New Escape Member - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
PME

Trailer: 2020 21 NE
New Escape Member

Hello Escape Trailer community. We are set to pickup our trailer at the end of August, one of the 21NE's that was in inventory about to be built. We have enjoyed reading up in the forums about model features and modifications to the escapes before deciding to fill out the build sheet and make the deposit.
All of the discussions and experiences we followed (some threads going back more than three years) made joining the Escape trailer community very easy. We look foreword to traveling and meeting other Escape owners along the way. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge on this site.
So....having never pulled an RV before and living at or below sea level most of my life, what route would you recommend to cross to upper Michigan (above Wisconsin), I90 or I94? Any help and suggestions about road conditions and camping would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom and Pat
PME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Unless you're in a hurry to get somewhere, US-2 is a more leisurely and scenic route.
There are even more scenic and less traveled roads paralleling 2 that run right along the US/Canada border.

Sam

It's in the rushing that we miss the beauty.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PME View Post
Hello Escape Trailer community. We are set to pickup our trailer at the end of August, one of the 21NE's that was in inventory about to be built. We have enjoyed reading up in the forums about model features and modifications to the escapes before deciding to fill out the build sheet and make the deposit.
All of the discussions and experiences we followed (some threads going back more than three years) made joining the Escape trailer community very easy. We look foreword to traveling and meeting other Escape owners along the way. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge on this site.
So....having never pulled an RV before and living at or below sea level most of my life, what route would you recommend to cross to upper Michigan (above Wisconsin), I90 or I94? Any help and suggestions about road conditions and camping would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom and Pat
We took US 2 from Michigan's UP westward late last summer and it was fantastic. We cut southwest around Ft Peck in Montana so we didn't take it all the way to Washington, so I can't speak about that portion of it.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
PME

Being from flat lander country, I worry about my driving skills on smaller US highways. We lived in east Tennessee for a while but never pulled a travel trailer, only big Uhauls loaded to the max through the mountains around Knoxville.
Does anyone think I would have any trouble first time towing in the Cascades with a 21 behind a Tundra double cab?
When we were kids, my dad and mom took 5 kids out west with a VW buss and a pop up Colman for three months. Great memories of all the state and national parks but we did blow the engine in San Fransisco. Guess if he could do it then, I just have to follow his footsteps.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is always a first time. Load it level and properly and you should do fine......
Old 07-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

A good bit of US-2 is 4 lane.

Through Montana it follows parts of the Lewis & Clark Voyage of Discovery trail. Do some research and you will find some great places to stop.

A Tundra pulling a 21' is a great combination.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
PME

We lived in Keeweenaw County on the tip of The UP when first married for 8 years. My brother still lives there. Can't wait to see the Cascades and everything west of the Mississippi. We are pouring over maps, now I will read some history to help plan.

Thanks for all your suggestions, my confidence increases with all the advice and information.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
I don't think either I-90 or I-94 take you in the right direction for the U.P. As they go east they head toward Milwaukee, which is way south of where you want to go.

If you're going into the U.P. you will have to get used to driving 2-lane highways, because there aren't all that many 4-lane highways up that way (it's sparsely populated so not much need for them). Michigan state highways still generally have a 55 mph speed limit, by the way.

I have driven US-2 to/from Duluth on many vacations, and it's a good road with decent shoulders. Take it slow and easy until you can feel relaxed and confident, and enjoy the trip. You have a good, stable rig. You'll be okay!

If you're asking about camping within the U.P., consider the Porcupine Mountains SP, Gogebic SP, and the municipal CG in Ontonagon. West toward Duluth I've never camped along the way, but the state parks north of Duluth are delightfully scenic if you can get reservations (if not, Eckbeck state forest CG near Finland is first-come and has a few campsites you could fit into.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Trailer life magazine had a list of the most dangerous highways in the country a few years back. US2 was in the top 5.

I can't remember the criteria used to determine this.

I've been on US2 in three of the states in goes thru and don't remember anything I would consider any more dangerous than any other road.

Kinda boring in parts. Difficult to stay alert traveling in nothing but miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.

At my age, my mind tends to wander(but not far)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Being from flat lander country, I worry about my driving skills on smaller US highways. We lived in east Tennessee for a while but never pulled a travel trailer, only big Uhauls loaded to the max through the mountains around Knoxville.
Does anyone think I would have any trouble first time towing in the Cascades with a 21 behind a Tundra double cab?
When we were kids, my dad and mom took 5 kids out west with a VW buss and a pop up Colman for three months. Great memories of all the state and national parks but we did blow the engine in San Fransisco. Guess if he could do it then, I just have to follow his footsteps.
I did it when I picked up our 5.0TA with my Crew Cab Tundra. Went right over Hwy 20 with it. Ross lake and the Northern Cascade hwy on the second day it was open. I had no problem at all. The 5.0TA pulls a little differently, but similar to my other trailer.

There are lots of places to pull off and you can take it slow if you need. It is totally mountainous driving and I was fidgeting with the brake controller for a lot of it due to the newness of the brakes. But it was no problem. And it is quite pretty. If you are a confident type person, my guess is you will do fine.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

As John Steinbeck said in his epic road trip book Travels With Charley, “Interstates are a great way to travel between New York and Los Angeles and see nothing.”

Unless you’re in a huge rush, get out your atlas, find the roads indicated, usually, by a thin black line and just drift in the general direction you want to go. See the country and not just a line of traffic.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #12
PME

Sounds like I have a lot to learn about how to retire. Thanks for all the encouragement. Some more research and we should be on the road sometime in late August. I'm sure I'll have more questions about the trailer along the way.

Glad to know there are experienced Escapees out there just a click away.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Glad to know there are experienced Escapees out there just a click away.
Pat and Tom,
You’ve come to the right place! Also, look for the Escape Travel Trailer group on Facebook. Not as technical as here, but plenty of info too.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #14
PME

Pat found the Facebook Escape site a few days ago. We will never be far form information about the Escape, wherever we go! Can't wait to hitch up.

See y'all on the road.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I see you’re from Ocean Springs, my family on my mother’s side is from Gulfport. I’ve spent a ton of time down your way, although not recently. I really loved Ocean Springs! I live in the western US now but often think about sailing down there.

It’s a lot different in the PNW, but you’ll do fine with your combination! Just go slow at first and pull over when you get traffic behind you. I had never towed anything as big and heavy as my 19 when I pulled out of Bob’s Burgers in Sumas, but I learned fast!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote