Bluetooth levels - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Bluetooth levels

I hope this is the best category for this. I have a question about a non essential, but a convenience - bluetooth levels. Level Mate vs Hitch Pitch? Which one is best and why?

I just get tired of spirit levels being off level, leaking, falling off etc. It’s not a big deal, but this new tech seems like it might be easier. After all, getting fairly close to level doesn’t take much effort, and that’s really close enough.

Carl said he preferred the Hitch Pitch, but did not say why.
“I personally believe that the Hitch Pitch is a better product than the Level Mate. I have experience using both. Only needed if you don’t have a co-pilot to watch the levels on the trailer. Not even needed then if you are OK with hopping in and out a few times when setting up. If you can, I personally would return the Level Mate.”

The LevelMate seems more popular. The WoBLR seems to have many connection issues, but good customer service. Poor connection makes it non functioning; therefore, it is not an option. The RV Level 4 doesn’t seem to have much info other than Jim Bennett installed one.

The cheapest is the Hitch Pitch.

Thoughts on the products?
Old 05-11-2021, 11:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I hope this is the best category for this. I have a question about a non essential, but a convenience - bluetooth levels. Level Mate vs Hitch Pitch? Which one is best and why?

I just get tired of spirit levels being off level, leaking, falling off etc. It’s not a big deal, but this new tech seems like it might be easier. After all, getting fairly close to level doesn’t take much effort, and that’s really close enough.

“I personally believe that the Hitch Pitch is a better product than the Level Mate. I have experience using both. Only needed if you don’t have a co-pilot to watch the levels on the trailer. Not even needed then if you are OK with hopping in and out a few times when setting up. If you can, I personally would return the Level Mate.”

The LevelMate seems more popular. The WoBLR seems to have many connection issues, but good customer service. Poor connection makes it non functioning; therefore, it is not an option. The RV Level 4 doesn’t seem to have much info other than Jim Bennett installed one.

The cheapest is the Hitch Pitch.

Thoughts on the products?
I have the levelmate pro plus coming tomorrow, I’ll give an impression after setup
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I am a solo-traveler and I do tire of hopping-in-an-out of the truck when 'scouting sites' and leveling. I welcome tools that get me kicked-back under the awning with a cool beverage () quicker and with less effort and am willing to pay for those tools .

I'm impressed with what I've seen about the Level Mate, and there's more than a few YouTubes demonstrating it's complete use from out-of-the-box to trailer leveling. I've BTDT with the 'big level visible in the rear view mirror' on the front of the trailer, clearly the Level Mate offers more convenience and more functionality.

My google-foo has failed to reveal anything about the Hitch Pitch other than the one mfr video and website info which gives no hint about the "Adjust Calibration" or "Set Zero Point" functions seen on the setup screenshot :

Hitch Pitch may be great, but the lack of independent video reviews and of detailed info on its complete use is off-putting for me (I suspect there's more to it than the mfr video indicates); please post links if anyone finds more info on the full operation of that unit - I need to be sold on its attributes.

Yeah, the Level Mate costs more, but it seems to offer features and an interface that I would find convenient and 'friendly', and I'm willing to pay for that.

Thanks for starting the thread, Randy, subscribed to follow and learn ....
Old 05-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

OK, you want reasons, here they are.

1. Level Mate requires input of measurements because it will indicate how far out of level the trailer is. BFD! When you are in the cab (you still have to get out to turn either one of these devices on) trying to level the trailer with no copilot to watch the spirit levels mounted on the trailer, do you really care if it is 2-inches off or one inch off? You just want the trailer level. The Hitch Pitch is more like a bubble level. It displays which side and end are high (or low) on the smart phone and emits a beeping sound that changes speed as you get closer and closer to level.

2. The Level Mate could chew through its battery rather quickly, requiring replacement. The Hitch Pitch is rechargeable and it lasted for a 4 month trip never requiring a charge.

3. The Level Mate has to be firmly mounted on a vertical surface. The Hitch Pitch has a magnetic base. I met that need by attaching a blank steel electrical box cover to the floor of one of my outside storage compartments.

4. And the biggest reason is when I got the trailer “perfectly” level (0° side-to-side and front-to-back) with the Level Mate, if I switched it off and then immediately back on, it invariably indicated that I was no longer perfectly level. While maybe only a bit off, the inconsistency bothered me, making me question just how accurate the Level Mate was given that results were not “repeatable.” The Hitch Pitch has, for me, remained “dead on balls accurate” (Marissa Tomei, My Cousin Vinny) if I turn it off and turn it back on immediately.

While I was tempted to throw the Level Mate in the trash because I perceived it as just that, I donated it to the giveaway drawing at Scamp Camp in Florida, February 2020, just before COVID-19 became rampant.

I’m not going to convince anyone who believes the Level Mate is the way to go. Perhaps I had a “defective”unit, but I don’t believe I did. Lack of videos or not, I would say that some companies may have better marketing campaigns; marketing doesn’t make their products superior. I came to the conclusion that the higher priced Level Mate was far less accurate than the Hitch Pitch. I will not say the Level Mate is a POS, but I wish I had not spent my money on it.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the info so far.

LM: I could that see inches off level for those few times you have to resort to blocks when ramps aren’t enough would occasionally be helpful.

HP: I can also see the longer battery life being very helpful.
Obviously both of these are expensive, but the HP is considerably cheaper.

Ultimate accuracy probably doesn’t really matter in this application, just close enough to be comfortable. However; this is a lot of money to do this, so expecting high accuracy is not out of line.

I could see me just putting the HP on the tongue when I get out to check the site before backing in vs having to go in the trailer to turn on LM. I’m sure some people would just wire them into 12V, but I tend to only use the power I really choose. Little things that stay on I tend to remove. That’s just me. In this current age that’s hard to do.

So the decision is.....Not made yet, but the tech looks promising.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thanks for the info so far.

LM: I could that see inches off level for those few times you have to resort to blocks when ramps aren’t enough would occasionally be helpful.

HP: I can also see the longer battery life being very helpful.
Obviously both of these are expensive, but the HP is considerably cheaper.

Ultimate accuracy probably doesn’t really matter in this application, just close enough to be comfortable. However; this is a lot of money to do this, so expecting high accuracy is not out of line.

I could see me just putting the HP on the tongue when I get out to check the site before backing in vs having to go in the trailer to turn on LM. I’m sure some people would just wire them into 12V, but I tend to only use the power I really choose. Little things that stay on I tend to remove. That’s just me. In this current age that’s hard to do.

So the decision is.....Not made yet, but the tech looks promising.
Randy, the LM is not 12v, or at least was not back in the day. Mine used, if I remember correctly, it uses AA batteries, but it might have been AAA. Maybe LM has changed its power source. And because I use Andersen levelers, the actual measure of how much I am “off level” is essentially useless (to me) prior to driving or backing on the Andersens. For me, it only matters leveling side to side, because you do not typically level front-to-back until disconnected (except in a situation I will also address later), and any spirit level on the tongue will tell you when you are level front-to-back when cranking the front jack up or down. In the 5.0TA, there is a stick on level adjacent to the landing gear controls so front-to-back is easy. Actually, because I am rarely alone and my spouse gets out to direct me if I am backing into a site or watching the stick-on level in the back if in a pull-through site, I do not always use the Hitch Pitch. Where I find it most useful is overnight stops when I do not want to disconnect. I can usually find a suitably level sight for the refrigerator by slowly driving around the area and watching the Hitch Pitch on the phone. However, you are correct that “perfectly” level is not necessary; just close enough. Either the HP or LM would be a much appreciated device for the solo traveler.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

They all run on batteries or USB, but it’s easy to pull USB power or charging from a 12v source. The LM uses a coin type battery with a short life. The plus model has a larger battery, but cost more and still a relatively short life. I doubt anyone care about front to back level before getting level side to side.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #8

Carl, thanks for sharing your experience and opinion here as you did when we corresponded by PM a while back, the food for thought is appreciated

Re: battery life ... is it correct that all of the units being discussed here go into a 'sleep mode' or or shut themselves 'off' after some period of inactivity to aid in that regard?
Old 05-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

Level mate uses cheap cr2032 batteries
Level mate pro plus uses less common larger cr2450, plus you can plug it in a USB port unlike the original that needed 12volt. I plan to mount it by a usb outlet and shut it off while towing , I like watch app easier to deal while going up the levelers. It’s pricier, but I think the features are strong. Plus I like tech gadgets as I made my living with it for 25 years. The only concern I have on the other one is market penetration and future app updates as iOS changes rapidly. I’ll report after installation
Old 05-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
.... The only concern I have on the other one is market penetration and future app updates as iOS changes rapidly.
A slight tangent but IMO that's a valid concern with regard to many convenient tools that rely on Bluetooth and associated apps (e.g Victron solar controllers and monitoring devices, vehicle OBD monitoring tools, etc, etc).

Perhaps not a 'perfect solution' but long ago I purchased an inexpensive "no-SIM" Android device (a Cricket cellphone in my case) that is dedicated for use with such tools and apps. There's plenty of WiFi-only tablets, both Android and IOS, that function similarly.

Lacking any SIM for cell service / 'direct' internet connection capability, I download apps 'indirectly' using the device's WiFi connection. I have total control of OS and app updates and can choose to keep it 'locked' in an 'obsolete' but perfectly functional version for my purposes as I choose. I'm still enjoying the use of several such tools that have been completely discontinued and are no longer supported at all by the manufacturer.

Personally I like not having such stuff on my iPhone / primary daily-use device, but having a dedicated device just for those 'toys and convenient tools'. YMMV.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Carl, thanks for sharing your experience and opinion here as you did when we corresponded by PM a while back, the food for thought is appreciated

Re: battery life ... is it correct that all of the units being discussed here go into a 'sleep mode' or or shut themselves 'off' after some period of inactivity to aid in that regard?
It has been some time since I gave the LM Pro away. I remember it turned on with a sliding switch. I do not remember if it went into sleep mode after a period of inactivity, but it probably did. I just remember having to change the battery frequently and what I considered to be inconsistency. The HP has a push button on the top and it does shut down after a period of non-use. I personally prefer the HP both for price and simplicity, but both will do the job without you having to get out of the tow vehicle.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Perhaps not a 'perfect solution' but long ago I purchased an inexpensive "no-SIM" Android device (a Cricket cellphone in my case) that is dedicated for use with such tools and apps. There's plenty of WiFi-only tablets, both Android and IOS, that function similarly.
Alan: Not to misdirect this thread but did you notice the BOE Marine site review of the Xantrex Freedom XC remote with Bluetooth that says it does not work with Android devices?
Old 05-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #13

More info on LevelMate. Quick response from Hitch-Pitch on my questions. Hitch-Pitch is currently $55 cheaper, so for an item that is simply convince, I bought Hitch-Pitch. I’m sure they would either be useful to me.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
More info on LevelMate. Quick response from Hitch-Pitch on my questions. Hitch-Pitch is currently $55 cheaper, so for an item that is simply convince, I bought Hitch-Pitch. I’m sure they would either be useful to me.
Be interested in your impressions, I’m installing my LevelMatePRO plus today
Old 05-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
LevelMatePro & Power Switch & batteries

As noted by some, the LevelMatePro will use up batteries if you leave it on all the time.

The versions currently offered by Amazon.com include an on/off switch for powering the unit (https://www.amazon.com/LogicBlue-Tec...dDbGljaz10cnVl)

I only have my unit powered when I am leveling the trailer. When we arrive at the site, I turn it on, and once leveling is complete, I turn it off again. By doing this, the original battery has lasted more than a year.

However, I know one day I will forget, Thus I bought a 6 pack of the CR2032 batteries just in case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Fortunately, the batteries are relatively cheap (between $1 to $2 per battery), are easy to store, and have a 10 year shelf life.

- Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #16
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
I've been using the LevelMate Pro for the past couple of years, and would not travel without it. It is just SO SIMPLE! I figure out which side needs our Anderson Levelers, get them set up, and then pull on to them slowly while watching the Level on my phone. Get to zero, and voila! No more back and forth to check (when I'm alone) or coordinating with my wife who is yelling at me to go one way or another. Get one. You won't regret it.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Personally I like not having such stuff on my iPhone / primary daily-use device, but having a dedicated device just for those 'toys and convenient tools'. YMMV.
Agreed. At this point I have pretty much dedicated an older Android tablet for use when traveling. During trips I mount it on a floor-mounted "stalk" cobbled together from various RAM Mount parts. I run the CoPilot GPS app, the Victron apps, other travel- and trailer-related stuff on it. I only use CoPilot when driving, though.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found Bluetooth tech to be sketchy at best. It's good for a mouse or trackpad, but for anything else the failure rate is significant and doesn't seem to be getting any better. That has been my experience anyway.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Oops, I meant to post this pic:
Attached Thumbnails
20210513_travel_stalk.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Agreed. At this point I have pretty much dedicated an older Android tablet for use when traveling. During trips I mount it on a floor-mounted "stalk" cobbled together from various RAM Mount parts. I run the CoPilot GPS app, the Victron apps, other travel- and trailer-related stuff on it. I only use CoPilot when driving, though.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found Bluetooth tech to be sketchy at best. It's good for a mouse or trackpad, but for anything else the failure rate is significant and doesn't seem to be getting any better. That has been my experience anyway.
Bluetooth 5 is quite reliable and has a decent range. I just setup the levelmate and it’s solid connection. So far so good
Old 05-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
As noted by some, the LevelMatePro will use up batteries if you leave it on all the time.

The versions currently offered by Amazon.com include an on/off switch for powering the unit (https://www.amazon.com/LogicBlue-Tec...dDbGljaz10cnVl)

I only have my unit powered when I am leveling the trailer. When we arrive at the site, I turn it on, and once leveling is complete, I turn it off again. By doing this, the original battery has lasted more than a year.

However, I know one day I will forget, Thus I bought a 6 pack of the CR2032 batteries just in case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Fortunately, the batteries are relatively cheap (between $1 to $2 per battery), are easy to store, and have a 10 year shelf life.

- Bea
Also the levelmate pro plus uses a much larger cr2450 battery as well as a micro usb connection