Prospective buyer - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 29
Prospective buyer

I'm the owner of a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe I bought new in 2005. My folks were long-time RV'ers, their last ~20 active years as Airstreamers. So a fair amount of RV lifestyle experience plus lots of ag towing and even a stint with 2-horse+living quarters gooseneck along the way. My career (now retired) was in civil engineering and large-scale construction project management.

My current TV is a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. That's an AWD model with a rated capacity of 5k# gross trailer weight and max tongue weight of 600#. I wouldn't want to 'test' those limits, especially the tongue weight. My Casita rig is far below both of those limits and the Ridgeline handles it admirably. I'm very happy with the Ridgeline, it was my choice after many decades of life with various F-150's (and a few 250/350's along the way).

I'm now considering an RV 'upgrade' and the Escape 19 has seriously captured my attention. I'm trying (not too hard) to resist the temptations of the Escape 21 though the peeks of the "NE" I've glimpsed on Escape current inventory sheets are intriguing.

Bottom line, I'm a prospective purchaser, deep into research as engineers are wont to do, joined the forum to mainly lurk-and-learn with access to attachments, and maybe ask few questions.
__________________

Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sjnuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 357
Hi Centex,
I am in San Antonio and have a 2018, 19. If you want to come over and see our trailer we would be more than willing to show it to you. Just send me a note.

Steve
__________________

__________________
Steve and Cynthia
San Antonio, TX
Escape 19 "Why So Serious?"
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,123
I think someone here is towing a 19 with Ridgeline.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
James Gang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 250
I am in Austin. If you want to look, send me a message. I keep it in Kyle.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 29
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I think someone here is towing a 19 with Ridgeline.
Yes, thanks, site search has revealed lots of Ridgeline/Pilot + Escape owner experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
Hi Centex,
I am in San Antonio and have a 2018, 19 .....
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gang View Post
I am in Austin. If you want to look.... I keep it in Kyle
Thank you both for your kind offers, I'll likely take you up on them at a later date via PM.

I'm overdue for cabrito (Monterrey dinner, mmmm) at MiTierra and Kyle is an easy hop from my location in Bastrop County
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Humboldt County, California
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Posts: 51
Hi, Centex. Welcome aboard. I'm pretty new to the Escape experience also, having recently purchased a first generation 19 from an original owner. I have accumulated a bit of information that may be of interest to you.

My TV is a '17 Nissan Frontier 4x4 V-6. It does a good job of towing the 19, but I wouldn't say that it has abundant power. If I had already had the Escape when I bought the truck, I probably would have gone for a half ton well equipped for towing. Reports on this forum indicate that the fuel consumption while towing would likely be about the same, but the larger vehicle would more likely "dominate" the trailer, whereas the Frontier "manages" it.

The first generation 19 unladen weight is several hundred pounds less than that of the second generation, but even so, since my trailer has dual batteries and two propane tanks on the tongue, the tongue weight is a pretty whopping 420 pounds. I think total weights and tongue weights can vary a great deal depending on the specific trailer, the options selected ( and their location in your particular build), and the amount of equipment and supplies you will in fact be tacking along. It's surprising how that stuff all adds up! Just like your big engineering projects, staying within your budget is a never ending battle, so be prepared.

Regardless, have fun exploring the options, and be prepared to adapt.
__________________
Fog Lark
George Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #7
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'm the owner of a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe I bought new in 2005. My folks were long-time RV'ers, their last ~20 active years as Airstreamers. So a fair amount of RV lifestyle experience plus lots of ag towing and even a stint with 2-horse+living quarters gooseneck along the way. My career (now retired) was in civil engineering and large-scale construction project management.

My current TV is a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. That's an AWD model with a rated capacity of 5k# gross trailer weight and max tongue weight of 600#. I wouldn't want to 'test' those limits, especially the tongue weight. My Casita rig is far below both of those limits and the Ridgeline handles it admirably. I'm very happy with the Ridgeline, it was my choice after many decades of life with various F-150's (and a few 250/350's along the way).

I'm now considering an RV 'upgrade' and the Escape 19 has seriously captured my attention. I'm trying (not too hard) to resist the temptations of the Escape 21 though the peeks of the "NE" I've glimpsed on Escape current inventory sheets are intriguing.

Bottom line, I'm a prospective purchaser, deep into research as engineers are wont to do, joined the forum to mainly lurk-and-learn with access to attachments, and maybe ask few questions.
Might want to consider the 21; with a 4 inch wider width the aisle is huge compared to your Casita and the weight penalty is only a few hundred pounds over the 19. I originally wanted a 19 but changed after seeing the dedicated bed on the 21. My older 21 is 4200 lbs loaded for travel with a 425 tongue weight - towed by a Tacoma 4wd rated at 6400 lbs. Does fine over hills, but I stick to the slow lane in the Rockies.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Might want to consider the 21; with a 4 inch wider width the aisle is huge compared to your Casita and the weight penalty is only a few hundred pounds over the 19. I originally wanted a 19 but changed after seeing the dedicated bed on the 21. My older 21 is 4200 lbs loaded for travel with a 425 tongue weight - towed by a Tacoma 4wd rated at 6400 lbs. Does fine over hills, but I stick to the slow lane in the Rockies.
Thanks for your comments George. As we all know, everyone's priorities differ. Having owned, modified, and still enjoying my 17' Casita for ~14 years I think I've got a pretty good handle on my priorities and what I call "wants-and-needs".

Aisle width (~28" in my Casita) is not an area I'm feeling the need to increase. A 'dedicated' bed (permanent conversion of one of the 19's dinettes would provide that) and a larger reefer are certainly things of interest to me. Forfeiting the Casita's relatively roomy cross-wise front wet bath not so much (there's trade-offs in everything, lol).

I've long enjoyed the light weight and narrow overall width / small frontal area of the Casita when it comes to day-in-day-out towing. As you know both of those factor heavily () in towing ease and visibility. Every pound of weight and every inch of width contributes to load-demand on the TV underway, especially that critical frontal area and (exponentially increasing with speed) wind-drag factor. Relative to the Casita even the Escape 19 represents a meaningful increase in both of those, the 21 even more so.

Bottom line, I'm well acquainted with 'compact' RV's and the pros and cons of that. For me the pros are significant, I really enjoy the 'nimble', for lack of a better single word, handling and performance provided by my compact Casita.

If anything I'm more concerned about finding I've sacrificed what I enjoy about the Casita with any size / weight increase. Thus my drive to be very careful about the seduction of 'size & weight creep' (a little more here, a little more there, before ya know it the 'littles' add-up to an unintended / unsatisfying result ).

Given the above one might reasonably ask why I'm not considering the Escape 17B? Because I've already looked at it enough to know that'd be a 'lateral move' for me without enough gain to justify the change. In fact, for my priorities overall and in balance, it takes me the wrong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Regardless, have fun exploring the options, and be prepared to adapt.
If by "adapt" you mean 'adapt / modify' the RV to fit my particular wants-and-needs ... I'm 100% with you and prepared. If by "adapt" you mean change my own preferences and habits to fit the RV's un-alterable characteristics ... not so much.

It's quite possible that after thoroughly studying what's on today's market I don't change trailers at all. After 14 years I'm still impressed with the quality of the Casita's shell / chassis and how it's proven robust. The outcome of my shopping may well be another round of more radical mods to the Casita than those I've undertaken to date.
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Doug2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London, Ontario
Trailer: EX 2007 Escape 17B, 2020 E 19' on order
Posts: 411
Our dream trailer was the Escape 5.0TA. But ultimately we couldn't give up the truck bed. Keeping in mind, storage lots price storage 20' and over at a premium price and the good local campsites are 18 and under (I'll tell them my 19 is a 18), we chose the 19.

After owing a 1977 Trillium 4500 15' and a 2007 Escape 17B, we knew we would only be happy with the Escape 19. Looking at resale of the 19's, we just decided to order new and get what we want.
__________________
2020 Escape 19 still in Chilliwack
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L 4X4 DC
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,024
Hey Centex,
Bluebonnet rally is coming up in April, not far from you. It's usually got a fair amount of Escape Owners attending that you could spend some in-depth time with.
From your comments it sounds like it is just you using the trailer and not a significant other, if so, I'd think the Casita would be more than fine for one. For two people, just me personally, there isn't any comparison between a 19 dual axle Escape and a 17 Casita. The 19 is a different class of trailer and much roomier. My wife would definitely overrule me if I wanted a 17 Casita vs a 19 Escape.
The 17B would be the straight across comparison, but the rest of the Escape models are dual axle and definitely an upgrade.
Anyway, just my two cents, you have quite a bit of experience and know what you're wanting, so you'll arrive at the right decision for you.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
A 'dedicated' bed (permanent conversion of one of the 19's dinettes would provide that) and a larger reefer are certainly things of interest to me.
The 19 has a permanent queen in the rear. No conversions necessary. Only in the 17 are there two dinettes one of which could be converted to a permanent bed if desired.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The 19 has a permanent queen in the rear. No conversions necessary. Only in the 17 are there two dinettes one of which could be converted to a permanent bed if desired.
Yeah, thanks for the correction, got my Escape's scrambled there
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirt Deluxe
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Thanks for your comments George. As we all know, everyone's priorities differ. Having owned, modified, and still enjoying my 17' Casita for ~14 years I think I've got a pretty good handle on my priorities and what I call "wants-and-needs".

Aisle width (~28" in my Casita) is not an area I'm feeling the need to increase. A 'dedicated' bed (permanent conversion of one of the 19's dinettes would provide that) and a larger reefer are certainly things of interest to me. Forfeiting the Casita's relatively roomy cross-wise front wet bath not so much (there's trade-offs in everything, lol).

I've long enjoyed the light weight and narrow overall width / small frontal area of the Casita when it comes to day-in-day-out towing. As you know both of those factor heavily () in towing ease and visibility. Every pound of weight and every inch of width contributes to load-demand on the TV underway, especially that critical frontal area and (exponentially increasing with speed) wind-drag factor. Relative to the Casita even the Escape 19 represents a meaningful increase in both of those, the 21 even more so.

Bottom line, I'm well acquainted with 'compact' RV's and the pros and cons of that. For me the pros are significant, I really enjoy the 'nimble', for lack of a better single word, handling and performance provided by my compact Casita.

If anything I'm more concerned about finding I've sacrificed what I enjoy about the Casita with any size / weight increase. Thus my drive to be very careful about the seduction of 'size & weight creep' (a little more here, a little more there, before ya know it the 'littles' add-up to an unintended / unsatisfying result ).

Given the above one might reasonably ask why I'm not considering the Escape 17B? Because I've already looked at it enough to know that'd be a 'lateral move' for me without enough gain to justify the change. In fact, for my priorities overall and in balance, it takes me the wrong direction.

If by "adapt" you mean 'adapt / modify' the RV to fit my particular wants-and-needs ... I'm 100% with you and prepared. If by "adapt" you mean change my own preferences and habits to fit the RV's un-alterable characteristics ... not so much.

It's quite possible that after thoroughly studying what's on today's market I don't change trailers at all. After 14 years I'm still impressed with the quality of the Casita's shell / chassis and how it's proven robust. The outcome of my shopping may well be another round of more radical mods to the Casita than those I've undertaken to date.

Do you travel alone or with spouse? I just ask because when me and the wife travel in the casita I always thinking i need a little more room. A few times I travel alone and I always say wow this camper is great. I am kinda in the same boat looking to step up a 19 but wonder if if it will be as nimble is the casita. I tow with v-6 Tacoma. I know the truck will do it but it tows the casita with ease. I also looked at 17B and love that trailer. to me it has a few advantages of the casita duel batters on bumper and enough roof for 190 watts of solar. After considering the 17B i felt it was not enough of upgrade to buy new. The 19 has the queen bed and and bigger table . even know the bath is smaller than the casita it is taller.I feel for me and the wife the size is perfect. One Thing i wish i could do is hook on a 19 and tow it down the road. So maybe you could get a chance to do that . I think you know in a few miles if it was for you. I love the layout of the 19. But if i was a solo traveler it be a 17B or casita.One things for sure there several prior casita owners in escape 19 or 21 and I haven't found any going back but there our a few that up sized there truck after going to a 21


One more thing I hate the blinds in the casita Love the escape shades
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Do you travel alone or with spouse?
Call me a solo traveler (long divorced with an occasional guest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
One more thing I hate the blinds in the casita Love the escape shades
After 14 years I don't even remember what OE the Casita had, they're very long ago replaced with a shades mod, maybe my first of many

Big / multiple batteries and/or solar are not a priority for me. I'm 95% in places with electric hookups or in (motorcycle) racing paddocks where running generators is de rigueur. Two old but trusty EU2000i's are part of my rig, running one or the pair as needed for the air conditioner, coffeemaker, microwave, etc. I'm mostly in hot climates which I love in the daytime but too cranky to put up with sweating when I sleep (as is my occasional guest )
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,760
Centex: Based on what I am reading you would love the 19. Many advantages/improvements over Scamp/Casita. It’s not just longer, but also a bit wider and taller which makes it feel way more spacious. Not too big though. Still pretty nimble even with the dual axles and your Ridgeline should handle it just fine.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 29
Thumbs up

rubicon327: That's why I'm here and studying - you may well be right

I must mention that registering with the forum to be able to see all the pics / attachments in posts has been most enlightening. I spent waay too late into last night reveling in the wealth of info, about both mods and the OE details of the Escape 19 in Eggscape's great mods thread. Running across the pdf with 19 dimensions was a gem, too, and I'm sure there's much more to come.

Nice forum, nice folks, thanks for sharing your Escape experiences.
__________________

Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×