Pre-delivery inspection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #1

Trailer: E19 due summer 2023, 1940 Waco UPF-7
Pre-delivery inspection

Hello all.
We have been members of the Escape Forum for several years and this is a first post.
I have been reading what seems like a thousand post from other members, I would first like to thank you all for the tremendous efforts made by so many to share your knowledge and experience on so many subjects. After being a recipient of your worthwhile information for over two years I hope that I will be of some use as a contributor when we pick up our new 2023 E19 F1 from Escape via Sumas, and gain some experience.

We put our deposit down over two years in 2021 with a build date of summer 2023. Since our deposit and going through the build sheet process, and during the build sheet process a few configuration changes were made by Escape at the very last minute.
1) the standard refrigerator is now a two door 7 cu ft model and the microwave cabinet above the refrigerator has been eliminated ( I didn’t want that but maybe it will work out real good after all . 2) the emergency escape window will no longer be able to open for ventilation (not happy about that one). No other changes that I can recall !

We plan on going to the factory the day before delivery to Sumas, and do a pre-delivery inspection. Does someone have a check list for inspection at the factory prior to receiving the unit as acceptable and hopefully I won’t need a punch list for things that need fixing.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Bill
Nelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 21
Take your time n Ck everything without them looking over your shoulder

And CONGRATULATIONS may you many wonderful adventures
Old 05-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I'm not sure how there would be enough room above the refrigerator unless it was a very small one. They do have a very large microwave cabinet above the closet.

We have only had our 21C since late October but I think you will be more than pleased with the amount of storage inside.

Enjoy your upcoming adventures.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
They do have a very large microwave cabinet above the closet.
The 19 does not space above the closet.

I’d make a screen for that window. It’s a lot of ventilation.

This forum is one of the things that had me choose an Escape over another Bigfoot. Lots of help and info here.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:53 PM   #5

[QUOTE=brroberts;446672]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB;446671They do have a very large microwave cabinet above the closet./QUOTE

The 19 does not space above the closet.

I’d make a screen for that window. It’s a lot of ventilation.

This forum is one of the things that had me choose an Escape over another Bigfoot. Lots of help and info here.
Well, I guess I need to read the instructions better before assembly.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve missed stuff too!!!
Old 05-22-2023, 10:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelo View Post

1) the standard refrigerator is now a two door 7 cu ft model and the microwave cabinet above the refrigerator has been eliminated ( I didn’t want that but maybe it will work out real good after all . 2) the emergency escape window will no longer be able to open for ventilation (not happy about that one). No other changes that I can recall !

hopefully I won’t need a punch list for things that need fixing.

Bill
Be happy, the two door fridge has proven so much better and useful than that single door fridge.

I'd put my own screen on the emergency window.

I've picked up both my trailers in person and actually didn't do any formal inspection. Just briefly looked inside. No problems as a result. Depends on your comfort level.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On both my Escapes I never did an inspection. The 19 I did help Reace and one employee finish so I could get to a rally in decent time. I had fun.

With the second one I only looked at modifications I had Escape do to the build and did have them do one little thing.

Otherwise my feeling is just to get it and go camping. Most everything you might find will be with aftermarket items attached to the trailer. I had a few things, almost all of which I quickly adjusted or fixed up.

A quick look for obvious things is about all you could do.

Basically I would say not to worry much, if should you find an issue, talk to Escape. Just go and make some wonderful memories while using your new Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Hello all.
We plan on going to the factory the day before delivery to Sumas, and do a pre-delivery inspection. Does someone have a check list for inspection at the factory prior to receiving the unit as acceptable and hopefully I won’t need a punch list for things that need fixing.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Bill
While predelivery inspection is an excellent idea, it will not flag some potential functional issues. After taking delivery in Sumas we reentered Canada and stayed (reservations) in BC at a full service private campground about 20 minutes away from ETI so we could test systems before leaving the area. Then a night or two without services at a local (government-run) lake campground. Pressurizing the water system did not show a problem, but as soon as we turned on the water heater (in camp), water began streaming down the outside of the trailer from the outside shower fittings. ETI replaced the unit and fixed two other issues before we moved east.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:50 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
We are also planing on going to the ETI the day before delivery in Suma but more to meet the people and a facility tour. A quick look at our new trailer and maybe tell us how to operate the major components.

We have reservations at a campground 20 minutes from Suma to camp for a few days and try out the trailer before we travel to far from the factory. If need be we can go back to the factory but not really expecting to need to.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We did the pre-delivery inspection at ETI as well. Great folks and they will spend as much time with you as you need. We were already travel trailer veterans, so a lot of it we already knew, but the young gentleman that went over our 5.0 with us was excellent at answering any of our questions.

They also had the most excellent salmon jerky treats for our dog, Sage, at least that's what Sage told us.

Enjoy the moment!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:48 AM   #12

Trailer: E19 due summer 2023, 1940 Waco UPF-7
Thanks to all for your response. They were helpful and it is nice to know the 7 cu ft fridge is a bonus.
We are planning on staying a night or two near Sumas, It’s an interesting plan to enter Canada after taking delivery in the US and stay close to the Escape factory.
Question, Is it a problem going either direction-US to Canada and then Canada to the US without registration or license plates on the new trailer?
Thanks so much
Bill
I also like salmon jerky-woof woof
Nelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Question, Is it a problem going either direction-US to Canada and then Canada to the US without registration or license plates on the new trailer?
Thanks so much
Bill
Not sure about going back into Canada, but we towed without tags all the way back to New Mexico without issue. I believe as long as you have all of your delivery paperwork handy and proof of insurance, you're golden.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2023 E19
I took delivery of my E19 a little over three weeks ago. I had no major issues the with pre-delivery walkthrough.

The only negative experience was dealing with a rude/impatient truck driver who had dropped off a load for the plant and could not maneuver his tractor/trailer around the trailers in the process of being delivered to exit the yard, due to a vehicle that had parked in a no parking zone. He decided to take his frustrations out on me. Not ETI's fault though.

My focus during the delivery process was to ensure that the trailer had all the options/features that I specified and make sure I fully understood how to properly use the WD hitch. The delivery rep answered all my questions, walked through all the systems, helped me to initially set up the brake controller, and made sure I was comfortable hitching/unhitching the trailer. Since this was to be my first-ever experience towing anything of this size, he also directed me to a nearby lot where I could practice maneuvering with the trailer before heading out.

I spent the first night at Cultus Lake (just outside of Chilliwack) to familiarize myself with the various systems. I learned not to open the new emergency exit window, as it looks like whole sash is designed to easily separate from the frame and fall away (ask me how I know). Fortunately, it wasn't much of an issue to reinstall it. It's not really a problem for me, as I had ordered the optional frameless venting rear window (the rest are framed), so there is still ample ventilation around the bed area.

By the time I arrived the Osoyoos the following day, the overhead and porch lights no longer worked. ETI was quick to reply to my service request with instructions on how to check wiring behind the switch panel. I had brought a meter with me, and it didn't take long to troubleshoot the issue (a wire had pulled out of a wago connector under the bed). So far, that's the only issue that I've encountered.

My E19 was one of the last ones built with the smaller 5cuft standard fridge. I'm actually happy I wasn't forced into the larger model. It's large enough for my purposes...and I find the cabinet above the fridge to be very useful (serves as my pantry). It's also a 3-way model....so I at least have the option to run it on DC while on the road.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Thanks to all for your response. They were helpful and it is nice to know the 7 cu ft fridge is a bonus.
We are planning on staying a night or two near Sumas, It’s an interesting plan to enter Canada after taking delivery in the US and stay close to the Escape factory.
Thanks so much
Bill
The only direction that I've been asked anything about the trailer is going South. Once in a while I'm told "I can't read your trailer license, do you know it". I'm not firmly convinced, with all those cameras, that they can't see the trailer license. I suspect that it's more of a screening question. Look flustered and they might ask to see your registration. I have my trailer license number on a piece of tape on the dash, just in case I forget.

I believe something is better than nothing. I've been in similar situations and I just go to a Washington State Motor Vehicle office and get a temporary permit. Even if it doesn't exactly cover the situation I believe having something displayed is better than nothing. Certainly for coming back into Canada having a temporary permit would be better than nothing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #16

Don't know about a camper but I covered Canada for nearly a decade in my previous job and while I love the Canadian people & culture the border guards were, in my opinion, not the most welcoming.

I suffered through the seemingly endless series of questions, redirects and pleasantries every time until they finally looked me in the eyes and said have a nice day. And that was just when I flew in on a direct flight from the states.

At the International Falls border gate when we crossed in to Canada to take our top 10 customers of the year on luxury fishing trips to Yellow Bird Lodge (Two bus loads on Yellow Bird Lodge buses) we were pulled aside and questioned for at least an hour over half the time.

Sorry to be so grim but I have not have the best border experience going to Canada.