Insuring an escape in British Columbia - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17A
Insuring an escape in British Columbia

Hi all --

We have now taken ownership of our 2018 17A (named Phoebe, for those who want to know). We haven't picked her up yet due to the snow in the Lower Mainland, but we'll go get her soon.

I'm curious to hear from other BC Escape owners about what they do for their ICBC declared value. We've been learning some hard lessons about this number while negotiating the total loss of our small motorhome due to an engine fire. I've put the declared value on Phoebe at $50k, which is about 50% more than what we paid but less than what it would be to replace her new. I'm keen to hear advice from others.

Also, do you have contents insurance? Any recommended insurers? I deal with BCAA for all of our insurance outside of ICBC.

Thanks,

Sarah
Sarah Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We use ICBC for the basic coverage then Premier Marine Insurance for the optional coverage. We bought the optional through a Intact agent. Premium was $292 for the optional.

About six weeks ago we were travelling from the Okanagan to Kamloops. Somewhere along the way 1/2 of the rear window completely shattered. No idea how it happened. We noticed it when we arrived in Kamloops. I made an online claim with Premier Marine, the only way you can make a claim. Within 2 hours I was contacted by an adjuster from within Kamloops. Within 15 minutes of that call the adjuster was on the scene. Took some photos and verified the claim. I meanwhile contacted Escape and they were able to sell me a complete window assembly. The adjuster verified I could buy the window from Escape, find an authorized RV place to install, get the work done and submit the claim. Everything was repaired within 2 weeks (had to wait for an RV place to install) and the payment was completed within 4 weeks of the initial claim.

I was very impressed
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

One thing that came in very handy to make some makeshift repairs to the window was having some large garbage bags, some very stiff cardboard and some duct tape. Put the stiff cardboard in the plastic bags to give it some strength, then duct taped the crap out of it. We made it back to Vancouver in a torrential downpour and not a drop of water got in the trailer. Kind of like Apollo 13.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2023 21C
Curious, what does your additional insurance cover above ICBC?
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #5

Much the same as ICBC Car insurance. Basic coverage from ICBC will cover a third party if they are damaged by your trailer but you are not covered for much else. Optional coverage covers theft, damage, in my case the window, or if a tree fell on your trailer etc etc. You can get this optional coverage from ICBC as well, but often a private insurance company is less expensive
Old 12-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
I do the same, the ICBC is mandatory for third party coverage, the optional full coverage is via an endorsement/rider on my home insurance policy. For my 2014 17B its $278.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 17A
Thanks, folks. And any thoughts on declared value for your ICBC insurance?
Sarah Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #8

Our purchase price in 2019 was $41,000 CAD, but we made some mods like a 12V fridge and some lithium batteries, so we had a declared value of $45,000 CAD
Old 12-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It is a bit tricky. If you declare a low value and the loss is higher you're deemed to be a co-insurer. You then will have to pay a percentage of any loss.

Guess they don't care if you declare a higher value than it might sell for because you're paying a higher premium to do so.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
One thing that came in very handy to make some makeshift repairs to the window was having some large garbage bags, some very stiff cardboard and some duct tape. Put the stiff cardboard in the plastic bags to give it some strength, then duct taped the crap out of it. We made it back to Vancouver in a torrential downpour and not a drop of water got in the trailer. Kind of like Apollo 13.
I always carry a piece of cardboard larger than my largest window in the mattress just in case we shatter a window. You never know.