New Member & Wanna Be Escape Owner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Under 20' FGT- Wanted
New Member & Wanna Be Escape Owner

Hello from Edmonton, Alberta,

I have been researching lightweight fibreglass trailers and stumbled upon this Chilliwack, BC builder.
I'm certain I want a fibreglass trailer but not sure what brand to buy.
I love the thought of buying Canadian made but can this forum of Escape trailer owners convince me that the Escape is the way to go. I can't afford to buy a lemon when my husband is not yet convinced yet to even buy a trailer. But me......I am extremely excited about purchasing a small lightweight trailer to tow behind my Mazda (manual) B4000 4x4. If you know of a used one for sale I'm interested now in the winter. (Canada preferred.)
Any pros, cons and leads you can give me I thank you ....much appreciated.
jillmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmack View Post
Hello from Edmonton, Alberta,

I have been researching lightweight fibreglass trailers and stumbled upon this Chilliwack, BC builder.
I'm certain I want a fibreglass trailer but not sure what brand to buy.
I love the thought of buying Canadian made but can this forum of Escape trailer owners convince me that the Escape is the way to go. I can't afford to buy a lemon when my husband is not yet convinced yet to even buy a trailer. But me......I am extremely excited about purchasing a small lightweight trailer to tow behind my Mazda (manual) B4000 4x4. If you know of a used one for sale I'm interested now in the winter. (Canada preferred.)
Any pros, cons and leads you can give me I thank you ....much appreciated.
Escape trailers are of very good quality. Your desire to purchase a “Canadian made” product is commendable. However, be aware that Canadian made and Canadian assembled are two different things. Like any other complex product, the actual parts may come from worldwide suppliers, just like they do in your Mazda. What you really are supporting are the jobs of the good folks (Canadian citizens) in Chilliwack who produce some of the components and using other components made elsewhere assemble a final product that is, in my opinion, the only trailer I would want to own. And as I understand it, the bulk of Escape’s sales are in the US, not Canada, so many “foreigners” prefer a “Canadian made” trailer over one made elsewhere. I am also a fan of the Alto, a product of Quebec. I think it is unique, especially the model with the roof that raises. The long expanse of glass walls really gives you the feeling you are “outside with nature.” The Alto is not a molded fiberglass trailer, however.
Fiberglass trailers are in big demand. You need to watch the classifieds on this site and on FGRV and be quick to pull the trigger if you see one that you like. If you rely on leads from others, the trailer will likely be already sold by the time you look at it. While I’m not sure of the towing capacity of your vehicle, you might want to consider a Scamp (assembled in Backus, MN) or a Casita (Assembled in Texas; Rice, TX I believe). I also do not know your budget but if you were to order a new Escape, you can customize it to suit you more so than any other trailer manufacturer will do. And finally, contact Escape (ETI). They sometimes have some “spec” trailers and/or trade ins available. Good luck in your search and also good luck when you inform your husband that the two of you have an RV in your future!
Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
SCAMP, CASITA? Terrible advice.

Escape is far superior quality. We live 2 hours from Scamp and looked closely before buying Escape. We couldn't be happier with our choice (5.0TA). Unless you are lucky to find a used, the long wait for a new build is worth it! You'll own it far longer than you'll wait!
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Escape trailers are of very good quality. Your desire to purchase a “Canadian made” product is commendable. However, be aware that Canadian made and Canadian assembled are two different things.

Even the resin may be imported from the US. I believe the company that used to supply ETI shut down and ETI had to import.
Lots of stuff is imported and exported:

Canadian exports of synthetic resins have grown from 38 percent of total shipments in 1990 to 89 percent in 2010. Imports of resins have also increased significantly during this period and by 2010 accounted for 90 percent of total domestic consumption. Trade with the United States predominates with 82 percent of exports going there and 87 percent of imports originating there in 2010. This growth in two way trade reflects rationalization and specialization of the resins industry on a North American basis, and the increasing use of complex, higher-performance engineering resins that are mostly not manufactured in Canada.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Your tug

I looked up your Mazda B4000. Looks like the Ford Ranger. You may have limitations on trailer size and type if that is what you'll tow with. Look up the specifications for towing weight for your exact model to get a better idea of your options.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
JillMack, I spent many years researching various trailers from stickbuilts to all aluminum to fiberglass "eggs" like Escape. I kept veering away from Escapes because I though they were too cramped and year after year spent trolling forums like this one and listening to the owners discuss their problems, dislikes etc I kept coming back to Escape because of build quality and bang for the buck. Now as an owner myself (albeit for only a couple of years and only two long and several short trips behind us) I can say that we have grown to truly love our Escape!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I am new to RV'ing. I have been tenting and backpacking until we got our Escape *though we still backpack). As I approach retirement having a few creature comforts, like a bed, heat, fridge etc is very appealing.

I spent roughly 5 years researching everything from Sprinter Van conversions, slide in campers for trucks, trailers of everything description from Jeep pop up campers, TAB, Airstream, Big Foot...you name it. I kept coming back to Escape. It didn't take long to eliminate any stick built trailers, including aluminum framed ones. Ultimately they leak. Escape gave me the build quality, options, construction method that made me feel the most comfortable, and yet still affordable (though that is a relative term)

We have had our Escape 19 for just over a year and are absolutely thrilled with it.
This forum also is amazing as they give you so much good information. It helped me make my decision and how to equip and modify the trailer.

As someone already commented, check your vehicle for towing capacity and just as importantly the payload capacity. The payload needs to include, driver, passenger, all accessories including hitch, tonneau cover and the tongue weight of the trailer. You will often find that the towing capacity might work, but the payload doesn't.

Good luck
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Have you looked at a escape ? If not call ETI and they will set you up with a owner close to you. Take you husband along and look over the trailer over yourself. Used ones do come up once in a while. They do sell quick. There is also big foot trailer . Just depends on what you want an budget is. good luck and welcome to the forum.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: Under 20' FGT- Wanted
Thank you very much to all that have replied. I appreciate your info and will take it all into consideration. Feeling good about my choice ....now to figure out towing capabilities. Cheers everyone.
jillmack is offline   Reply With Quote