Buying a 2011 escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Buying a 2011 escape 19

We've been looking at Escapes for a while now, and of course finding very few of them. We are on the list for a new, but have recently found a 2011 for sale.

I've looked through the threads as best as I could, but still have a few questions that I thought someone might help me with.

The 3" frame: If it is a 3" frame I'll be looking to see that the frame has been reinforced with the gussets, as stated in the recall, which I've read up on (gusset and body mount). But I did see another thread about a second reinforcement under the frame, and I'm curious about that.

Fridge: The RM8555/RM8551 are the ones with a problem (I think). Does anyone know if the 2011 had this one and how easy is it to find the model number?

Tank sizes. is the fresh water tank and grey/black water tank the same size on the 2011 as the new models.

Are there any other items that I should be paying close attention to when viewing the trailer? Unfortunately i'm doing the viewing by facetime through my brother in law and not in person.

I've really enjoyed my time looking through the threads and information on this forum, and the general positive nature is quite wonderful.

Thanks all, and hope you're having a great end to your summer (if you got one, I'm in Prince Rupert, so we chose not to have summer this year

Wilf.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
We've been looking at Escapes for a while now, and of course finding very few of them. We are on the list for a new, but have recently found a 2011 for sale.

I've looked through the threads as best as I could, but still have a few questions that I thought someone might help me with.

The 3" frame: If it is a 3" frame I'll be looking to see that the frame has been reinforced with the gussets, as stated in the recall, which I've read up on (gusset and body mount). But I did see another thread about a second reinforcement under the frame, and I'm curious about that.

Fridge: The RM8555/RM8551 are the ones with a problem (I think). Does anyone know if the 2011 had this one and how easy is it to find the model number?

Tank sizes. is the fresh water tank and grey/black water tank the same size on the 2011 as the new models.

Are there any other items that I should be paying close attention to when viewing the trailer? Unfortunately i'm doing the viewing by facetime through my brother in law and not in person.

I've really enjoyed my time looking through the threads and information on this forum, and the general positive nature is quite wonderful.

Thanks all, and hope you're having a great end to your summer (if you got one, I'm in Prince Rupert, so we chose not to have summer this year

Wilf.
We have a 2013 19 but we lucked out with a 4 in frame . As long as you have the reenforced frame I wouldn’t be concerned .
We also have the 8551 refrigerator . I made some improvements , insulation in refrigerator cabinet , fans . Refrigerator was greatly improved and we find working since below 40 on 4 with extreme outside temps many times in the 100 ‘s
The tank sizes increased on the newer models for example the fresh went from 20 gal to 28 . We can carry an extra 20 gal with our containers if we were boondocking .Not sure about the black and grey . Our black tank has never been a problem but the grey fills pretty fast . Easy to get rid of though .
If the trailer is in pretty good shape . Pretty much everything can be fixed or improved
Most of us have improved or fixed our new trailers anyway . Pat
Old 10-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I am not sure that the 2011 model had the RMx series of refrigerators. The 2010 did not and I thought the 2014 was the first to have that model. The years may not be exact as Escape did not make changes on December 31 but through out the year.

If by chance you have the RMx series there is a wealth of information here on the forum on how to deal with it. Items such as wind shields while driving, cleaning the orifice and the already mentioned insulation.

Some things that might need replacing would be the water pump and/or batteries. After that it is what care it has been given. Leaky water heater, toilet valve are two that come to mind.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
This is the forum thread discussing the second frame recall, which is specific to the 19':
UPDATE - 19' with 3" frame (April 3 2018)
This recall will apply to any 2011 19', because they all had this 3" frame. The bent square tube added to the bottom of the frame in this fix is visually very obvious, so it should be easy to confirm that it has been done. Escape should also be able to tell you if it has been done, from their records.

If the fix hasn't been done, I assume that Escape will still provide the kit and pay for the work - if the frame hasn't cracked apart yet, I wouldn't have an issue with getting the trailer even without the fix and getting the work done now.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Most Dometic fridges have a sticker inside with model number. The 2011 probably has the RM2510. This is a trusty manual fridge with a good track record. No control boards with auto changeover and no 12V necessary except for reigniter. I did do some tweaks to make it work really well in hot weather because the factory installation could have been better.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...est-11296.html
Old 10-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What to look for.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge label.jpg  
Old 10-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The tank sizes increased on the newer models for example the fresh went from 20 gal to 28. We can carry an extra 20 gal with our containers if we were boondocking. Not sure about the black and grey.
Classic 19 tank sizes:
Fresh: 20 gallon
Gray: 26 gallon
Black: 14 gallon

2nd generation 19 tank sizes:
Fresh: 28 gallon (+8 versus Classic)
Gray: 28 gallon (+2 versus Classic)
Black: 19 gallon (+5 versus Classic)

All 19's have always had and still do have a 6 gallon hot water tank as part of the Suburban SW6D(E) hot water heater.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Classic 19 tank sizes:
Fresh: 20 gallon
Gray: 26 gallon
Black: 14 gallon

2nd generation 19 tank sizes:
Fresh: 28 gallon (+8 versus Classic)
Gray: 28 gallon (+2 versus Classic)
Black: 19 gallon (+5 versus Classic)

All 19's have always had and still do have a 6 gallon hot water tank as part of the Suburban SW6D(E) hot water heater.
Hi Dave again a shout out to you for the gift of the dumb valve improvement ! Yes you are right think of you every time we use also every time happen to walk by trailer sitting at home right now and see the new valves ! Pat
Old 10-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Dave again a shout out to you for the gift of the dumb valve improvement ! Yes you are right think of you every time we use also every time happen to walk by trailer sitting at home right now and see the new valves ! Pat
Hi Pat! Glad you are enjoying the new dump valves. Really nice having them both facing outward. Glad Escape is doing that stock on the newer trailers.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi Pat! Glad you are enjoying the new dump valves. Really nice having them both facing outward. Glad Escape is doing that stock on the newer trailers.
Dave Pat
Old 10-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
If the trailer is in pretty good shape . Pretty much everything can be fixed or improved. Most of us have improved or fixed our new trailers anyway.
x2. The early 19’s are solid trailers. Make sure the frame recall is done and go have some fun. RM2510 fridge is generally problem free, very few window problems with the traditional sliders, very few furnace issues with the trusty Atwood 8012-II Hydro Flame model, very few issues with manual Carefree Fiesta awning, haven’t heard many plumbing issues....

I know our 19 inside and out. Fell free to ask any questions. By the way we committed to ours sight unseen except for some pictures. If you take too long to commit it may be gone!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
19s

Quote:
x2. The early 19’s are solid trailers. Make sure the frame recall is done and go have some fun. RM2510 fridge is generally problem free, very few window problems with the traditional sliders, very few furnace issues with the trusty Atwood 8012-II Hydro Flame model, very few issues with manual Carefree Fiesta awning, haven’t heard many plumbing issues....

I know our 19 inside and out. Fell free to ask any questions. By the way we committed to ours sight unseen except for some pictures. If you take too long to commit it may be gone!
Our experience with the 2010 we had was trouble free and mirrors the comments made above. The only very minor problem was some water penetration into the window channels because I had not cleaned the weep holes were plugged with leaf and other airborne debris. Entirely a shortcoming on my part and once done, no more problems. I would not hesitate for a minute to buy a well maintained, unabused Escape of that vintage and iteration.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Thank you all very much.

We have...purchased...an....ESCAPE!!!

All of your information was very valuable, especially when doing a long distance purchase. It is now sitting at my father in laws place, 4,500km's away. We are very excited, and we do have some work to do, but it is much less daunting knowing that we do have some resources (such as this forum).

The classic screen frame has an issue, but I have found the thread that has links to the company that still makes them.

I also need to order new awning arms from Escape as I guess they are pre-bent by Escape.

And it has the cot option, but only the bars are included, so need to order the cot fabric.

This trailer hasn't been as cared for as many of the Escapes that I've seen, but the price reflected it and I'll enjoy bringing back its shine.

Again, thank you all very much and I'm gonna guess that i'll be sending a question or two your way sometime soon !!

Wilf