came close to buying an inventory trailer back in 2017 but I and my wife really wanted a front window and unfortunately that was modification that they couldn't do.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
We have had absorption fridges in both our Casita and in our Escape, and both have worked fine. When we have shore power, we use 120v; when no shore power, we use propane. I gather if you have a compressor fridge you need either shore power, or a good source of electricity (generator or major solar/battery/inverter setup). So in my view the 'three-way' (120v, propane, 12v—which we never use) gives you more flexibility.